Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Continuing I-pod theme - in car FM transmitter and charger

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2007, 08:09 AM
wilffive
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Continuing I-pod theme - in car FM transmitter and charger

Jumping on the i-pod theme - I am thinking about buying one of those fm transmitter and charger kits as a present to be played by tuning in through the car radio. Are they any good and which kit would you lot recommend?

Its not for me - my Beemer has a full i pod kit fitted which sounds great.
Old 17 December 2007, 09:01 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Amazon.co.uk: Griffin iTrip - FM Transmitter for iPod Video - Black: Electronics & Photo

Although others disagree, I've always had crystal clear reception with this, problems can occur if you live in big cities.........but I've been the length and breadth of Scotland and good clear sound throughout
Old 17 December 2007, 09:38 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I would touch them with a barge pole.

Find out what car hifi the motor has that you are buying it for and get an adapter kit - Much, much better solution.
Old 17 December 2007, 09:44 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

I would touch them with a barge pole.
Interesting

Find out what car hifi the motor has that you are buying it for and get an adapter kit - Much, much better solution.
Totally disagree....

Subaru were quoting me a small fortune to do the Legacy (no surprise there I suppose) so the i-trip saved me circa £250.

Now I have a perfect solution for a fraction of the price.......

Surely it's worth a stab at a cheap fix intitially rather than wasting a bundle potentially unnecessarily ??

Seems to work really well for lots of people, it's just dependant on where you live and travel...
Old 17 December 2007, 09:50 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Got one for free through subscribing to MacUser then cancelling the subscription brilliant piece of kit although when travelling down the A1 I get interference so use my Cassette tape adaptor.
Old 17 December 2007, 10:05 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie

Subaru were quoting me a small fortune to do the Legacy (no surprise there I suppose) so the i-trip saved me circa £250.

Now I have a perfect solution for a fraction of the price.......

Surely it's worth a stab at a cheap fix intitially rather than wasting a bundle potentially unnecessarily ??

Seems to work really well for lots of people, it's just dependant on where you live and travel...

Don't go to Subaru for it - Go Somewhere like connects2you. Mine cost me £49.99 and I fit it myself, absolute piece of ****.

Advantages? Charges when its plugged in and I can select tracks from the head unit.
Old 17 December 2007, 10:19 AM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

The i-trip ws okay at first however I've had problems with the transmission quality on wet days and have started to get interference from new radio stations popping up. It's a shame that the frequency on the i-trip doesn't go down as low as the FM freq on the car stereo. It also doesn't like the M1 going past Luton, Leicester and Birmingham either!
Old 17 December 2007, 10:29 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

and I can select tracks from the head unit.
Agree, that's the one bit I miss with the I-trip, but at least it does charge the i-pod
Old 17 December 2007, 10:29 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoob_babe
The i-trip ws okay at first however I've had problems with the transmission quality on wet days and have started to get interference from new radio stations popping up. It's a shame that the frequency on the i-trip doesn't go down as low as the FM freq on the car stereo. It also doesn't like the M1 going past Luton, Leicester and Birmingham either!
Got this problem with my FM transmitter - keep having to switch frequencies as it get into range of interfering radio stations (usually pirate ones round Notts and North B'ham ).

Soon switched back to the tape adapter.

I'm saying this whilst I have £2000 worth of car audio stuck in my garage - But not having a car suitable to put it in (darn non-DIN facias, CAN buses and ****-eyed speaker cutouts ). If that were installed, it would directly interface with the mp3 player.
Old 17 December 2007, 10:35 AM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

I had considered getting a proper connection kit but neither of us spends that long in the car these days unless going to either set of outlaws.