Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do you use your handbrake when stood in traffic ?

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2007, 12:54 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do you use your handbrake when stood in traffic ?

Following on from the foglight discussion, do you drive as prescribed by the DSA and secure your car on the handbrake when stationary at junctions. If you are the first or second car you should be on the handbrake, but in gear ready to react, but why doesn't everyone else take the opportunity to rest their legs for a few moments, make the world a safer place and knock it out of gear whilst safely locked on the handbrake ? Almost every car I see, and I do look as I am a driving instructor, is sat there with one foot on the brake, the other on the clutch and in gear. Not only are you blinding the guy behind with your brake lights, but if struck from behind you will [probably] loose control of the pedals whilst in gear and be propelled possibly into crossing traffic like a pinball. You are also potentially causing damage to your braking system

Come on then, roughly 3 out of 4 I see do this, is it you ?
Old 22 December 2007, 01:10 AM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

There was a thing on the news about this....apparently hospitals are seeing more and more people with eye problems that they think are caused, at least in part, by looking directly at brake lights when in traffic. Scary stuff......the doctors said it was almost as common as talkingnonsenseitus which they are seeing a lot of.
Old 22 December 2007, 07:15 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Its funny to see all these do you do this or do you do that threads appearing...

it could be said that these are almost admissions of what you dont do, and by getting others to agree, it would make it all right

I use the handbrake where its use is required like wise fogs, indicators, hazards etc.

Mart
Old 22 December 2007, 07:43 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

As the OP I'll tell you now, I use the handbrake whenever it is suitable to. I also only ever use my fogs in conditions prescribed by the HC and RTA, always indicate at junctions and know how to indicate on a roundabout, and I am fully aware that hazards aren't 'park where you like' lights. I'd be a poor instructor if I didn't know such basic stuff. The only criticism you could level at me is my habit of disregarding some speed limits, often excessively.
Old 22 December 2007, 08:10 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
As the OP I'll tell you now, I use the handbrake whenever it is suitable to. I also only ever use my fogs in conditions prescribed by the HC and RTA, always indicate at junctions and know how to indicate on a roundabout, and I am fully aware that hazards aren't 'park where you like' lights. I'd be a poor instructor if I didn't know such basic stuff. The only criticism you could level at me is my habit of disregarding some speed limits, often excessively.
Tsk, and I had such high hopes for you

speeding, even worse, heading down a slippery slope now.....

it will be burberry & sovs next

Mart
Old 22 December 2007, 09:03 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Since doing my advanced driving test with the IAM (well worth it if you can get a good instructor) I always stop and put my handbrake on and knock it out of gear. I also always have enough room between me and the car in front so I can see some road at the end of my bonnet. I only indicate when I'm giving information to others. I like to make progress wherever possible. I read the road ahead and drive defensively at all times. I overtake only when it's safe to do so, and anticipate other road users actions depending on thier cars position on the road.
Old 22 December 2007, 09:26 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My Passat has an autohold function that means the brakes stay on once you stop, until you start to raise the clutch pedal. There aren't any hills whatsoever where I live, otherwise this would be an excellent feature!
Old 22 December 2007, 09:55 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

I thoughth the same the other day, when I saw a rozzer at the head of the queue waiting for the lights to change, they didn't apply the handbrake.

Setting a good example
Old 22 December 2007, 09:57 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cw42
Since doing my advanced driving test with the IAM (well worth it if you can get a good instructor) I always stop and put my handbrake on and knock it out of gear. I also always have enough room between me and the car in front so I can see some road at the end of my bonnet. I only indicate when I'm giving information to others. I like to make progress wherever possible. I read the road ahead and drive defensively at all times. I overtake only when it's safe to do so, and anticipate other road users actions depending on thier cars position on the road.
Like you're supposed to, you mean?

Did you overtake when it wasn't safe to do so before the test?

Sound like a direct quote from their literature you've pasted there.
Old 22 December 2007, 10:27 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Kinda echo what fatherpierre said really - if you don't do all that stuff anyhow, your not fit to have a driving licence in the first place.

My ex-cop driving instructor taught me to apply my handbrake whenever I was going to be stationary for more than 15 seconds - as far as I can see its a good habit for me to have got into.

