EU To ban aftermarket exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2007, 09:13 AM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EU To ban aftermarket exhausts

This was posted on another forum.

Clampdown on modified exhausts - Politics - Ireland - Breaking News - Belfast Telegraph

Although the link is from an N.I. newspaper, I wonder if the ban will also apply across the rest of the UK and how it will be enforced.
Old 06 September 2007, 09:15 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Wow, that journalist earned their money. No reference to what directive or anything.
Old 06 September 2007, 09:19 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Technically they are already banned. They are handing out section 59s here to stop people from using them.

The car is evil, all those who use it should be fined. Every journey should be applied for in triplicate, each copy being passed by green activists. Only if they all agree will your key start the car...that is the future...
Old 06 September 2007, 10:45 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Technically they are already banned. They are handing out section 59s here to stop people from using them.

The car is evil, all those who use it should be fined. Every journey should be applied for in triplicate, each copy being passed by green activists. Only if they all agree will your key start the car...that is the future...
That is only a very minor part of the real future!

Les
Old 06 September 2007, 11:56 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Here is the happy chap who wants to force his opinions on the modified car scene

Fine Gael
Old 06 September 2007, 01:38 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

To be honest - It's about time!

Some of the after market exhausts just take the p1ss in my opinion. They are so socially unfriendly with noise pollution.

Why should car makers be stringently checked & have to abide to drive by noise tests, when 3 seconds after the car is registered, you can rip off the 'developed' exhaust & put on a full 6" de-cat? It's just plain wrong.

hey....flame me

Last edited by Dr Hu; 06 September 2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06 September 2007, 01:40 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will this apply to motor bikes aswell

Most motor bike "cans" are louder than any car I have heard on the road!
Old 06 September 2007, 01:53 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I've just ordered a Focus ST, there's no way on Earth I'm keeping its standard exhaust on for long! But then I won't be taking all the silencers out as I have an ounce of comon sense, something that seems to be lacking these days!
Old 06 September 2007, 02:29 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Dr Hu
To be honest - It's about time!

Some of the after market exhausts just take the p1ss in my opinion. They are so socially unfriendly with noise pollution.

Why should car makers be stringently checked & have to abide to drive by noise tests, when 3 seconds after the car is registered, you can rip off the 'developed' exhaust & put on a full 6" de-cat? It's just plain wrong.

hey....flame me
SORRY MATE, YOU'LL HAVE TO SPEAK UP: I'VE JUST FITTED AN AFTERBURNER VORTEX TO THE SCOOBY

No legislation required here; it's the same as anything else, just show a bit of consideration for people who may not share your hobby!

Good ole fashioned decency and respect!

ns04
Old 06 September 2007, 02:34 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

What do they consider an aftermarket exhaust? Non-OEM? if so then what happens when you want to get a replacement exhaust from Kwik-Fit, as I doubt they'd be official OEM exhausts, more likely to be some pattern part.
Old 06 September 2007, 02:37 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

A mate put a straight through exhaust on his GTV V6 a while about and, trust me, it was LOUD! ..... sounded great though
Old 06 September 2007, 02:37 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot
Will this apply to motor bikes aswell

Most motor bike "cans" are louder than any car I have heard on the road!
Have done for years. traditioanlly only bikers have been targeted as a non-legal can has to be stamped "not for road use". If it has the stamp then instant fine, no noise check recquired.

5t.
Old 06 September 2007, 02:38 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Markus
What do they consider an aftermarket exhaust? Non-OEM? if so then what happens when you want to get a replacement exhaust from Kwik-Fit, as I doubt they'd be official OEM exhausts, more likely to be some pattern part.
Technically, as the rules stand at the moment, you're not supposed to fit anything not manufactured by the makers of the car IIRC. Specifically, the wording relates to it being unnacceptable to fit an aftermarket exhaust which alters the amount of noise exhaust gasses make upon exiting the car.

Sensibly, it's not generally a rule that is enforced to the letter, or we'd all be in trouble! It's probably useful to have it there to bring the people who are genuinely antisocial with there exhausts to book though!

Ns04
Old 06 September 2007, 03:45 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

"It's not an aftermarket exhaust officer, in fact there is no exhaust at all - just a downpipe"

How loud would that be?
Old 06 September 2007, 03:50 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

But as soon as your exhaust rots through you actually go to Kwik Fit and get an "aftermarket" exhaust not made by the car manufacturer. The problem is how does the legislation take this into account.
It is done using the police officers discretion or using a complaint that is levelled by someone who is obviously predujiced. It SHOULD be done to controlled legislation i.e. a noise limit which would be farer. Alternatively we should go the TUV system i.e. approved parts only are available to buy in the country the vehicle is used in.
Old 06 September 2007, 03:53 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by fivetide
Have done for years. traditioanlly only bikers have been targeted as a non-legal can has to be stamped "not for road use". If it has the stamp then instant fine, no noise check recquired.

