Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

O2 XDA Orbit Mobile Phone

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2007, 10:04 PM
Charlie_Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 XDA Orbit Mobile Phone

Just wondering if anyone has got one of these and how well the phone and GPS is.

Any other opinions on this phone is appreciated.
Old 09 July 2007, 10:22 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

We currently have about 50 or so, slowly replacing our XDA2's.

We don't use the inbuilt GPS app but for our purposes we find that the GPS is more reliable than GPS over BT.

Screen is a bit smaller for our app but I've not heard complaints from the customer. Takes a bit of getting used to and I don't think you want to have dodgy eyesight.

Battery life is OK although I know that 10 hours constant GPRS pushes the limits and we are awaiting a hi-capacity battery.

We don't use the phone - interferes with GPRS and positional info.
Old 09 July 2007, 10:40 PM
Charlie_Boy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Puff, how well does the Windows Mobile OS run?
Old 09 July 2007, 10:44 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Have a look at the HP iPAQ hw6915 as well - just got one and it's very tasty. GPS is much better than my old 1914 with bluetooth GPS doodah. Wifi works well.
Old 09 July 2007, 10:52 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Charlie_Boy

It works

TBH we don't use the "features" as we have our own program that users must use.

However, in general reliability has been good so far and users have not reported anything that's causing us headaches, so we're pleased.
Old 10 July 2007, 08:58 AM
Charlie_Boy
Scooby Regular

Are mobile shops able to demo these types of phones rather than just being able to look at dummy phones on the shelf. I'd really like to have a try of this first.
Old 10 July 2007, 09:05 AM
Britishdaddy
Scooby Regular

i have the xda 2 and i have had so many problems with the os it crashes it goes on the net when you havent even turned it on and costs a fortune i have had it 6 months and it has been changed for times my friend said the orbit has great sat nav but all the same problems i would go for the nokia n95 as it doesn't seem to have these problems the sat nav is not as good but great phone
Old 10 July 2007, 11:18 AM
Donkster
Scooby Regular

Wink

Are mobile shops able to demo these types of phones rather than just being able to look at dummy phones on the shelf. I'd really like to have a try of this first.
I bought mine from an O2 shop about 5 months ago ONLY after I had tested it out. Just ask them for a demo one to play with.

I've had no problems with mine what so ever. Use the built in GPS for tomtom and memory map (ordance survey mapping) when walking. Syncs with M$ Outlook and I've got quite a few applications installed on it. Got a 2GB card in mine.

Overall, I strongly recommend it.
Old 10 July 2007, 03:01 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

I've had one for about 4 months and love it. No problems whatsoever and don't feel it's costing me the earth - #40 per month which includes 800 texts and 1000 minutes to any network, plus a bunch of free internet time. Took me a while to get the hang of typing on it, but that's all.

Free satnav is fabulous too - job involves lots of driving around, so very handy!

Bubblebreaker awesome too!
Old 10 July 2007, 06:41 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

I've had mine for a few months and am really impressed with it.

I have had no problems at all with mine. It takes a week or two to get used to menu's but really is a great bit of kit.

The wifi works very well and is simple to setup and access internet/outlook. The phone side of things hangs onto signals very well compared to my works mobile which is also on the O2 network. Battery life is surprising good and has got better after a few weeks of charge/recharge cycles.

The satnav is extremely good and far exceeds what I expected. I was using a TomTom One and have found the Copilot-6 to be very nearly as good. The Copilot maps are more up to date than my TomTom and have alot of the new road in my area that TomTom does not list. The XDA recalculates routes really quickly if you take a wrong turn and up to now, its never lost its GPS lock.
I got the Copilot pack (software, cradle and car charger lead) free on a 12month £35 per month tariff from an O2 shop.
Using the car charger when using the Sat Nav makes the screen alot brighter and easy to see.

If you have large hands like me and find texting on normal mobile tricky due to 'fat finger syndrome' you may find using the stylus and touch screen a god-send like me. I've never been able to text so quick, as I do with the XDA Orbit.

I'd highly recommend an XDA Orbit to anyone.
Old 10 July 2007, 07:03 PM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

htc kaiser due soon - t-mobile mda vario iii and prob on o2 network...
Old 10 July 2007, 07:43 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

isnt the HTC touch supposed to be a good phone with better windows mobile and a more user friendly phone . very tempted to buy one myself but im hanging on for the sony erricsson P1i
Old 11 July 2007, 03:32 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

But isn't it always the case that you could hang on for the next "great bit of kit"? That way you'll never buy anything - at some point you just have to go for it!
Old 11 July 2007, 03:47 PM
Charlie_Boy
Scooby Regular

managed to have a look yesterday, but the sales guy kept taking it back off my hands so couldn't get a decent look at this. Looks very smart and is not too heavy/bulky. Just waiting a couple of weeks now until my current contract expires and then taking the plunge, agree with Drunken bungle ***** - you just have to take the plunge at some point.
Old 12 July 2007, 09:54 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Actually one quick question for the Xda owners. I'm trying to get it to recognise my blootooth headset (an O2 one that came free with my 6230i). I've followed all the steps in the booklet but it just won't recognise it. (Even having it switched on, waving it in front of the Xda and shouting "look, it's there, why the hell can't you see it?!" didn't work - surprisingly....)

The headset is an earlier version of this one.

Does it mean a headset upgrade is in order - OR - as it's only for use when I'm driving, would an in car kit be a better option? Any recommendations/ suggestions would be very welcome!

Cheers!
Old 12 July 2007, 10:29 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gone over to having a BT car radio that can act as hands free. The quality of calls is excellent.
No idea of cost as it was fitted to the Spec D (Pioneer DEH P70BT)

I can now rest assured that I won't be turned into a cyberman.

nick
Old 12 July 2007, 10:43 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle *****
Actually one quick question for the Xda owners. I'm trying to get it to recognise my blootooth headset (an O2 one that came free with my 6230i). I've followed all the steps in the booklet but it just won't recognise it. (Even having it switched on, waving it in front of the Xda and shouting "look, it's there, why the hell can't you see it?!" didn't work - surprisingly....)

The headset is an earlier version of this one.

Does it mean a headset upgrade is in order - OR - as it's only for use when I'm driving, would an in car kit be a better option? Any recommendations/ suggestions would be very welcome!

Cheers!

Just asking the obvious but just having it "turned on" won't do diddly - it needs to be in the "ready to receive advances from lusty suitors" mode...
Old 12 July 2007, 10:53 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Just asking the obvious but just having it "turned on" won't do diddly - it needs to be in the "ready to receive advances from lusty suitors" mode...
Bluetooth headset switched on and Xda orbit in full ***** mode - it has been sent forth to find lusty suiters and came back empty handed.....

I needed to sneakily bluetooth something whilst I was in the office once - at the time I worked in an office where mobile phones were strictly banned. I sent it forth to sneakily find my local bluetooth device and it came back with about 12 phones on and bluetoothing merrily!
Old 12 July 2007, 12:36 PM
ChrisB

Have you put the Headset into "pairing" mode? On my Plantronics, I have to hold down a couple of buttons to do this and thus let a phone see it to pair.
Old 12 July 2007, 03:38 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Have you put the Headset into "pairing" mode? On my Plantronics, I have to hold down a couple of buttons to do this and thus let a phone see it to pair.
Hmmmmm - would help if I knew where the book was that came with the headset. Will try various combinations of buttons and see what happens. If I make conact with beings from outer space, I'll be sure to let you know!

Thanks!