Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Private number plate question - removing

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2007, 11:18 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Private number plate question - removing

I understand I have a form that requires completion to remove and retain a number plate.

What I need to know is - does the car have the original one given back to it?

The retention fee is £25. Assignment fee is £80 but I'm not assigning it to a car yet as I haven't got the new car yet - haven't even sold the current one but buyers keep asking about it being removed.

Thanks
Old 11 July 2007, 11:30 AM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you still have to pay the assigning fee up front mate! the old plate goes back on the car unless the dvla has sold it!
Old 11 July 2007, 11:36 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

You put your plate on retention. It takes the DVLA £105 and 7 working days to do this. They'll send out a new V5 to you for your car with it's original plate on and your personal plate goes "into limbo"...
Once you have the new V5 you can put the "original" plates on your car...

I am about to pick up my new car which (due to only having half the V5 for it) will have it's original plate on for now. When I get the full V5 for my new car, back to Manchester I go to complete the transfer...

Nice.
Old 11 July 2007, 11:39 AM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

and the Q's at manchester dvla are normally terrible! lol,
Old 11 July 2007, 12:38 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Go to the dvla office
Take MOT cert, V5, and tax disc and £105. You pay the assignment fee up front regardless of whether you are keeping on certificate for a while or not.

They will stamp MOT with new reg, issue you a new tax disc, and take the V5 from you.
They give you a receipt as proof, and they then tell you can then change the plates over there and then and to do it as soon as possible.
The new V5 with the new reg on will arrive in about a week.

They will issue you the registration that was on the car before you put the private plate on(providing it wasnt something valuable which has been sold- not that common)

Dont do the whole thing by post- takes ages. A small line at the local DVLA office is a small price to pay to avoid your documents going missing in the post and it taking a month.
Old 11 July 2007, 01:36 PM
mexico2
Scooby Newbie

Are the windows etched with the original registration number? Usually if you request the original number because they are , they will oblige.

Link removed
If you wish to advertise commercially on Scoobynet please contact
webmaster@scoobynet.co.uk or
shaun@scoobynet.co.uk to discuss Banner Ads or Scoobyshop

Last edited by Dyney; 19 August 2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11 July 2007, 08:27 PM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak
Go to the dvla office
Take MOT cert, V5, and tax disc and £105. You pay the assignment fee up front regardless of whether you are keeping on certificate for a while or not.

They will stamp MOT with new reg, issue you a new tax disc, and take the V5 from you.
They give you a receipt as proof, and they then tell you can then change the plates over there and then and to do it as soon as possible.

They will issue you the registration that was on the car before you put the private plate on(providing it wasnt something valuable which has been sold- not that common)

Dont do the whole thing by post- takes ages. A small line at the local DVLA office is a small price to pay to avoid your documents going missing in the post and it taking a month.

I'm not sure how accurate that info is..............I was told I couldn't take my documents to the DVLA in person and had to post them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Freak.
Old 11 July 2007, 08:43 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaydee5
I'm not sure how accurate that info is..............I was told I couldn't take my documents to the DVLA in person and had to post them.

Done it myself to Worcester DVLA office numerous times, and also for my mothers and fathers plates too, exactly as i described above.
Old 11 July 2007, 09:15 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ive just swapped my Mrs plate over to her new car, and due to the new way MOT certs are done, mine was taken off me along with the V5 and sent to DVLA Swansea to be reprinted.
I was told to keep the tax disc in until i recieved a the new one in the post along with my new MOT cert, i was told could take upto 10 days, took em nearly 4 weeks the fookin lazy idle gits once this has been done they then start on the 2nd part which is to change the details on the log book. but if your putting it on retension then this may well arrive with your new MOT/Tax
Old 11 July 2007, 10:57 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I sent mine off nearly 5 weeks ago, to the local DVLA office, to go on retention. We contacted them after two weeks and were told it was being processed that day- a week later they sent the papers back saying I'd sent them the wrong fee- £80 rather than £105. doh. Sent it back Special Delivery the same day- two weeks ago- still nothing.

A real PITA as I'm guessing I lost my buyer due to the ridiculous delay.
Old 11 July 2007, 11:23 PM
Smiler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak
Go to the dvla office

They took 5 weeks to post out my V5. In this time you can get stung if you sell the car on, all the buyer has to do is apply for a new V5 and they get your plate as technically it's still registered to the car.
Old 12 July 2007, 08:14 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by Smiler
They took 5 weeks to post out my V5. In this time you can get stung if you sell the car on, all the buyer has to do is apply for a new V5 and they get your plate as technically it's still registered to the car.
Hmm scary but then I guess if that happened, the buyer would have to have have somewhere they could stay while the charred remains of their house were analysed by the fire investigation team

Seriously, I believe that my request as owner for retention was done on day one, anyone applying for my plate and getting it would be as a result of DVLA process inefficiency. I was promised by woman through perspex that it would be retained within 7 working days... Today being day 5 and the first day my old car isnt mine... So if my car was sold today and the buyer went to Manchesters DVLA office and asked for a V5 for my old beast, that too would take 7 days to process, so in the meantime, my plate has gone into limbo and the DVLA will have been erroneous and the process would error

Nothing to fear here
Old 12 July 2007, 10:45 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

They will do it same day, but will not do it on the spot....you will have a long wait, and they won't do it the same day if you come in the afternoon.

You can bring it in first thing in the morning, and it should be ready to pick up by lunch time (if your lucky). Otherwise you can collect it another day or they can post it to you which takes about 5 working days.

Alternatively just post the whole lot off and wait, and wait....took 2 weeks for my one car...took 4weeks for the other
Old 12 July 2007, 11:01 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I've got a serious buyer for my car. He has said if he buys the car, he will re-register the original plate and then send back the details of my plate.

Problem here is he could well just keep my plate and sell it whenever he likes - even more likely to keep it if he then decides he's found something wrong with the car (unlikely as its a sound car) and keeps the plate as my involuntary payment.
Old 12 July 2007, 11:58 PM
mexico2
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by EddScott
I've got a serious buyer for my car. He has said if he buys the car, he will re-register the original plate and then send back the details of my plate.

Problem here is he could well just keep my plate and sell it whenever he likes - even more likely to keep it if he then decides he's found something wrong with the car (unlikely as its a sound car) and keeps the plate as my involuntary payment.
At the present moment only the registered keeper can apply to retain a registration number and he/she becomes the " Grantee " on the retention document ,the grantee cannot be changed afterwards.The grantee can add a "nominee" but he/she retains control of the registration number until it is assigned to a car.So the very best that will happen is that the buyer will become "Grantee" and you will be " nominee" , worst is you lose the registration number. Make him wait until you've removed the number .

Link removed
If you wish to advertise commercially on Scoobynet please contact
webmaster@scoobynet.co.uk or
shaun@scoobynet.co.uk to discuss Banner Ads or Scoobyshop

Old 13 July 2007, 08:02 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mexico2
At the present moment only the registered keeper can apply to retain a registration number and he/she becomes the " Grantee " on the retention document ,the grantee cannot be changed afterwards.The grantee can add a "nominee" but he/she retains control of the registration number until it is assigned to a car.So the very best that will happen is that the buyer will become "Grantee" and you will be " nominee" , worst is you lose the registration number. Make him wait until you've removed the number .

This man knows his onions... Good advice