Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Who decides the road speed limits?

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2007, 12:19 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Who decides the road speed limits?

An event of a few weeks ago means that I've been keeping an eye on roadside signs. It seems to me that most are too low for the actual road & (being cynical) perhaps this has been done on purpose to catch as many peeps as possible speeding? 10mph higher generally would probably mean that very few peeps would get caught at all ...

Who sets the limits & how might they be challenged?

Typical example is a road on my way to work - 2 lanes, no houses on road & only entry/exit to road is via a r/bout or t/lights. Speed limit is 30mph FFS

TX.
Old 11 December 2007, 02:01 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

used to be the 80% rule but now local authority jobsworths do it "in partnership" with "other members of the road safety community" or whatever PC twaddle they spout these days
Old 11 December 2007, 08:45 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

It depends on the road is the short answer, it will either be the Highways agency or the local council. I challenged the change in speed limit from NSL to 40mph on the A610 (dual carriageway) from junc 26 out towards Eastwood. I was informed in no uncertain terms that it had been done to improve road safety as there had been a death on the road in the last 3 years. The only death I could find a record of was a jumper off one of the bridges
Old 11 December 2007, 09:18 AM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by OllyK
It depends on the road is the short answer, it will either be the Highways agency or the local council. I challenged the change in speed limit from NSL to 40mph on the A610 (dual carriageway) from junc 26 out towards Eastwood. I was informed in no uncertain terms that it had been done to improve road safety as there had been a death on the road in the last 3 years. The only death I could find a record of was a jumper off one of the bridges
So it's not just my area having speed limits slashed?!?

Virtually all the roads round here have dropped from NSL to 40/50 limits. Also the local scamera partnerships have just bought a sh!tload of new handheld scameras and are erecting fixed ones too.

I think NSL roads will soon be a thing of the past!
Old 11 December 2007, 09:24 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tam the bam
So it's not just my area having speed limits slashed?!?
Nope, been going on round here for a while

I think NSL roads will soon be a thing of the past!
As will displaying a number plate on your car
Old 11 December 2007, 11:25 AM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

some old man who lives in a perfect world and dosnt drive either, probably the same incompetent **** who invented speed bumps!
Old 11 December 2007, 11:28 AM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

All the locals in a village near me spent years campaigning for a 20 limit through the village, then realised they mainly caught out themselves, and are now trying to abolish it!!!!! tools!!!!
Old 11 December 2007, 11:36 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We have a few villages around here where they have now put 20 mph limits. I can understand that in very congested areas but these are really unecessary in those places and just encourage motorists to break the law.

Les
Old 12 December 2007, 12:02 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Strange! As I've been looking out for them it's crystal clear that most are 10mph too low ie it feels natural to travel 10mph faster than stated on the road signs. Who should we challenge it with? Local Authority?

TX.
Old 12 December 2007, 12:24 AM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Strange! As I've been looking out for them it's crystal clear that most are 10mph too low ie it feels natural to travel 10mph faster than stated on the road signs. Who should we challenge it with? Local Authority?

TX.
Ah sod it, **** speed limits, just make sure you have an RPG to take out the scamera van/fixed scamera! problem solved

Do you think this'll catch on?

(The above is a joke btw for those who get their knickers in a twist)
Old 12 December 2007, 07:08 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

There is a conspiracy to lower all 'fun' type roads
Old 12 December 2007, 08:34 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X

TX.
If it's not a motorway then contact the highways department of the local authority in question. Expect them to tell you that the speed limit has been dropped due to a number of incidents over the preceeding 3 years. Expect them to ignore any requests for information regarding those incidents unless you go through FOIA. Do your own research and find they'll include sparrows getting run over in the statistics if it means they can get the road speed down to a point where they can now get a tally van placed on it that will pick off 90% of the people on that road. Expect to be made to feel like some kind of social piriah for even questioning the lowering in speed limit.