Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Are 30mph zones soon to become 20 mph?

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2007, 11:22 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are 30mph zones soon to become 20 mph?

The reason I ask is because (unfortunately) I have to drive through a town which has a test centre and as a result has many learners, who never go above 20 When I was learning my driving instructor always told me to make progress and get myself up to the limit (if safe to do so). Nowadays it seems the norm for learners to toddle along at 20 in built up areas

Tonight I was behind a learner car and thought 'great it's the instructor at the wheel as he was alone' but he also toddled along at 20 mph Do they know something we don't, are they teaching them to drive at new limits yet to be imposed?
Old 14 December 2007, 11:29 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I had a client fail last month for not making adequate progress and undue hesitancy

No-one's told me of any new limits, but those PC pillocks at Brake have been campaigning for all urban roads to become 20mph When will they learn that bad driving is the problem, whatever the speed ? Speed just makes the mess that bad driving causes worse
Old 15 December 2007, 12:00 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't agree with all urban roads being 20, although in some places it is harder to go above that anyway. Around schools, fair enough, but I honestly think that at the same time, re-evaluate limits elsewhere. There are roads near me that are 30 with nothing around, no houses, schools etc.

If the government, police or whatever powers that be don't want us to think that all they want to do is persecute motorists, then use a bit common sense. Lower limits where necessary, but raise them on roads which have too low a limit for the surroundings. That way,you'll probably cut speeding offences, as they will be more realistic.

Unless you have more police on the roads, or some other form of monitoring motorists, you'll never really get rid of useless or careless drivers. The cash cow cameras are the wrong approach imo, as they don't solve the crucial problem of bad driving.

Sorry for jumping in with a bit of a rant.
Old 15 December 2007, 12:36 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Rant all you like Lisa, you're right

I regularly pass several schools and at kicking out time I daren't go over about 20 as the prats are usually all over the road, falling over each other, fighting and looking at cars like they're not supposed to be in their way. I had two fall into the road in front of me a few weeks back and missed them by inches even though i was probably doing under 15mph. The problem isn't with motorists as they no longer teach the Green Cross Code in schools. It is a fact that 80% of pedestrians involved in collisions with motor vehicle have been proven to have stepped into the path of the vehicle, and of those, 86% are within 100m of a pedestrian crossing but not actually using it. Cameras do nothing to improve this situation or a great deal of other problems on todays roads, but they do bring in easy money for the politicians relatives whom chair the pratnerships
Old 15 December 2007, 11:34 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is true that the PC Plonkers are doing their best to get all urban speed limits down to 20. They have already managed to do it around here in places where it is just not necessary which is really stupid. I agree with 20 limits in the right places but in others it encourages drivers to break the law.

Les
Old 15 December 2007, 01:24 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Make crossing the road illegal unless its at a crossing like in america, there are to many people who just walk into the road and expect you to stop!!

I just slam my brakes on and watch em run!!!!!!
Old 15 December 2007, 01:29 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Least its only 10mph below.

On the A1001 near me, it goes from 40 to 60. Yet despite 4 signs each way, there are people who will only do 30 or 40mph down it.

And when I say there are signs, 2 of them each way are 2 feet in diameter!! Yet they "don't see them".
Old 15 December 2007, 04:30 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They have brung the limits down to 20 outside schools, now how about they teach the Kids respect for the roads, I was in my mates car the other day when some kid walked out in front of him he had to slam the brakes on. He beeped his horn and the kid hust spat his chewing gum at the car and shouted **** off.

One of these days one of these morons will get run over and they will be campaigning for a 10 mph limit outside schools