Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Best item to keep to protect ones home from intruders...

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2007, 10:11 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best item to keep to protect ones home from intruders...

I know this is a rather controversial question, but does anyone keep any items to hand in their home to use against intruders?...

I am concerned at the number of burglaries in the area, and was thinking of getting something to kee by the bedside if this awful situation was ever to arise

LEGAL POINT: ITS NOT ILLEGAL TO KEEP A WEAPON IN YOUR OWN HOME, it only becomes an offence if you posses an offensive weopen in a PUBLIC place..

So whats the top ten items?

1. Baseball bat...aluminium or wooden?

Please add to the list accordingly...

By the way I wouldnt dream of keeping any kind of gun or samurai swords etc, as I'd hate to kill the buggers (as much as we all say we'd like to!!)
Old 22 August 2007, 10:24 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

My house alarm went off a few weeks back (false alarm ) - it phones me up when it goes off so I'm there within 10mins.

I get there and I meet the neighbour outside with an aluminium baseball bat

Certainly looks like a sufficient weapon for hitting ***** with
Old 22 August 2007, 10:26 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

jamo
Old 22 August 2007, 10:32 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

bricks doors windows
Old 22 August 2007, 10:35 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Dog all the way. Fully PP trained.

Old 22 August 2007, 10:37 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My personal choice is taking measures to make it very difficult to get in in the first place.
Old 22 August 2007, 10:40 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
My personal choice is taking measures to make it very difficult to get in in the first place.
Agreed, I have 2 of the above roaming the grounds 24/7.
Old 22 August 2007, 10:48 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

I would have thought a baseball bat would be pretty useless in a close quarters situation like a house. Mainly because you have to take a big swing and that's not always possible, and secondly because if someone is swinging a big long bat at you its very easy to walk inside the range of the bat and render it useless.

I'd say a shorter sturdy object like a maglite would be far better.
Old 22 August 2007, 10:57 PM
stoneface
Scooby Regular

Pick axe handle, apparently they are very effective if used end on
Old 22 August 2007, 11:46 PM
carbon
Scooby Regular

samurai sword. my weapon of choice.

to my brother Bud, the only man i ever loved....enscribed on the blade!
Old 23 August 2007, 12:15 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carbon
samurai sword. my weapon of choice.

to my brother Bud, the only man i ever loved....enscribed on the blade!
you have hatori hanso

you lie
Old 23 August 2007, 12:38 AM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

PERSONAL..

1. Led baton
2. Raid big can CS mace spray from france.. (size like mini fire extinguisher in car)
3. brass knukle dusters x2
4. kitchen knife..

all beside me!!!!!

no baseball bats though.................
Old 23 August 2007, 12:42 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Personally I would leave them to it

Round here they come tooled up with guns etc, so as far as im concerned they can have what they want, I aint fighting against any gun
Old 23 August 2007, 12:44 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'

Round here they come tooled up with guns etc, so as far as im concerned they can have what they want, I aint fighting against any gun
Do you live in Baghdad? Or Liverpool, Leeds or Manchester?
Old 23 August 2007, 12:52 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

close to Liverpool

Sort of inbetween Liverpool & Manchester

My garage got burgled a few years ago, my next door neighbour got burgled and had both his cars stolen (they came in for the keys, used a cordless drill on the door too) another neighour has been burgled a few times

and we actually live in the quieter nicer part of the area, and right near the Police Training Unit too
Old 23 August 2007, 01:07 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Being near a police training place won't help you.

When I was doing mine I was on the lash every night

Biggest deterrent agianst burglars in my experience is a dog that barks. That and proper security. Obvious I know........... The dog will only scare of the sweating, skeletal drug addict. The professional will kill your pet.

Trouble is there is the smack head burglar who only hits soft targets for his £100, and the organised, nasty ones that target wealth and will hurt you. Fight against them and you could get killed as they never work alone, and have already researched your house and know what they want.

Last edited by fatherpierre; 23 August 2007 at 01:09 AM.
Old 23 August 2007, 01:13 AM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
Being near a police training place won't help you.

When I was doing mine I was on the lash every night

Biggest deterrent agianst burglars in my experience is a dog that barks. That and proper security. Obvious I know........... The dog will only scare of the sweating, skeletal drug addict. The professional will kill your pet.

Trouble is there is the smack head burglar who only hits soft targets for his £100, and the organised, nasty ones that target wealth and will hurt you. Fight against them and you could get killed as they never work alone, and have already researched your house and know what they want.
In all reality............

I fully fully agree with this.......

Take this advice............
Old 23 August 2007, 08:28 AM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

I keep an hollow metal bar by the side of the bed, its short black and light but will hurt.

I would have no qualms whatsoever in using it.

I have grandparents who are in their 80's who were burgled about 2 months ago. My grandfather hasn't gotten over it. Because extra locks were fitted to the house he feels claustrophobic so keeps gettin up in the night to open all the doors. My grandmother has had hell to play about it so neither are getting much rest now.

I won't post what I would like to do to the scum who burgled them.

The Police have a good idea who it is but not enough evidence against him.

Guess what - he's a junkie.
Old 23 August 2007, 08:32 AM
Steptoe
Scooby Regular

Right,have a high powered air rifle,crossbow,3x batons (like the cops have),
knuckle duster and a length of scaffolding pole.
Which,i might add,would only be used in a life or death situation.

