Jails for Foreign inmates

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2007, 02:23 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Jails for Foreign inmates

Reading an article on the bbc BBC NEWS | UK | Jails adapted for foreign inmates

11,000 out of 81,000 prisoners are foreign nationals.

So basically, people commiting serious crimes are allowed to walk free as our prisons are too full.
Estimates place the cost to fund a prisoner per annum between £30-40k

Surely as soon as they commit a crime which would result in prison - Human rights should be revoked and they should be deported to their country of origin?
Old 24 October 2007, 02:35 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

On radio 4 this morning the ridiculousness of the situation was laid bare. Straight after these people come out of prison they are deported (unless of ocurse the country of origin is considered life threatening). Why on earth are we spending money to incarcerate these people? It's utterly moronic.

If the accepted procedure is to deport these people once they have been convicted of a crime, then why on earth are we jailing them here?
Old 24 October 2007, 02:38 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by michaelro
Reading an article on the bbc BBC NEWS | UK | Jails adapted for foreign inmates

11,000 out of 81,000 prisoners are foreign nationals.

So basically, people commiting serious crimes are allowed to walk free as our prisons are too full.
Estimates place the cost to fund a prisoner per annum between £30-40k

Surely as soon as they commit a crime which would result in prison - Human rights should be revoked and they should be deported to their country of origin?
That's probably less controversial than my suggestion, which involved the Atlantic, an old boat loaded with them, and a torpedo!
Old 24 October 2007, 02:41 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
If the accepted procedure is to deport these people once they have been convicted of a crime, then why on earth are we jailing them here?
Because in some / many cases if they were deported they would not be jailed on return to their home country and we be free to return to the UK illegally again. OK, some may be executed on return by hey, shouldn't have broken the laws in the UK.
Old 24 October 2007, 02:52 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
OK, some may be executed on return by hey, shouldn't have broken the laws in the UK.

Well this is exactly why I made the proviso that the country of origin should be safe.

Because in some / many cases if they were deported they would not be jailed on return to their home country and we be free to return to the UK illegally again.
I'm not sure that this is a valid reason not to deport. They could return to the UK illegally if they had served thier sentence and then been deported, or if they had been deported straight after conviction.

Assuming that punishment is part of the purpose of Prison, then surely the fact that they are in the UK in the first place means that deporting them from the country is a form of punishment. Regardless of whether the country of origin decides to imprison them or not.
Old 24 October 2007, 02:53 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I believe the policy to incarcerate people on these shores is to ensure justice is seen to be done. If they have broken laws here, then they should serve a similar sentence compared to someone else living here who did the same crime.

It all depends where they come from in the world. There are lots of places that simply let them out, due to different laws or bribes. I agree its madness. We should be able to send them back to the country they came from for them to serve time there. That should be possible for EU counties as well as the states.
Old 24 October 2007, 03:07 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant

OK, some may be executed on return by hey, shouldn't have broken the laws in the UK.
Well this is exactly why I made the proviso that the country of origin should be safe.
I'm not bothered if it is, fine it needs to be a consideration for deportation at original arrival, but once you break the law, all bets are off as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not sure that this is a valid reason not to deport. They could return to the UK illegally if they had served thier sentence and then been deported, or if they had been deported straight after conviction.

Assuming that punishment is part of the purpose of Prison, then surely the fact that they are in the UK in the first place means that deporting them from the country is a form of punishment. Regardless of whether the country of origin decides to imprison them or not.
I think Luminous has pretty much covered this in that it is in part being seen to ensure justice for the victim rather them getting to be living free in another country.
Old 24 October 2007, 03:43 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
That's probably less controversial than my suggestion, which involved the Atlantic, an old boat loaded with them, and a torpedo!

Perfect
Old 24 October 2007, 07:16 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Because in some / many cases if they were deported they would not be jailed on return to their home country and we be free to return to the UK illegally again. OK, some may be executed on return by hey, shouldn't have broken the laws in the UK.

I do feel that we should jail them here unless guaranteed that they wil serve the same in thier country of origin.

Well, if they knew from the outset that they will get deported if the break our laws and still do so then they know what is waiting for them.

