Wedding Gifts

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2007, 05:52 PM
Kirsty Towler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wedding Gifts

Hi all,

My other half proposed to me on Tuesday night and I'm after a little advice if possible........

We have lived 'in sin' lol for about 5 years now and we are in the same situation as someone else was a while ago on Scoobynet.

We have everything we could possibly need for our home, even having a spare kettle and toaster in case of emergency lol.

We don't want to create a wedding list for people just to buy us things we already have, we would rather have money so we can spend it on a short break away somewhere.

There were some great posts and advice on here ranging from tongue in cheek poems asking for money rather than gifts to the more serious ones.

Does anyone have or know the link so we can have a look through it please?

Thanks guys,

Kirsty xx
Old 15 December 2007, 06:07 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Post up a picture of yourself & then it gives us an idea as to what suggestions we could give.
Old 15 December 2007, 06:15 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kirsty Towler
Hi all,

My other half proposed to me on Tuesday night and I'm after a little advice if possible........

.......... errrrrrrrrrrrrm say no to him.

............. or have you already said yes, not too sure that you made that bit clear . If so commiserations/congratulations (delete accordingly).

Gifts; there's plenty to choose from! Have you asked him, perhaps you should get back to the kitchen and leave the important decisions to your future husband - you'll need to get used to it

NB. Sorry for having nothing constructive to say!
Old 15 December 2007, 06:35 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Well congatulations!

Now don't take this the wrong way but I think is bad form to ask for money. Yes it may make sense but a wedding gift should be something that you will keep and remember where it came from. You can't really be saying that you are the couple that have everything surely?

As for money for a break you might get away with asking for a contribution for a specific event like a special meal when you are away or something like that but not just for the general kitty.

Yes you may get another toaster but e-bay is your friend and no one will be any the wiser dl
Old 16 December 2007, 10:50 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

My friends were in a similar situation - been living together for years since university and were getting married - didnt need a thing..

so they put a little note thing in with the invites, explaining this and asked if anyone wanted to help them to celebrate their marriage they could do so by funding parts of their honeymoon!!

They got a 3 week honeymoon (flights accomodation and some trips) across the united states paid for - they took in new york, las vegas, grand canyon, and Hawaii...

alternatively you could ask for donations to be made to your favourite charity(s).

congrats btw
Old 17 December 2007, 09:15 AM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Someone I know asked for Travel Vouchers instead of presents.

Thomson Holidays - Holiday Vouchers
Old 17 December 2007, 09:43 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Congratulations!

I would also suggest holiday vouchers as above. When we got married this year, we were in the same position, so we asked for Homebase and John Lewis vouchers. We did quite well and as we are having our bathroom and en-suite done at the moment, they have come in very handy!

Asking for money isn't very nice. I would begrudge actually giving money if it was my friend getting married. A voucher is the same I guess, but at least you've had to put some effort into it!
Old 17 December 2007, 09:45 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

BTW, isn't it strange to be thinking about wedding gifts ALREADY? It's not been a week since he proposed!
Old 17 December 2007, 11:09 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

It's just a typically womanly thing to do Clare - in fact, she's probably weighing up what she'd get out of the divorce settlement already !
Old 17 December 2007, 11:24 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

I reckon that was done before she started dating the poor chap.