Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Have Your Say .......

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2007, 07:28 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Have Your Say .......

... about Dental Treatment - put your views forward and lets sort out the Dental mess!!

dental
Old 08 August 2007, 07:41 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Private Health Insurance - BUPA UK - Medical Care Information

People insure their cars, houses, pets.. but not themselves. Utter stupidity.

(IMHO).
Old 08 August 2007, 07:43 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Pete - you might have been better posting this under one of your other aliases. I can't help thinking that someone is going to ask which year it was that your hero promised that everyone would have access to an NHS dentist by.

Anyway, survery completed.
Old 08 August 2007, 07:48 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
Try Private Health Insurance - BUPA UK - Medical Care Information

People insure their cars, houses, pets.. but not themselves. Utter stupidity.

(IMHO).

Yeah, riiiiiight - I pay enough into the NHS (my Insurance for my health) every month .... I want reasonable priced Dental Care!

I was offered DenPlan at £25 a month ...... £300 a year (that does NOT include lab fees either!!!! ) - DenPlan are there to get in from you more than they need to pay out (ie. it's cheaper to pay-as-you-go).

The cheapest way is to use the Emergency Dentist at the weekends - it's about £9 to get sorted The queues are a pain, but get there early and you will be dealt with ......
Old 08 August 2007, 08:22 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Yeah, riiiiiight - I pay enough into the NHS (my Insurance for my health) every month .... I want reasonable priced Dental Care!
I agree totally - which is why I think the NHS should be scrapped; as all that has been proven over the last 20 years is that the Government (and I mean all colours of Government) are incapable of running a public healthcare service.

Of course that is in an ideal world where the government would mirror the removal of the financial black hole that is the NHS to my tax bill every year - thats not likely to happen whoever gets in.

I still pay for Bupa cover even though I'm in the forces and get 'free' priority NHS treatment - If Military Hospitals still exsisted (another genius political decision by both the tories and labour) I probably wouldn't feel the need, but don't fancy getting abused by ethnic minorities if I ever had to be admitted for treatment so...

Last edited by Prasius; 08 August 2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08 August 2007, 08:28 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Its just the UK gov that cannot run a health service. Other European countries manage to do it.
Old 08 August 2007, 11:35 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

And the best ones (like Germany) use a combination of public and private money. The ideal of the NHS is very commendable but I think all we're proving is that it has become unworkable. I'm lucky enough to have an extremley generous private health and dental care through work - I consider it one of the best benefits you can have. Some of my local NHS hospitals do not inspire a great deal of confidence.
Old 08 August 2007, 11:55 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

What Dental mess
I go every 6 months for a check up and he is brilliant
Old 08 August 2007, 11:56 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

On the NHS??
Old 08 August 2007, 11:59 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

On the NHS??

Yes
No problems here

Hello Pete
Old 09 August 2007, 12:14 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300
Yes
No problems here

Hello Pete
Hiya ..... well, you are lucky!!
Old 09 August 2007, 08:49 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by douglasb
Pete - you might have been better posting this under one of your other aliases. I can't help thinking that someone is going to ask which year it was that your hero promised that everyone would have access to an NHS dentist by.
details..

In September 1999 the Prime Minister pledged that within two years everyone would have an NHS dentist no matter where they lived. Eight years later, less than half of the adult population is registered.
still blind hero worship is good
Old 09 August 2007, 08:57 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Westfield for the day to day stuff, BUPA for anything major, what's the problem?
Old 09 August 2007, 09:11 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300
What Dental mess
I go every 6 months for a check up and he is brilliant
Ditto.
Old 09 August 2007, 09:38 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

....... Labour are there to get in from you more than they need to pay out (ie. it's cheaper to pay-as-you-go).

edited for correctness
Old 09 August 2007, 09:39 AM
Gymbal
Scooby Regular

Just as a matter of interest what is wrong with the NHS? Really, rather than media/governmet hype? Free at the point of useage, from cradle to grave, 24 hour cover, true we cant have everything we want, but unless we all drive Veyrons what do we expect? To say such and such a country is better..... blah blah blah. If you want private cover feel free to choose. Does anyone have cost per head comparisons with other countries. If I remeber Kaiser permanente are a bloody disaster in the US but Tone wanted them over (t)here.

Sorry to hijack dental thread
Old 09 August 2007, 12:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

This may have started as a dental thread but the NHS has to be involved so it is fair to mention it.

The NHS was started by Attlee's government just after the war and was instituted by good politicians who wanted to do their best for the people of this country. They succeeded very well in my opinion and we had a health service which was the envy of the rest of the world. It was an expensive service to provide of course but they did well at the outset.

The problem now is that so much of our taxes are being wasted on totally wrong purposes and also a vast bureaurocracy has been built up which itself is unbelievably expensive and does not do anything much good except to set targets and monitor them but don't actually do anything constructive with the results. This of course is a way to tell the workforce that they are not trusted to do their jobs!

I personally have a great deal to thank the NHS for with the major operations I have had and also the outstanding way I was looked after by the people at the sharp end who do so much work for the sake of the patients and in spite of the prats in charge.

When it comes to dentistry, there is no NHS available down here anymore unless you are a child. If you want to look after your teeth which is essential to general bodily health anyway, you are forced to use the Denplan at very high cost. So much for the promises of the lying self centred piker who used to run this country!

We are lucky to have an NHS but it is unfortunate to have those self seeking beaurocrats in charge of it wasting the money which should go to the people actually doing the work!

Les