Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any Guitar Players...

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2007, 10:57 PM
PaulC555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Guitar Players...

So got a new guitar after not playing in 18 years....have picked up around 9 songs in my first week with it.....nice guitar an ESP.....
anyway...the amp has the usual overdrive function..what I wanted to know...is
"does a distortion pedal sound just the same as the overdrive on the amp?"
or do you get a different sound with the addition of the distortion pedal....

looking for a good rock/metal sound....should I just use the overdrive on the amp..or invest in a pedal also..?

thanks.....
Old 08 September 2007, 11:04 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Talk to bubba !
Old 08 September 2007, 11:36 PM
i8gtmf
Scooby Regular

No mate it will sound different, most basic guitar amp overdive sounds on your average transistor amps are a bit tame for me.
I've got these two myself

BOSS
Line 6 - PODxt

The Pod is great especially if you link it to a pc as you can download extra patches for it free
Old 08 September 2007, 11:58 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Distortion pedals will more than likely give you a different sound to your amp. Lots of pedals and amps are voiced differently, hence the vast array of both.

If you can't dial in a nice sound from your amp, try out some pedals. What model of ESP do you have? What make/model is your amp? Do you like transistor distortion or valve? Pedals and modellers have come on a great deal in recent years and you can get some good sounds without too much outlay.

The Boss MT-2 gets pretty good write ups depending on what you are looking for (Boss MT-2 Metal Zone: Harmony Central User Reviews. I was recently tempted by a Metal Muff, but ended up buying an older Marshall JMP-1 to play about with instead.

Best bit of advice, take your guitar and amp down to a music shop and ask to try out some different effect pedals, or even different amps if your budget will stretch to it.
Old 09 September 2007, 04:46 PM
PaulC555
Scooby Regular

thanks for the advice guys....only starting to play again..so back to the basics for me...just got a 15W practice amp at the minute..was reluctant to spend much more money than I did...to make sure I could get into it again.then I will look at upgrading....just wanted to sound out opinions on sound of a standard distortion pedal against the overdrive....but will try a fe out..thanks
Old 09 September 2007, 07:17 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I can't add anything to what's already been said, really. A decent amp is a must, though. I'm not a big fan of heavy fuzz-style distortion either, so I can't help you there. In fact, why am I posting at all?