Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

CANCELLING DIRECT DEBITS

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2007, 08:51 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face CANCELLING DIRECT DEBITS

My wife was a member of a gym which she was not really using, so I advised her to cancel. You know what women are like - I ended up cancelling it myself by means of a letter to the gym on my wifes behalf. She was going to cancel the direct debit with the bank.

Months later, my wife said to be that the direct debit was still coming off even although she had cancelled with the bank (so she says.) Now we have ensured the direct debit is cancelled however the gym effectively owe us c.£350.

Where do we stand? I have written and spoken to the manager who has agred to pay us back 50% of the amount.

f00KIN WOMEN - EH!!!!
Old 08 August 2007, 08:56 PM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

sounds to me like you should get your money back,
but is it worth the hassle of getting a solicitor involved.maybe a letter to the gym kinda threatening to get a solicitor involved might be worth a try.
Old 08 August 2007, 09:19 PM
Big_Papa_T
Scooby Regular

If the wife cancelled the direct debit with the bank then surely there is no way that the money could come out your account. If it was cancelled then you should probably take it up with your bank.

Either that or your missus is telling you porkies.
Old 08 August 2007, 10:03 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta agree with Big Papa T whenever i've cancelled a direct debit with the bank that's the end of it.
Old 08 August 2007, 10:03 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stephen Pope
My wife was a member of a gym which she was not really using, so I advised her to cancel. You know what women are like - I ended up cancelling it myself by means of a letter to the gym on my wifes behalf. She was going to cancel the direct debit with the bank.

Months later, my wife said to be that the direct debit was still coming off even although she had cancelled with the bank (so she says.) Now we have ensured the direct debit is cancelled however the gym effectively owe us c.£350.

Where do we stand? I have written and spoken to the manager who has agred to pay us back 50% of the amount.

f00KIN WOMEN - EH!!!!

Direct Debit guarantee; you claim it back. They have 48 hours (I think, probably working hours) to deposit the money in your account.
Old 08 August 2007, 10:24 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

last time i cancelled a direct debit i went into the bank and asked for it to be cancelled and that was it, job done.
i was then contacted by the company whose direct debit i had wrongly cancelled.
the direct debit is you giving permission to the bank to release funds from your account when the monthly 'request' (direct debit) is made.
sonn as you withdraw permission they can only ask for it i think?!?!?
was explained to me with lots of banking terminology
Old 08 August 2007, 11:04 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

I do most of my banking online,that way i know i've done it correctly and wait a few days before putting it in writing to the company - don't always write if i'm trueful.

I can't see the bank owning up to this even if they had made a mistake,it's still up to the account holder to notice any irregularities.

Last edited by renny; 08 August 2007 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08 August 2007, 11:38 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

You were correct. To cancel a Direct Debit you must contact the Company, not the bank. The Gym owes you this money but they could argue you did not go through the correct procedure. I would accept and cut your losses
Old 09 August 2007, 08:34 AM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 84of300
You were correct. To cancel a Direct Debit you must contact the Company, not the bank.
Absolute rubbish.

When a DD mandate is cancelled with the bank you are removing your permission to realse funds to that originator. They can still ask for the funds but the bank will return the request unpaid. If the bank still pay out they are liable. Proving it is where it gets tricky.

I could cancel my motgage DD today and there would be nothing they could do about it (except repossess my house )

To keep yourself right you should really advise both the bank and the originator.
Old 09 August 2007, 08:41 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

I was in a similar situation with a gym. I signed up, but decided to cancel about 6 months in as it was full of old woman and snotty instructors. Talking to the manager of the gym, I was told thatI had to give 3 months notice, etc etc.

Bolloxs to that, I rang my bank and cancelled the DD, problem sorted. I then had the gym after me, telling me that I had negated our contract, owed them, money. I went in and confronted the manager, bull****ted that I had hand written a note, with my resignation, and passed it on to a receptionist, so its their fault if they havent got it.

I then told them to take me to court, but never heard back.

Like the guys state, once you have informed the bank to cancel ur direct debit, your infact stopping any more money from leaving your account. Sounds like either your wife never did it, or the person she spoke to didnt do as they were asked. I would opt for the latter, and ring the bank complaining, see if they can claw the money back.

SBK
Old 09 August 2007, 08:46 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Read up on the Direct Debit Guarantee
Old 09 August 2007, 08:49 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Playsatan
Absolute rubbish.

When a DD mandate is cancelled with the bank you are removing your permission to realse funds to that originator. They can still ask for the funds but the bank will return the request unpaid. If the bank still pay out they are liable. Proving it is where it gets tricky.

I could cancel my motgage DD today and there would be nothing they could do about it (except repossess my house )

To keep yourself right you should really advise both the bank and the originator.

Google is a mine of information
Old 09 August 2007, 09:06 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Indeed it is, however the internet is full of mis-information

Bottom line, If you cancel the direct debit with the bank, you are cancelling your authority for the bank to release the funds following the request from the payee.

You should also notify the payee that the direct debit mandate has been cancelled and you are withdrawing your authority.

However, the bank should not have allowed the payments to be taken if the mandate had been cancelled and are at fault if they have.
Old 09 August 2007, 09:07 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

If your wife cancelled the bank owe you the money.

If not then the best you can do is accept the gym's very generous offer.
Old 09 August 2007, 09:26 AM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rubbish in = rubbish out though mate.

Having worked in the financial industry for over 17 years (banks mainly) I don't need to copy and paste my comments. If it works for you however.............
Old 09 August 2007, 10:39 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

I don't suppose any of these less than ethical gyms were called 'Fitness First'?

The fitness industry is a complete con but some companies are a lot worse than others.
Old 09 August 2007, 10:46 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NACRO
I don't suppose any of these less than ethical gyms were called 'Fitness First'?

The fitness industry is a complete con but some companies are a lot worse than others.
Why's that? Are they racist?

Old 09 August 2007, 11:16 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

I don't believe so but certain well known fitness chains are renowned for continuing to remove money from customers who've followed cancellation procedures to the letter.