The most personally annoying driving habit I have is that I cross my arms when turning.. which I tell myself off for but I still do it..
Old 22 December 2007, 10:37 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Done an advanced driver training course, which recommends you hold your foot brake until the car coming up behind you comes to a halt, then use your hand brake.

Personally, I do it as above. With Prius's and cars with badly made LED brake lights, its a nightmare sitting behind them.
Old 22 December 2007, 10:49 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

FP It sounded to me like someone just wanted to say they'd been on a course, more than likely instructed by somebody not much more skilled in the art of driving themselves.

As for your average driving instructor, well, I see some sights out on the road that beggar belief and they are supposed to be teaching the future drivers!!

Anyway, I apply the handbrake at all times. I always drop my lights to side lights too when required which I rarely see anymore.
Old 22 December 2007, 11:52 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I now drive an auto so if im going to be stationary for more than a few moments, ill stick it in neutral and pop the handbrake on

Does anyone use their handbrake when NOT stationary
Old 22 December 2007, 12:00 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Done an advanced driver training course, which recommends you hold your foot brake until the car coming up behind you comes to a halt, then use your hand brake.
Yep, I was taught something similar:

If you are going to be sat for a long time, apply the handbrake but if at the back of the queue, apply the footbrake as well until someone pulls up behind you.

If you are going to be sat there just a short time, do as you said and leave plenty of space in front of you, just in case you have to move forward due to the guy behind you approaching a bit too quickly.
Old 22 December 2007, 12:05 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Yes, also pop into neutral and foot off the clutch if I'm going to be sat there for a while (i.e red lights).

Save the clutch release bearing/fork from wear and the clutch (if the master/slave cylinder leaks down a bit). Also removes thrust load from the engine, not that I've ever seen a engine with thrust bearings worn out from sitting in traffic...but its all mechanicle sympathy

Also in theory - my brake light bulbs should last longer

Last edited by Shark Man; 22 December 2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 22 December 2007, 12:48 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

I never indicate, drive at the speed of light at all times, use the horn when it is totally inappropriate to do so, pretend I'm Lewis Hamilton when sat in the front row at the lights, am abusive to other road users and have no regard whatsoever for cyclists....but then, I did get my licence learning to drive in France
Old 22 December 2007, 01:02 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Sadly I don't use it as muchas I should i have always preferred riding the clutch, if I am on a steep hill then I do but on the flat etc I do not.
That aside when I am in my wifes car I don't have to worry as it is automatic and holds itself quite well with just the brake
Old 22 December 2007, 03:40 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Incorrect, what if the car approaching does not come to a halt ? Your car should be secured to minimise the effect of any impact as described in my OP. During an impact you will have no control of where your feet go, and if they come off the footbrake and clutch your car is then under propulsion with no restraint applied. At any definite stop, footbrake to the stop applying clutch to prevent stall, apply the handbrake to secure the car as soon as you have fully stopped, then knock it out of gear and rest your legs if suitable to do so. On a test you would even get a minor fault if you put it in neutral before applying the handbrake as even though it takes the same amount of time, because you made the car safe later in the same manoeuvre, you have exposed yourself to danger for longer.
Old 22 December 2007, 05:36 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
Sadly I don't use it as muchas I should i have always preferred riding the clutch
The average fleet driver doing this in traffic keep garages in business

Recently my mate bought a pug 307 with only 35K miles, the clutch had been ridden so much it melted the crank sensor Not covered under warrantee either: due to abuse.

Last edited by Shark Man; 22 December 2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 22 December 2007, 05:45 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

I use the handbrake when I cnat be bothered to use the footbrake
Old 22 December 2007, 06:04 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

This is one of my pet hates of night time driving. Sitting behind inconsiderate ***** that have their brake lights blazing away in your face whilst in a queue of traffic. Quite often have to flip down the visor, for all the good it does.

