Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Your experiences of call centres

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2007, 01:57 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Your experiences of call centres

Especially those which have been out-sourced to cheap labour in India etc.
I can't inform you of my experiences while contacting the 'Barclays Bank' help centre as I don't want to be INFRACTED due to bad language, non-implied racial overtones etc. However; the lack of local knowledge (read UK/residence understanding) and my difficulty in decerning the Indian accent really don't help things along
I feel really sorry for these people, it must be at least as stressful to those on the other end of the line as me.
god, give me a regional accent or even someone from London.
Old 23 October 2007, 02:01 PM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We only deal with companies with UK call centres...

Royal Bank of Scotland & Direct Line
Old 23 October 2007, 02:01 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Are you telling me "Dave" isnt English when I talk to him????????????????????????????????????????
Old 23 October 2007, 02:06 PM
P1-Brad
Scooby Regular

Called up BT Broadband to set-up a direct debit for my 'Broadand Talk' account ... 20 minutes into the conversation i'd managed to confirm the spelling of my name and got halfway through the first line of my address. Working out that it'd take about an hour just to get past the data protection checks I hung up. He couldn't understand me, I couldn't understand him, and after saying and spelling my name at least 5 times I completely lost patience.

Ended up complaining online ... for a communication company to not be able to communicate with customers was both laughable and ironic

Got some money credited to my account though

Don't know if the call operator went on a training course or was moved to a 'back office' role, as i'd politely suggested.
Old 23 October 2007, 02:21 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
Are you telling me "Dave" isnt English when I talk to him????????????????????????????????????????
Que?
Old 23 October 2007, 02:24 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Companies with overseas call centres now must be seeing a downturn in revenue. Everyone I know will only insure their houses,cars, lives etc through companies with English speaking call centres as said above its a complete pain in the **** to try and explain things over and over.
We have a South African call centre that 'looks after' our Home Shopping compaints and we end up getting more complaints about the call centre.
Old 23 October 2007, 02:42 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Citibank are appalling on the phone...as are barclays.

Thankfully, american express are great.
Never had any problems with orange premier (all scousers) and the BA gold line is based in newcastle...
Old 23 October 2007, 02:48 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Just had a call from HSBC regarding my company card. It seemed to be an 'offshore' call centre and my experience was excellent. The lady could not have been more helpful and polite. Also very easy to understand.

Must just be me then
Old 23 October 2007, 02:57 PM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

If you receive a call from HSBC its quite likely to be from the UK.. It is when you phone them you will get transferred abroad....
Old 23 October 2007, 03:06 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by girl-in-a-scoob
If you receive a call from HSBC its quite likely to be from the UK.. It is when you phone them you will get transferred abroad....
So it appears that Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corp (HSBC) as out-sourcing too!
Old 23 October 2007, 03:10 PM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

yep... complete with videos of eastenders and lists of english names to pick
Old 23 October 2007, 03:11 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I phoned HSBC the other day to cancel a standing order and spoke to a British person.

BT is the one that bugs me, can you imagine as Turbohot pointed out, a Geordie (me) and an Indian call person trying to understand each other. It was a joke
Old 23 October 2007, 03:14 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Well mine aren't too bad actually. Called BT Broadband, Netgear routers and Dell recently. All were on the sub-continent.

Problem solved each time, with no real language difficulties. All have been friendly, decent people.

They haven't pretended to be called Dave or James or Sarah either

Though one asked if it was the rainy season in the UK at the moment
Old 23 October 2007, 03:19 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Fedex and Bangalore call centre......... POOR POOR POOOOOOOR!
I work in the UK end of things and the amount of errors caused by their work is unbelievable.

Also hate calling them too, I know its all scripted but thats half the problem.

Aaaah well, aint gonna change over night, but in the meantime I will stick with Direct Line and Orange Premier etc.
Old 23 October 2007, 03:22 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Someone I was speaking to recently received a cold call from a phone company on one of these scripted sales calls.
Going for the deal the guy asked the caller if there was a cooling off period for the contract.

Stunned and confused by the question, the caller paused and replied "yes sir, very cool phone"
Old 23 October 2007, 04:18 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I've had experiences on both ends of the phone, a good few years ago I worked for British Airways in their call centre, and my experience is they are awful places to work, modern day sweatshops, they time all your breaks to the second, they time the ammount of time you spend on the toilet! (I kid you not). They are awful places to work for to be honest pretty poor money, I'vce now got out and have a well paid job thank god, however I do sympathise with people that work in them. I can't condone cold callers though.

On the flip side I used to have a phone with 3, all was fine till the handset became faulty, twice. And their call centre was worse than usless, they couldn't understand me and I couldn't understand them, it put me off 3 for life no matter how good their deals are.
Old 23 October 2007, 04:49 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Regarding HSBC - the lady had a strong Indian accent and she could have been anywhere in the world. She was very good though.