5t.
I had a magnex exhaust on my MY99 UK Turbo which had that stamp on it

It was on when I bought the slightly modified beasty. Everytime it was on the ramps I used to have a little chuckle to myself but didnt realise it was a legal thingummyjig

It sailed though MOT's though and I was never stopped by the law thankfully
Old 06 September 2007, 03:59 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Beastie
But as soon as your exhaust rots through you actually go to Kwik Fit and get an "aftermarket" exhaust not made by the car manufacturer. The problem is how does the legislation take this into account.
It is done using the police officers discretion or using a complaint that is levelled by someone who is obviously predujiced. It SHOULD be done to controlled legislation i.e. a noise limit which would be farer. Alternatively we should go the TUV system i.e. approved parts only are available to buy in the country the vehicle is used in.

It doesn't take that into account mate, but that's only cause it's so loosely enforced it doesn't really need to!

TBH noise limits are only really an issue for people who live near the culprit. A loud car driving past you for 2 secs hurts no-one, but one left to idle on a drive at 8am when you work nights might well be a problem. In contrast, some people have neighbours who actually like, or at least are indifferent, to even very noisy exhausts so it would seem a bit OTT to make someone change their backbox when it wasn't even irritating the people who have to put up with it for any substantial periods!

It should be someting that can be easily negotiated between the individuals concerned in a civilised society. The legislation should only be brought into effect when someone is being unreasonable, which -for the most part- appears to be the purpose it serves now....with the exception of the high profile Prodrive issue some months ago!

Ns04
Old 06 September 2007, 04:03 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
I had a magnex exhaust on my MY99 UK Turbo which had that stamp on it

It was on when I bought the slightly modified beasty. Everytime it was on the ramps I used to have a little chuckle to myself but didnt realise it was a legal thingummyjig

It sailed though MOT's though and I was never stopped by the law thankfully

Apparently HM Plod don't check cars for it because it means getting on the hands and knees, clearing the crap off the exhaust etc. With a bike it is sat there just saying "look at me" never seen it on a car one myself though. Hope you got extra cash for rarity

As for waking the neighbours, i figure if the can't be bothered to park properly, look after their vandalising chav kids, put their bins out, lock the security door, keep their music down to a dull roar etc then i can have a loud car and they can kiss my hairy hoop!

5t.
Old 06 September 2007, 05:38 PM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

Doh, just spotted this posted over in general. Maybe a mod would like to close this one because the other thread was posted first.
Old 06 September 2007, 05:59 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Personally I want to have the choice to change my exhaust, however I cannot be doing with it when some ignorant **** in an old Civic rips it past at 2am making a racket, bikes as well, yes we are all very impressed now shut the f*ck up you noisy tosser.

Some are a worthwhile performance enhancement, others are a cry for help.
Old 06 September 2007, 06:31 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
It doesn't take that into account mate, but that's only cause it's so loosely enforced it doesn't really need to!

TBH noise limits are only really an issue for people who live near the culprit. A loud car driving past you for 2 secs hurts no-one, but one left to idle on a drive at 8am when you work nights might well be a problem. In contrast, some people have neighbours who actually like, or at least are indifferent, to even very noisy exhausts so it would seem a bit OTT to make someone change their backbox when it wasn't even irritating the people who have to put up with it for any substantial periods!

It should be someting that can be easily negotiated between the individuals concerned in a civilised society. The legislation should only be brought into effect when someone is being unreasonable, which -for the most part- appears to be the purpose it serves now....with the exception of the high profile Prodrive issue some months ago!

Ns04

That was my point that it doesnt take that into account, and the legislation actually says if it is not a manufacturers part then it does not meet the construction and use regulations. I dont know who drew it up but it is too loose. If you can imagine a PPP classic Subaru being fined, which is actually quite quiet, then you can see that this legislation can only be used as a money grabbing measure by upholders of the law with no common sense.

The thing is the police were using the PPP classics as police cars but they werent giving themselves fines.

It is part of what is wrong with our social attitudes in Britain. We are intolerant to each other and do not allow each individual to develop fully.

IMHO