Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Registering a company

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2007, 08:25 PM
Suuba
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Registering a company

Need some guidence.. I'm looking to register a company in a 'LTD' form. I spoke to my solicitors about and was told they would do it for £500 which I thought was OTT. Isnt there a way you can register it in full yourself without spending a fortune in fees?

Old 23 October 2007, 08:27 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I used these guys for mine:

@UK PLC Ecommerce Websites, Domain name Registration, Company Formation and Company Registration

Had no problems and cost next to nothing.
Old 23 October 2007, 08:35 PM
Suuba
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
I used these guys for mine:

@UK PLC Ecommerce Websites, Domain name Registration, Company Formation and Company Registration

Had no problems and cost next to nothing.
Nice, a bit weary of these companies due to horror stories about fraudelent use of details and non registering of peoples companies..

I'll give them a try. Still miffed at my solicitor asking for £500, they even said registering itself costs 200quid!
Old 23 October 2007, 08:51 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

My accountant charged me about £250 to do mine IIRC. I thought that was excessive, but they guaranteed all the paperwork would be in order when they come to do the end of year accounts.

I could have done it cheaper online, my mate sorted his for about £80, but you have to be damn sure they suppy you with all the right bits of paper, e.g. certificate showing ownership of shares (I have 1 share woohoo!) so you can open a company bank account etc. You also need stuff like, official minutes of the first meeting (where the company was formed).

I was happy to pay to make sure it was all done properly.

Btw I used Chartered Accountants Swindon & Cirencester - Home - Morris Owen
Old 23 October 2007, 08:52 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suuba
Still miffed at my solicitor asking for £500, they even said registering itself costs 200quid!
Hmmm, I'd say that's a blatant lie, registering it is the cheap and easy bit approx £40 IIRC.
Old 23 October 2007, 08:59 PM
Suuba
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
Hmmm, I'd say that's a blatant lie, registering it is the cheap and easy bit approx £40 IIRC.
Damn right. Am changing solicitor after that.. ridiculous.

I'll see my accountant.
Old 23 October 2007, 09:41 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

My accountant (top place) charges £250 for a fresh new company not some dodgey name changed company that was previously registered as qwerty spanners blah blah blah Ltd
Old 23 October 2007, 09:49 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suuba
Need some guidence.. I'm looking to register a company in a 'LTD' form. I spoke to my solicitors about and was told they would do it for £500 which I thought was OTT. Isnt there a way you can register it in full yourself without spending a fortune in fees?

I did it myself for £20 and the cost of a Statutory Declaration. You can buy a pack with all of the required CH forms and a detailed guide for about a tenner from Staples.
Old 23 October 2007, 10:04 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
My accountant (top place) charges £250 for a fresh new company not some dodgey name changed company that was previously registered as qwerty spanners blah blah blah Ltd
UKPLC registered my company as a fresh new name for about £25 with all the paperwork. My company reg number was 05177489, disolved now as I have no need for it.
Old 23 October 2007, 10:09 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

My accountant did mine and all the associated paperwork for the bank etc. for £150. They also did it very quickly as they use an agency next door to Companies House.

I was happy to pay as it was a reasonable sum and no hassle. Indeed I am about to set up a second company in the next few days and will do the same thing.
Old 23 October 2007, 10:20 PM
Newbie123
Scooby Regular

As with most things in life you get what you pay for. Yes you can do it for around £50 but you'd then have to ensure that all the paperwork is correct write up the first minutes yourself etc etc etc

I would recommend using a company agent. As accountants we Jordans and for any clients we just recharge the costs direct without any uplift on the basis that hopefully the client will use us to prepare the accounts etc By using a company agent you will guarantee that everything is ship shape and proper. You can go to the agent direct and just pay using a credit card.

We've used them for at least 20 years and they've never let us down. I recommend going for the compliance package at £165 + vat as then you will have all the initial board minutes completed for you.

Private limited company formation
Old 24 October 2007, 10:33 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

There are plenty of companies around who will do it for a couple of hundred with readymade off the shelf companies whose name you can quickly change - subject to Companies House approval - go on line to see if the name you want has been taken already and you can only have polite names too!!

The better one's will also provide you with a bank account upon production of passport, etc, to check you are above board. Provided the bank is Barclays or somesuch, it is a measure of the relibility of the company formation agent as the banks won't now deal with any one!!

Don't forget to register for VAT sooner rather than later if your turnover builds quickly. I think this taking up to 3 months to get VAT registered now.