Its much worse now that the majority of cars have mid mounted brake lights aswell.
Old 22 December 2007, 06:12 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Incorrect, what if the car approaching does not come to a halt ? Your car should be secured to minimise the effect of any impact as described in my OP. During an impact you will have no control of where your feet go, and if they come off the footbrake and clutch your car is then under propulsion with no restraint applied. At any definite stop, footbrake to the stop applying clutch to prevent stall, apply the handbrake to secure the car as soon as you have fully stopped, then knock it out of gear and rest your legs if suitable to do so. On a test you would even get a minor fault if you put it in neutral before applying the handbrake as even though it takes the same amount of time, because you made the car safe later in the same manoeuvre, you have exposed yourself to danger for longer.
Conversely, if you applied the handbrake at every possible opportunity during your C and C+E test, youd be failed.....
Old 22 December 2007, 06:29 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Corradoboy...you have/are/possibly becoming become the ****, "practice what you preach" merchant. I've seen it your posts, and in reality, in other trades, mainly H&S guys on site.
I was told this week about a H&S bloke that decided the company pool car ( an astra ) exceeded the goverment standard for noise levels at motorways speeds. Everyone he told about it was this -->.<-- interested. They didn't GAFF.

Unpeturbed, H&S man continued to drive the car, but with ear defenders on. Please don't step into his shoes, you do some OK posts
Old 22 December 2007, 06:35 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

If I am stuck in traffic, I tend to leave a big-ish gap between me and the car in front anyway - if its a hill then yes, handbrake on, if flat sometimes I don't but I don't ride the clutch or stick the brakes on either.

Seeing as I don't have a handbrake on my person, I generally don't apply it when standing in the road!
Old 22 December 2007, 06:51 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Chip, I certainly don't practice a lot of what I preach, only the bits which are basic common sense in town traffic. Get me on an open road and rules go out of the window. Just on my way to w*rk tonight I enjoyed a lovely 70mph(+ ) drift on a greasy road for about 80 yards 'round a bend. I certainly don't teach my learners that
Old 22 December 2007, 07:55 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Default Skid brake !

As Dave will confirm I'm very old and infirm....

I use the sun-visor to reduce glare from "peddle pushers" at the lights, as my eyes have seen a lot in the last "Cough" years....

I regularly use the handbrake whilst moving.... and to secure the vehicle at junctions, etc.

To get my add-ons to my licence I was taught a very "safety" biased technique to minimise injury to my valuable "special needs" passengers, still seems weird in parts tho'

DunxC

P.S. I struggle to maintain a decent drift in a minibus due to lack of power and no LSD, bet the kids would love it !

P.P.S. Remember Corradoboy is at work now and doesn't deserve criticising for the need to maintain his sanity on a Saturday night !

Last edited by dunx; 22 December 2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 22 December 2007, 08:06 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cw42
Since doing my advanced driving test with the IAM (well worth it if you can get a good instructor) I always stop and put my handbrake on and knock it out of gear. I also always have enough room between me and the car in front so I can see some road at the end of my bonnet. I only indicate when I'm giving information to others. I like to make progress wherever possible. I read the road ahead and drive defensively at all times. I overtake only when it's safe to do so, and anticipate other road users actions depending on their cars position on the road.
Me too. I think we had the same observers. I did have one that couldn't drive though!

I started to train to be an observer but I don't have the time with work and family to do it justice. Nor do I know the roads around Stockport well enough.

Steve
Old 22 December 2007, 09:49 PM
LEUVEN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
This is one of my pet hates of night time driving. Sitting behind inconsiderate ***** that have their brake lights blazing away in your face whilst in a queue of traffic. Quite often have to flip down the visor, for all the good it does.

Its much worse now that the majority of cars have mid mounted brake lights aswell.
You could leave a bigger distance between you and the car infront and also put your main beam on to hopefully shine in their mirrors to get your own back, allthough they will most likely be thinking "why has he got his main beam on", but atleast it would make you feel better if you could make the inconsiderate tossers annoyed by your lights.
Old 23 December 2007, 12:16 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

The vast majority, if not all of those guilty of this hurendously bad habit, will probably never venture on to a forum such as this one, (perhaps MLR ) so I doubt many SN members will be admitting to it.
All Subaru Impreza drivers have very good road manners anyway.
Old 23 December 2007, 12:22 AM
BigSugarDaddy
BANNED

I use the handbrake if I am stood for longer than about 30 seconds

Quick Reply: Do you use your handbrake when stood in traffic ?