Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can anyone help - knee keeps clicking?

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2007, 05:08 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone help - knee keeps clicking?

Ok, for the last 3 months or so, going up and down stairs hasn't been a struggle, but my left knee when straightening up, always clicks.

It isn't a click like you need to crack your nuckles or similar, but a click which you feel ever so slightly and is really quite annoying.

It's gotten to the point where if i crouch down about 2-3 inches and straighten up, that even makes it click.

Yesterday and today, it has been rather painful in the way it moves. At certain points, it gives a very sharp pain like when you bend your elbow too far back the wrong way. I'm unsure if this is a pain caused by the clicking, or if it was something else.

I'm a panel beater by trade and getting down on my knees or crouching is a day in day out occurance.

I don't want to go to the docs as i'm convinced they'll say it'll go away and not to bother them, so does anyone on here have any ideas?
Old 05 September 2007, 05:17 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

I've had 5 ops on my right knee following an old rugby injury (cartilidge removal, ACL reconstruction etc) and mine clicks all the time.

If you knee is giving way, you could have torn your ACL (anterior cruciate ligament). Contrary to what some people may think, you can tear it without even knowing. You do say that you are having some pain though.

It wouldn't hurt to have it checked out by your doc, who may refer you on - wer'e not getting younger you know!

One other thing - do you take cod liver oil tabs?
Old 05 September 2007, 05:31 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that fella.

I'm not a particularly active person....don't play sports etc, so no KNOWN damage.

I had my mum and dads dog head butt me on the same knee the other night, so not sure if thats given the pain, as it WAS rather sore at the time.

I spose i could go to the doc, but they are always so hopeless with anything...maybe it's just me.

Lol at not getting any younger. I'm still only 26.

No cod liver oils, but i didn't want to cover something up IYSWIM?
Old 05 September 2007, 05:41 PM
kend
Scooby Regular

Go see your GP.
He/she won't think you are wasting their time.

Ken (GP)
Old 05 September 2007, 05:42 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Lol ok, i'll phone tomorrow thanks.
Old 05 September 2007, 05:44 PM
Paddi70
Scooby Regular

Mate, know hoe you feel. In 19 year with MOD PLC, and bith mine creak and crack. But no real pain, unless been hammered hard on phys. Completed the three peaks challange last Thursday, and yes the did hurt like hell, but think its just wear and tear after many years of abuse. What ever your job, we do get old.
Old 05 September 2007, 05:47 PM
dougies549
Scooby Regular

Hi Dave

Phone me phone about this m8 if you wish as it sounds like what i have.

Cheers Dougie
Old 05 September 2007, 05:53 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Cheers Paddi. I'll be getting some sort of pills now, but will check with GP first.

Will phone you tomorrow eveing Dougie if thats ok?
Old 05 September 2007, 06:03 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

been clicking for years and been told repeatedly there's nothing wrong. cartledge op on left knee a few yrs ago "to see if that would cure it", LOL. thought i'd wait and see before having the right done at the same time!

no difference really. now been diagnosed with early osteo-arthritis following a recent x-ray...only about 20yrs since i first asked and was told it was "growing pains".

felt like a ligiment pulling across the knee cap every time it happened - that sound familiar? does your knee completely give way momentarily as well?
Old 05 September 2007, 06:09 PM
rob878
Scooby Regular

Just a thought, if your job involves a lot of kneeling, do you wear proper knee pads? ie ones that take the pressure off your knee cap and transfer it to around knee area. Imagine that when you are kneeling you are shoving the knee cap into the groove it runs up and down, and then when you move around you grind the cartilage together. This can cause CMP (chondro malacia patella) which is the roughening of the Hyaline cartilage.

Just a thought. Might be right might be wrong
Old 05 September 2007, 08:01 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

As above posts, I had a serious cruciate ligamant tear 15 years ago (football injury) that required major surgery. Had trouble with it ever since such as regular clicking. Every couple of years I have a bit of day surgery to clear out all the cr4p floating around in the knee joint. Sounds like you may need a bit of day surgery to me if it's bothering you? No bigie as only needs a few days off work then you're OK.

TX.
Old 06 September 2007, 11:40 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys.

I'm not usually ON my knee's, but crouch down a lot so dunno if they'd really help at all...the knee pads.

Went to doc's and they are referring me to an orthapedic surgeon. God knows when i'll get an appointment.
Old 06 September 2007, 03:09 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

I've had noisy knees for years. More than once the quack has told me that for the amount of noise I should be in agony. Thankfully, no pain.

So, to try to minimise the clicking I take 1500mg Glucosamine/day. I also wear orthotics prescribed by my physio. See a physio/podiatrist and check if your pronating or not. If your knee alignment is out of whack the knee cap can be taped such that the surrounding muscles strengthen. A combination of all the above has helped in my case.
Old 06 September 2007, 04:57 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Thanks. What is pronating?
Old 06 September 2007, 08:45 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My elbows, thumbs and ankles click, its called cavitation, Nitrogen in your joints moving about, I dont get any pain, its just inconvenient when my thumb locks when on the Xbox.
Old 06 September 2007, 11:15 PM
m1cks
Scooby Regular

I had ACL surgery and repair work to my cartilage. Mt knee creaks cracks and clicks more then ever. It's so loud that people whince because they think you should be in agony. Only thing now is I cannot get up once I have been crouching for any lenghthy period and I cannot kneel on the repaired knee anymore because it feels like there is no cushioning behind the kneecap.
Old 07 September 2007, 07:12 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

I get the usual clicks, as i know everyone does, but now i'm noticing it is clicking even when walking.