When I worked for a big corporate the only direct complaint about offshored call centres was traced to a call that was made to a call centre in Liverpool.
Old 23 October 2007, 04:52 PM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
I've had experiences on both ends of the phone, a good few years ago I worked for British Airways in their call centre, and my experience is they are awful places to work, modern day sweatshops, they time all your breaks to the second, they time the ammount of time you spend on the toilet! (I kid you not). They are awful places to work for to be honest pretty poor money, I'vce now got out and have a well paid job thank god, however I do sympathise with people that work in them. I can't condone cold callers though.

On the flip side I used to have a phone with 3, all was fine till the handset became faulty, twice. And their call centre was worse than usless, they couldn't understand me and I couldn't understand them, it put me off 3 for life no matter how good their deals are.
we had this with 3, told them they had to get somebody else to ring us back from the UK and they did
Old 23 October 2007, 06:00 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Called Bell Direct to change car over to interim run about.

Me: blah blah....the car is a Rover 213
Them: Can you spell that please
Me: R O V E R
Them: ok thanking you
Me 213
Them: Ok Thanking you
Pause
Them: That is Rover yes?
Me: Correct
Them: Ok I think I find it
blah blah
Old 23 October 2007, 10:17 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The call centre for Virgin Atlantic lost luggage was crap. It had Indian-accented staff, who understood me without problem, but all the procedures were awful. Bad process management rather than inefficient staff IMO.
Old 23 October 2007, 11:04 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

I speaka da english, I learn it from a book!
Old 23 October 2007, 11:13 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300
I phoned HSBC the other day to cancel a standing order and spoke to a British person.

BT is the one that bugs me, can you imagine as Turbohot pointed out, a Geordie (me) and an Indian call person trying to understand each other. It was a joke
I can well imagine that experience, as I had it first hand

I had the great pleasure of calling Dell on behalf of a customer. Got through to an Indian call centre where it was a challenge for them to get my name. Trying to explain that I want a single stick of 1Gb ram instead of 2 sticks of 512Mb took well over 30 mins. Only when I uttered the code words "oh, for ****s sake" when I thought the chap was not listening did a supervisor come on and sort it out

Last edited by Luminous; 23 October 2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 24 October 2007, 12:57 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Tried phoning AOL to sort out some problems with me aunties net connection the other day.

I have to admint they are quite well mannered & polite calling you sir etc, apologising for putting you on hold. apart from that though i couldnt understand a word they was saying.

After an hour on the phone her connection is still not working although i believe i did get a recipe for a chicken jalfrezi.
Old 24 October 2007, 07:41 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

It appears ironic that alot of these call centre operators also claim to have the same sirname as me. This happens increasingly where there is a potential sale involved.........
Old 24 October 2007, 07:53 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

I just love this http://www.fonejacker.tv/soundboards/monies.swf reminds me of some of the call centres

Last edited by Jaybird-UK; 24 October 2007 at 07:55 AM.
Old 24 October 2007, 08:11 AM
Ghetto Dude3
Scooby Regular

actually quite a few based up here in newcastle

off the top of my head
bt (was given a direct line number once when i had problems, all sorted in 20 mins!)
2 x orange, one normal punter and one business
1 more orange in durham

there is more, but i just cant remember them at the moment (loads on the cobalt business park)
Old 24 October 2007, 08:34 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
my experience is they are awful places to work, modern day sweatshops, they time all your breaks to the second, they time the ammount of time you spend on the toilet! (I kid you not).
They did that at T-mobile where I used to work too!

When we moved house I had to call Admiral (car insurer at the time) to update my details. It took three calls and over an hour on the phone spread out over two weeks just to get this sorted! They kept updating my details with the wrong address, which probably meant that legally I wasn't insured at that time! On the last call I ended up escalating it to a manager, it was a joke! I'm now with A-Plan, always get straight through and have never had a problem. I've even recommended them to friends because of how friendly and efficient they are on the phone.
Old 24 October 2007, 03:06 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

Not so long ago when I was getting a quote for car insurance, I informed them it was a Subaru, they replied in a questionable tone and wrong pronounciation of the word 'Subaru' as if it was a never heard of before car make or word, I almost started to laugh
Old 24 October 2007, 04:48 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I like the way companies are starting to advertise UK only call centres now. I certainly ask now as I won't use companies with non uk call centres anymore.
Old 24 October 2007, 04:56 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ghetto Dude3
actually quite a few based up here in newcastle

off the top of my head
bt (was given a direct line number once when i had problems, all sorted in 20 mins!)
2 x orange, one normal punter and one business
1 more orange in durham

there is more, but i just cant remember them at the moment (loads on the cobalt business park)

TNT are in Gateshead