Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Claiming on insurance for a blown engine??

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2007, 01:19 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Claiming on insurance for a blown engine??

Is this right?? I was reading another thread the other day, when spome guy said that you can go through your insurance to get your engine sorted if it goes pop!! I've never heard of this before, and to be honest I'd be more than happy to go this route, than fork out 3 grand of my own money!! I don't believe it's true, but would like to know for the future!!
Old 21 November 2007, 01:21 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

No mate not true, unless the engine has been damaged due to an accident.

i.e hitting an unlit island, losing your sump and ceasing your engine.
Old 21 November 2007, 01:27 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

That's what I thought, just checkin!!
Old 21 November 2007, 01:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you drove through a flood and it killed your engine? I think you could be covered then.
Old 21 November 2007, 01:46 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Maybe you drove through a flood and it killed your engine? I think you could be covered then.
Correct, Mrs Dunks car was written off last Easter with hydraulic lock.

D
Old 21 November 2007, 02:01 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

It's funny, when I blew up my 406 I would say that upwards of 75% of people I told thought you could claim through your insurance for it!!!
Old 21 November 2007, 02:22 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

If your engine goes pop all you do is torch your car and claim off the insurance - that will pay out for a new car and hence a new engine. So in a way your insurance does cover it - if you have the ***** !
Old 21 November 2007, 04:48 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Interesting that the hotspots are Blackburn, Bradford, Oldham & Birmingham....... Anyone else thinking what i'm thinking??? I'm only down the road from Oldham and we certainly get a certain community trying to cause accidents to get a claim.
Old 21 November 2007, 06:14 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

It's in their nature, you know that and I know that, minimal work for maximum reward 'innit'.
Old 21 November 2007, 06:50 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mamoon2
Interesting that the hotspots are Blackburn, Bradford, Oldham & Birmingham....... Anyone else thinking what i'm thinking??? I'm only down the road from Oldham and we certainly get a certain community trying to cause accidents to get a claim.
You cant say that as it could be deemed racist !

As I have said before and been pulled up for it by Les, apparently you cant judge a persons criminal tendencies by their race, I disagree, every race has its criminals, it just seems that Asian criminals (not all Asian people) favour this method of defrauding insurance companies, my mates dad was a copper 15 years ago and he was specifically assigned to this work and it was predominantly Asian people involved.

I have Asian friends and they don't do it but have mentioned in passing how common it is and how they get the third degree and high premiums when getting insurance or there are mysteriously no rental cars when they want one.

There is the real world where people do bad stuff and then theres the world that the Labour Council's want to promote, all pc, inclusive and multi cultural, you have the standard English bloke getting frustrated, not with the minorities per-se but at the complete denial and pig headed pc-ness from the authorities, the minorities generally are bemused and pay it lip service unless they can score a few quid, like anyone would.

If we don't acknowledge these problems as being specific to a section of society, how can crime like this be targeted ?
Old 21 November 2007, 07:16 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

J4CKO - agree with you there - its like saying that most of the crime in certain areas of south london isnt down to gangs of young black wannabe gangsters - yes it is ! and everyone knows it, which is why the police stop and search them - not being racist, they just know who to target ( probably because they've arrested them 10 times before for exactly the same thing ! ).
Old 21 November 2007, 07:44 PM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

Hit a large puddle in my mondy Diesel. Blew the turbo to bits and cracked the Cylinder head in 4 places. Bent the con rods as well. (I was doing 70ish).
Insurance dropped in a new engine, and claimed of the highways Authority for the blocked drain!!!.
Old 21 November 2007, 08:54 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

We had a customer successfully claim on his insurance for a new engine when he put petrol into his diesel X Type Jaguar, apparantly because there was no intention to cause damage it was deemed to be accidental damage and therefore he could claim. I don't think you would get far with a claim if your engine just happened to pack up, unless poor quality fuel or mistake by garage who serviced it was the cause ?