Or if the missus scrapes my bumper again!
Old 23 August 2007, 08:39 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Large Maglite, takes 6/8 large cells approx 24" long. Can kee it in the car or home with good reason to be there.

Best thing to do is to make you property unatractive to the scumbags. Hoowever this just moves the problem slsewhere instead of dealing with it

1) Security lights
2) Decent locks
3) Wobbly fences/gates that are difficult and noisey to get over
3) Alarm which you can zone (Upstairs/downstairs/both) even if you have pets you can get PIR sensors to accommodate all but the largest of mutts.
Old 23 August 2007, 08:48 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

I have been the victim of an armed robbery for my car keys. 4 men 1 gun.

Usual MO drive a 4x4 through the front door charge in mob handed expecting the victim to crumble and hand over the keys, when one of the ohh so scary men foolishly came up the stairs he met me with a snooker cue handle which promptly met him square in the face several times.

He promptly went back down the stairs on his a#se dropping his gun in the process, his ohh so hard 3 mates dragged him out of what was left of my door threw him into the back of the 4x4 pick up and drove off.

Baseball bats are good if you can swing them but you are better off with a Rounders bat/Snooker cue handle, close quarters is where it will get messy.

Never did get my cue handle back off the plod (Forensics).

Another good item is a certain electrical emmiting device, so i'm told, it can disable a victim for several minutes which is more than enough to start to remove his finger nails until he coughs his mates names.
Old 23 August 2007, 09:02 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZIPPY
I have been the victim of an armed robbery for my car keys. 4 men 1 gun.

Usual MO drive a 4x4 through the front door charge in mob handed expecting the victim to crumble and hand over the keys, when one of the ohh so scary men foolishly came up the stairs he met me with a snooker cue handle which promptly met him square in the face several times.

He promptly went back down the stairs on his a#se dropping his gun in the process, his ohh so hard 3 mates dragged him out of what was left of my door threw him into the back of the 4x4 pick up and drove off.

Baseball bats are good if you can swing them but you are better off with a Rounders bat/Snooker cue handle, close quarters is where it will get messy.

Never did get my cue handle back off the plod (Forensics).

Another good item is a certain electrical emmiting device, so i'm told, it can disable a victim for several minutes which is more than enough to start to remove his finger nails until he coughs his mates names.
I have to say I'm a bit shocked at that -- both the fact they drove through your front door and had a gun. I obviously just live in a little naively happy world where I don't think such things happen in England. I am not sure that faced with such a thing I wouldn't just hand over the keys.

If you catch someone wandering around your house then I believe that you should be able to use maximum force to stop them.

Steve
Old 23 August 2007, 09:17 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by Sonic'

Nah mate round here theyre all teenagers and smackheads. The only weapon they have is saliva and maybe a used needle.

Granted it's a risk challenging them but on the odd false alarm I have encountered, I have gone downstairs totally naked (that's enough to scare anyone ) armed with a short weights bar with no weights on either end(dumbell - me, not the bar )...
Old 23 August 2007, 09:33 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

120dB alarm and 4 cell maglite.
Old 23 August 2007, 09:40 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

The phone.

If someone is in your house, call 999.

I'm reasonably confident I could protect myself, but I'm not bullet or knife proof.

The vast majority of people aren't hard nuts. Bear in mind also, you have just woken up, yet the burglar is wide awake and has masses of adrenalin running through them. They are quite probably tooled up themselves.
Old 23 August 2007, 09:55 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

They on average allow themselves 2-3 minutes from entry to exit to get what they want, thats presuming they have entered in a hurry to create maximum scare effect, as already mentioned you are asleep they are pumped up.

What i did was foolish, my wife and daughter where also upstairs and it wasnt until 8pm the same evening until it hit me they had a gun and wanted a car that could be traced very easily and i fought back.

Not the most sensible thing to do but hey i had my car and i knew the f#cker i tw#tted would wake up knowing he took a weapon to the face.

Believe me you dont think at all (not sensibly anyway) fight or flight instinct kicks in and off you go, i can see how people can easily kill an intruder,only for me cutting my feet to bits on broken glass at the bottom of the stairs i would have seriously gone to work on the one i took out.
Old 23 August 2007, 10:02 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Power fire extinguisher. Good reason to have one to hand and incredibly effective, wide area of coverage and will blind the other guy for quite some time at which point you can clonk him over the head with the empty canister
Old 23 August 2007, 10:08 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

A dog - not a scary one but she's got a good deep bark and is very well trained.
I thought I heard someone the other day (our house is very hard to find and completely enclosed by woods and scrub - only one way in, that's up a very steep drive) when she barked.
Took her out with a sturdy maglite (left off - I'd rather suprise an intruder and turn it on if/when needed) and searched the "perimeter" - think it must have been a badger.

Most weapons are useless - It's SO easy to disarm someone - in fact if somone ran at me with a baseball bat, I'd have a little chuckle to myself before taking it off them, throwing it on the floor and punishing them for their mistake.

Years and years martial arts (and ahem, streetfighting) experience help confidence but the heart still thumps like crazy when I think someone is around - so far it's only been wildlife.

Feel sorry for some of you with major security issues - I'd never sleep!

Quick Reply: Best item to keep to protect ones home from intruders...