Driving standards, 'Dear me'!

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2007, 02:50 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Driving standards, 'Dear me'!

OK, this is going to be contentious but WTF
I'm prepared to say that; given the fact that during the course of my current employment I'm witness to many different drivers, some mature some not so, but most, and I mean the vast majority, have atrociously poor driving abilities.
Not a single driver that I've travelled alongside, in recent years, gives me any confidence of their abilities, not to mention the accidents and 'off's' I've been 'subjected to' as a passenger.
I understand that most people think they are 'the best driver ever' but in 30 years of driving I've not had a 'my fault accident' or non reported 'off'. I also don't spare the horses either.
Why are most people atrocious drivers? Surely it's not that difficult.
Are driving standards Cr@p, generally? I say, Yes they are!

What I'm saying is that, on average in my experience, the people reading this post must be sub-standard drivers. Defend yourselves!!

Last edited by coolangatta; 24 October 2007 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Sub-standard drivers defend yourselves.
Old 24 October 2007, 02:53 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be careful.. the gods are watching.. you might have just .. your self
Old 24 October 2007, 02:56 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find those who have experienced accidents themselves in the past improves thier overall driving standards than those who havent had one
Old 24 October 2007, 03:05 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
I find those who have experienced accidents themselves in the past improves thier overall driving standards than those who havent had one
Those who haven't had an accident, after a serious margin of time, have either been extremely lucky (unlikely as odds are very much against) or have been the benefactor of their own skills.

Last edited by coolangatta; 24 October 2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 24 October 2007, 03:07 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by coolangatta
Those who haven't had an accident, after a serious margin of time, have either been extremely lucky (unlikely as odds are very much against) or have been the benefactor of their own skills.
Its the old saying when they claim women have less accidents than men. The real truth is the women are the causers of the accident, just because they dont actually scratch their car doesnt mean theyre great drivers
Old 24 October 2007, 03:16 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Its the old saying when they claim women have less accidents than men. The real truth is the women are the causers of the accident, just because they dont actually scratch their car doesnt mean theyre great drivers
I think your backing my argument, albeit in a sexist way, so
Old 24 October 2007, 03:34 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Yup driving standards have gone down propotionally to the reduction in sensible road traffic policing methods and numbers.
Old 24 October 2007, 03:35 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a site for you

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...lease-com.html
Old 24 October 2007, 03:36 PM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Old 24 October 2007, 04:32 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I'd say the UK has the worst driving standard of europe, bar spain, and third world standard of motorway driving!

We need to get money put into driving standards instead of just trying to limit everyone to 10mph at all times.
Old 24 October 2007, 04:39 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by RB5_245
I'd say the UK has the worst driving standard of europe, bar spain, and third world standard of motorway driving!

We need to get money put into driving standards instead of just trying to limit everyone to 10mph at all times.
Never been to Italy then? Or Greece? Or many other places in Europe and youve come to that conclusion...

Considering how congested our roads are on a daily basis I find the driving standard actually pretty acceptable.
Old 24 October 2007, 04:54 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Never been to Italy then? Or Greece? Or many other places in Europe and youve come to that conclusion...

Considering how congested our roads are on a daily basis I find the driving standard actually pretty acceptable.
Agree, the Greeks are nuts. Just come back from 2 weeks on one of the Islands and everything is optional, speed limits, road signs, seatbelts, crash helmets. Nobody uses pedestrian crossings as the drivers ignore them.
Old 24 October 2007, 05:22 PM
matttp1
Scooby Regular

I do thirty k work miles a year think you ve just got to anticipate what other people are going to do. I wonder just how many licences Kellogs have issued. And i have to go sleep if im a passenger
Old 24 October 2007, 05:41 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RB5_245
According to the latest available statistics on road deaths, it has one of the best. So I don't know what the hell you base your statement on.
Old 24 October 2007, 05:56 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

How did you come to that conclusion? Given the nature of my job I happen have driven in most of the european countries.

Though I had forgotten greece, I've only driven briefly in Athens. I was going to question their being part of europe until I remembered spending euros.

I'm 50-50 on Italy, it's less stressful than UK to drive that's for sure.

Maybe I should re-phrase that to the worst of the 'civilised' european countries.

Dave
Old 24 October 2007, 06:21 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

OK. Italy then, wheres the arguement for that? Ive been to quite a few major cities there and dont ever recall seeing one undamaged car at all. I would never even consider driving out there without danger pay
Old 24 October 2007, 06:51 PM
scoobmeister
Scooby Regular

I've been driving for nearly 20 years and even though the test is reputed to be more difficult, I think the standard of driving has got worse, From simple things like people who can't be bothered to indicate and leave you guessing as to where they're going, to more dangerous things like jumping red lights, and people today seem more ignorant! Nobody seems to give way or loose you out any more?