Sponsored by:

Munch Peterson---- 3 years

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2001, 02:15 AM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

On my way home from Karting tonight, I read in the Evening Standard that Mr Munch Peterson the professor who caused the pile up which killed 3 (I think) and an unborn baby has been jailed for 3 years despite an appeal from the mother of one of the victims saying he had suffered enough and shouldn't go to jail.

Just wondered what the thoughts were. This guy was probably just like many of us, ordinary guy, doing a job (he has shelved his research project of 9 years)and a momentary lapse of concentration, he was getting a sweet out of his coat, and he's in jail. Not a boy racer, a joy rider, a car thief, drink driver or anything......

I for one get sweets out of that little flip top box when I'm driving, occasionally fiddle with the stereo etc etc. I guess it's a case of there but for the grace of God go I.

Personally I think I err to the side of an absolutely tragic accident and the guy has enough to live with on his conscience without having to spend the next 3 years stewing on it.....

Good Night

Dave
Old 15 August 2001, 02:37 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

I think that it was 90 days (3 <B>months</B>) rather than years.

I think that the quote at
Old 15 August 2001, 08:28 AM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

As I understand it the accident occured when he swerved from lane 3 to lane 1....

hardly a "momentary lapse of concentration"

3 months for causing 3(4) deaths is not unexpected IMHO

DJ
Old 15 August 2001, 08:34 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

...but it was an accident. He never "meant" to do it. However he was in control of something that should have maximum concentration, and he obviously was not. MMmmmm, tricky one this...
Old 15 August 2001, 08:58 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Is prison not for rehabilitation? As Mr Peterson has given up his driving licence and vowed never to drive again I can't see what purpose a prison term has. 90 days will not compare to the misery his life will be anyway
Old 15 August 2001, 09:19 AM
ChrisB

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by fast bloke:
<B>Is prison not for rehabilitation? As Mr Peterson has given up his driving licence and vowed never to drive again I can't see what purpose a prison term has. 90 days will not compare to the misery his life will be anyway [/quote]

Very true Fast Bloke. 3 deaths is an awful thing to have on your conscious for the rest of your life.

[This message has been edited by ChrisB (edited 15 August 2001).]
Old 15 August 2001, 09:39 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I used to know a college lecturer who had badly injured a young boy who virtually ran under the front of his car. Dozens of witnesses all said it was not his fault and no further action was taken. This had happened many years before and he still hadn't got over it.

I imagine that this Peterson guy will never be the same because he killed people so needlessly. I also suspect the sentence was handed down more as a warning to others than for punitive reasons. Tragic case all round.