People chose to in 99.99% of cases to break the law and should face the consequences even if they are harsh or indeed mean death. they know the score, it is their choice.

Sadly these days everyone knows their rights but few seem to know about thier responsibilities as well.

What did rile me was that an immigration officer called into R5 and said that it is very difficult to prove where some people come from as they do not have papers/passports. Also that a lot claim asylum as soon as they come out of jail and put more pressure on our already overloaded system - simple commit crime in the UK and get deported - end of story - simple solution

Simple
1) No passport or papers then no entry in the first place - How the hell can we let in people who we do not know what they are/who they are!

2) upon entry then straight onto the DNA database

3) Break the law and get deported after finishing sentence here, if they re-enter then auto 25 years in jail hard labour.

4) Jail time (for all) to mean labour of some sort - perhaps building new prisons or working on the road infrastructure to pay for thier board and learn some skills.

Last edited by The Zohan; 24 October 2007 at 07:25 PM. Reason: editied as not quite right wing enough for me!
Old 24 October 2007, 09:12 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Time to outsource the prisons. Lease some land somewhere really cheap/horrible like Ethiopia or the Skeleton Coast, set up a nice cheap prison without air conditioning, with some ex-militia prison guards.

Would save a stack of money.

And to ensure fairness, ship out the rest of our crims there too.
Old 24 October 2007, 09:19 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Swiss apparently aren't happy that furriners make up a high percentage of their prison population, so they chose a party that pledges to do something about it -

Old 25 October 2007, 12:48 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Simple
1) No passport or papers then no entry in the first place - How the hell can we let in people who we do not know what they are/who they are!

2) upon entry then straight onto the DNA database

3) Break the law and get deported after finishing sentence here, if they re-enter then auto 25 years in jail hard labour.

4) Jail time (for all) to mean labour of some sort - perhaps building new prisons or working on the road infrastructure to pay for thier board and learn some skills.
1) - Agreed - But take Photo / Fingerprint of everyone entering / trying to enter the country.
2) - Agreed - But the cost of swab / analysis FIRST time to be met or contributed to by the person arriving. Subsequent swabs to be free ?
3) - Agree with Deportation - Disagree with 25 years Jail if try to re-enter, You any idea how much that would cost ? I'm not paying my hard earned £ to feed, house and clothe some foreign johnny - Oh and provide **** mags / PS3's TV's etc - FFS!!! Jail should be a 7 ft by 4 ft cell with a bed and a loo and a sink - END OF. We could house a **** load more scumbags if we reviewed cell size down somewhat.
4) Agreed - In the USA - Certain categories of Prisoners are allowed out of their Cells to clean streets / pick up dog **** / remove grafitti etc. They wear Big Yellow trackkies. [Not in the UK though - cos that would "Hurt their feelings" !!!!! ]

My additional points...

5) For every case of a criminal coming into this country committing crimes against others living here - Apply a levy against the country of Origin - Might make the Host Govt think twice about releasing them from jail and giving them tickets to travel here - IT HAPPENS. [Levy should cover all legal costs, all compensation costs, all incarceration costs, all repatriation costs AND Punitive damages equal to all the above to send a strong message - If the GOVT doesn't pay - Simple answer, Trade Embargo]

6) Europe wide agreement that anyone jailed for a serious crime has passport siezed for 3 times the length of their sentence (NOT the time served - Unless it is longer for bad behaviour etc). DNA, Photo, Fingerprint and Retina scan taken and shared EU wide. - Any Govt catching the offender at incoming port sues host govt for a nominal £1million and puts that money into Criminal Injury Compensation Fund

7) All [UK] based assets of non-residents found guilty of "Serious" crimes to be frozen and ultimately used to fund Criminal Injuries Compensation or Victim of Crimes Compensation.

8) Internet Based database giving FULL Details of EVERYONE deported from a country which should be available to all people in the deporting country

9) Reward Scheme for anyone reporting a returned deportee - Again funded by the seized assets listed above. [ Aware this may be open to abuse so needs careful handling - Perhaps by tripling fines to host countries and transient countries for a return offender who SHOULD a) have no passport b) be fully documented by Photo / DNA / Fingerprint / retina scan and therefore should not be able to travel.