GT3 on the PC oh Yeah

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2002, 03:56 PM
MarkJackon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check this out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gran Turismo 3 PC glee
Web posted on 8/1/02 Sony have confirmed that GT developers Polyphony are hard at work on a Gran Turismo title for PC entitled Gran Turismo Professonial.
Until now, PC owners had to sit agog while smug console-owning friends revved it up to the max with their fancy racers - Gran Turismo 3 being the most impressive and desirable. Put off stealing your mate's PS2 for now and listen to this - the PC is set to get Gran Turismo all for itself. Polyphony have started work on a conversion of Gran Turismo 3 for the PC, called Gran Turismo Professional. It's being worked on alongside Gran Turismo 4 for the PS2, which raises some very interesting questions...

So, Gran Turismo on a PC and on PS2 - online gaming instantly springs to mind, doesn't it? Sony have already stated that Gran Turismo 4 on the PS2 will definitely be online, and you wouldn't bet against the PC version of GT Professional having online capabilities either, so will PC and console gamers be able to make sweet engine music together? Let's hope so, otherwise the gap between PC and console gamers will widen ever more.

Previous story: 8/1/02 Snake slips til March

Old 10 January 2002, 03:58 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Wonder what spec PC you'll need to run the game the same speed as the £200 console

Don't get me wrong, I love PCs, just find it silly when people have to spend more on a video card than an entire console to get a game looking good.
Old 10 January 2002, 04:48 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Maybe, but most games console games come to the PC and some classic PC games takes ages to get to the consoles or are rubbish when they do. And try browsing the net on your console, or try running educational software for your kids on your console, or try word processing on your console, or try upgrading your console when it's old hat, or etc etc.

PCs, your one stop computing requirement.

Geezer
Old 10 January 2002, 04:57 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

hehe, this is an old argument, and you're preaching to the converted... but..

One good thing about consoles is that they don't need upgrading. Everyone is running the same level of hardware.. Often programmers for PC games think "ah well, I can get away with writing this inefficiently.. and the users will just upgrade their PCs"

Sure, a PC can be upgrade, but often for the same price as a new console.. so it's six of one and half a dozen of another.

I think I'd trust a 6yr old with a console more than I would a PC.

I love gaming on the net, but sometimes I just want to sit back on a comfy sofa, and view the game on a big screen.

There's a market for both (obviously).

Sure, a PC can do more than a console can, but then it costs at least 3x the price, so you'd expect it to. But that doesn't answer why a good gfx card (like the one that appears in a gamecube) costs more than a Gamecube. Weird.
Old 10 January 2002, 05:10 PM
McMiata Man
Scooby Regular

I would have said that the best feature of a console is that it doesn't crash like a PC, a theory I proved wrong last night while playing GTA3.

I was trying to drive a speed-boat up a street while being chased by the FEDS in tanks and helicopters , when I tried to jump out the screen froze!

I don't think it could handle the fact I was not jumping into water.
Old 10 January 2002, 05:19 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Sorry Guys I dont think this will happen.

GT3 is the game that sells PS2's and I dont think Sony would allow this game to be on any other platform!

Just my "2 euro's" worth, and I want to see it as much as you.

I bought and sold a playstation 2 within 2 months with GT3, it's not that good, no better that the origonal, just better graphics.

IMHO of course
Old 11 January 2002, 11:16 AM
MarkJackon
Scooby Regular

GT3 sells PS2's, true but it also sells £40 games, more profit on a the games than the consoles ?

The PS2 has a huge user base now so its not an issue, the PC v PS2 thing doesnt wash, I have both and they both have strengths and weaknesses.

As for PC spec, a Geforce 2 MX (about £50) should do the trick
Old 11 January 2002, 01:28 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

The games creator HAS said the next game in the series will have the focus on ONLINE play.

Now to sell a game like that, you need a large installed base of online users, and who better than the PC fraternity to unite with PS2 users?

I wouldn't imagine it would be a simple port though - I bet huge chunks have to be re-written.

-DV