Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

new york for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2007, 07:47 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new york for the first time

Have recently met a new girl and we want to go to new york in january. I havent got a clue where to stay and where to go apart from the empire state building , the statue , twin towers site and that.

My question is where is a good place to stay and is quite close to every where.

Is January ok to go in.
Old 14 December 2007, 07:51 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Bloody Freezing. I went in Jan 4 years ago and it was -11 degrees C
Old 14 December 2007, 08:13 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

As said, can be very cold, but its not the end of the world if you are ready for it. Cabs / coffee shops will keep you warm

However, the problem comes when it snows. Transport stops, including the airports as they get proper lake effect snow which will lay 3 - 4 feet in a day.

That aside, I would try and stay close to Times Sq. In striking distance of all the big shops, the park, ESB, shows etc etc.

Its not close for the Statue / Ellis / WTC but you can do all those in 1 day and cab should be less than $20 from around 46th.

Plan for 3 - 4 days sight seeing and the same again for shopping for a nice balanced trip.
Old 14 December 2007, 08:26 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Someone else on here very recently had a NY thread.

Check it out as had some very good suggestions, plus means I don't have to try to remember what I typed at the time!

Asif

PS I reckon it will be cold though!
Old 14 December 2007, 08:30 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Too cold in January -- bloody freezing! I stayed at the UN Millenium hotel and it was great - class rooms, great view and across the street from the UN and a kick in the **** from the Chrysler Building. I walked around mostly rather than get a tour -- found Radio City Hall, the Museum of Modern Arts, Times Square, all the usual haunts incl. 5th Avenue and Broadway of course. Cost a bit in shoe leather but I liked it better than the "on your left...." type tour.
Old 14 December 2007, 08:34 PM
MTayler
Scooby Regular

Me and the missus have just come back from there (landed here Thurs morn) and it's the second time we have been.
Personally visiting ground zero was a bit of a morbid idea for me so we never went there and when you see the statue of liberty again personally the thoughts in my mind were that it looks bigger on telly .
Never used public transport ( apart from a cab to and from the airport, expect to pay $60-65 inc tolls each way ) as we found it more interesting to see New York that way.
Shopping is obviously the big thing out there and if you visit Macy's or Bloomingdales make sure you go to the visitor centre to get your 11% discount card .
Empire State Building is a must just for the view, it's impressive !.
Just be warned the first time we did it we queued for 1 1/2 hours to get to the top and we had shopping bags ( just a few ) so my advice is go unladen and do your shopping after !.
With regards to Hotels, first time around we stayed at the Sofitel (we only went for 3 nights and got a cracking deal) and I would def. recommend it, 5-7 minutes from Times Square.
This time around we left it later to book and places were getting booked and more expensive so we stayed at the Milford Plaza, 2-4 minutes form Times Square.
It's an okay Hotel (clean & tidy and somewhere to put your head) but can't really rave about it or recommend it but again the location was good.
Whatever you do you'll have a cracking time and think 4 nights there is enough, if you get an early flight from the UK like we did ( 8.50am flight out ) then you will land at 1pm there and that way gain some of your day back.

Have a good one.

Mark.
Old 14 December 2007, 08:38 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

NYIAL
Old 14 December 2007, 08:47 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...-new-york.html
Old 14 December 2007, 08:52 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

I didn't stay in NYC although stayed a 45 minute bus journey away in Saddlebrook New Jersey (The houses and streets there looked just like the ones in the Halloween films ) So I only spent one day in New York City, Got off the bus at the port authority bus terminal and headed up to Central park (it was a Saturday and heaving, but it was the only day I wasn't working) It was cool, the height of the buildings the amount of police, jeez there were millions of them! and just being there was excellent!

I didn't go up any building as looking at the hight of them from the ground was enough for me, didn't go to ground zero as it wasn't there for another 6 months Wish I'd went down there now just to see them.

Oh btw public toilets are few and far between, the only ones I found were in the port authority or a dodgy looking wee garden hut as you enter central park, so if your bursting you may need to do a Mcsyphon (that's when you use Mcdonalds for a **** but don't buy anything )
Old 15 December 2007, 07:30 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Went over there last week, stayed at the Bryant Park Hotel The Bryant Park Hotel :::: New York :::::: which was excellent, close to everything and facing Bryant Park which has ice skating. Taxis from airport are $45.00 plus toll flat fee, but of course then you have tips. Like someone else said, Macy's & Bloomingdales with the 11% discount card. Also take the helicopter trip, quite cheap and $300 for two people and well worth it.

Use the subway to get to other areas, Soho, financial district. Its only £2.00 a trip.

New York is very easy to navigate around, so just get yourself a guidebook and walk everywhere.
Old 15 December 2007, 07:35 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

I used my legs
Old 15 December 2007, 09:13 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

BTW the AA do a good guide book.
Old 16 December 2007, 02:32 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

My favourite part of NY wasn't the tourist things, cos you've seen them on TV so much they're not 'wow' anymore, but was chilling down the lower east side, just strolling around having a few beers. That's what I remember most.