Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What does everyone think about the i-phone?

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2007, 09:37 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does everyone think about the i-phone?

A guided tour

Apple - iPhone - A Guided Tour

It came out last night in New York.

BBC NEWS | Technology

Watching the demo there are some really good features,the keypad is virtually done away with.
Old 01 July 2007, 09:41 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

I think it costs £1500!
Old 01 July 2007, 09:43 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I want one, but then I'm an Apple fan-boy.
Old 01 July 2007, 09:49 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Wont be usable in the UK

Good old apple made it so propriatry, (sp) it's a potential white elephant

It doesn't use sim cards, so its a network providers dream.

unlocking them wont make one bit of difference....

how long before the other network providers follow suit with there own sim free phones?

Mart
Old 01 July 2007, 10:17 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I understand the UK version is due out soon, and it's 3G (which the US model isn't).

Not sure what Apple were thinking when they decided to make both the SIM and the battery built-in, though. Didn't they learn about the whole battery thing with the iPod?
Old 01 July 2007, 10:17 AM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

All show and no go... it isn't even 3G.
Old 01 July 2007, 10:25 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

My money says it'll have a sim and 3g for the UK launch. And who cares about the battery? I've never changed the battery on any of my phones, and my iPod still works just fine as well.
Old 01 July 2007, 10:46 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Completely uninterested in the iPhone.

Quite happy with a SE W880i. Already does more than I want a phone to do.
Old 01 July 2007, 11:25 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If it's as reliable as most Apple stuff, it'll sell well, then go back in numbers

Alcazar

PS: what makes me cross is that the MEDIA are already doing their advertising FOR them
Old 01 July 2007, 11:28 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
I think it costs £1500!

$500 and $600 depending on which model you get.
Old 01 July 2007, 11:28 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Completely uninterested in the iPhone.

Quite happy without a mobile phone.
Old 01 July 2007, 11:33 AM
gillyz20let
Scooby Regular

all the experiences ive had with apple have been bad so its gonna be cack.
Old 01 July 2007, 11:51 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

it wil be in the UK by xmas so lets see who uis going to get the contract to sell them and if it will be a 2 year deal as well ?? i think Vodafone will get it and i will be happy to have an Iphone from them
Old 01 July 2007, 11:54 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Awesome product, can't wait to get one!
Old 01 July 2007, 11:59 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
Wont be usable in the UK

how long before the other network providers follow suit with there own sim free phones?

Mart
It's definitely got a sim card, don't know where you heard that from.

MacNN | First iPhone disassembly [all photos]

Last edited by KiwiGTI; 01 July 2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01 July 2007, 12:01 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
If it's as reliable as most Apple stuff, it'll sell well, then go back in numbers

Alcazar

PS: what makes me cross is that the MEDIA are already doing their advertising FOR them
This is interesting and true. Didn't see the news sites go on about the latest nokia or sony ericcson realeases.

As for how good it is, wait 'till the MK2 which the UK will get. I suspect it will be a somewhat different product. As with all computer products, the MK2 version has the bugs removed, proper features made to work right etc.
Old 01 July 2007, 02:34 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Although I'm an Apple fanboy, my interest in phones ends with calls and texts. I'm too busy to mess with anything else whilst out on the move, and at $5-600 plus another $60 a month (and you know that will be £5-600 and £60/m when it gets here ) my 5yo SE P800 that I bought for a tenner and does my required calls and texts as well as syncs with my Mac for calendar and contacts will be adequate methinks. I put about £10 a month in as PAYG so I don't think I'll fit their demographic anyway.

As for reliability, my G3 PB is still running after 8 years and has never been near an engineer, although the 3rd party LG DVD drive currently has a split internal ribbon cable. 15x 8-10yo PowerMacs at work running brilliantly with no maintenance, but the Dell Poweredge system running our Oracle based workflow requires 24/7 global support The 200 or so office PC's doing basic databasing and office tasks have a lifespan IRO 3 years, and crash frequently.
Old 01 July 2007, 02:36 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Already out of date.
Old 01 July 2007, 04:54 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
It's definitely got a sim card, don't know where you heard that from.

MacNN | First iPhone disassembly [all photos]
If i can find the MSN article i'll post the link..... it was there this morning

Mart
Old 01 July 2007, 06:36 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Wont be usable in the UK

Not completely, it uses a full version of Safari (which has now been released for Windows also) so developers can create desktop widgets (using javascript and html) that run on top of OS X or in Safari. In fact some OS X widgets have sold by the bucket load (the poker one for certain) just because you can run them straight on the iphone.
Old 01 July 2007, 06:59 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

The version of Safari on the iPhone will allow you to run any Web 2.0 application. So basically the possibilities are endless, it's just that you will need to be connected to the internet to run them.

In addition the lack of 3G is not such a handicap, in many countries free public WiFi is pervasive and that is the way it seems to be going.
Old 01 July 2007, 11:06 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

what makes me laugh with these kind of threads is when ppl get the wrong end of the stick and just listen to the hype without really taking onboard the details...

The US market is different to the UK/European market and always will be,both in terms of carriers and subsidising handset model infrastructure.
Apple,whilst vainly trying to apply the same US business model to the european market, are astute enough to realise that it just dosnet work the same here and hence they will use the initial launch of the iphone in the US to rate the way it sells and to use that time to both adapt and hone their launch in the UK. Also it goes to say they will also use that time to change various technical elements of the iphone for this market, in terms of battery/sim/3G etc.

These days most carriers are trying to lock you into longer contracts anyway, so the advent of 2 year contracts is not far off.So it wont be such a big deal if the iphone comes with this as well.

I,personally,whilst a big mac fan, will still be circumspect about being an early adopter if the whole package is not tuned for my personal tastes in terms of speed,cost and carrier lock down.

My advice is like with most new technology , wait and see
Old 01 July 2007, 11:47 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Wont be usable in the UK

Mart
I call BS on the "It doesn't use sim cards" comment. It DOES use SIM cards. It is currently locked to AT&T so swapping the SIM won't help much, however there are no doubt enterprising people out there trying to unlock it. Partly so you can use it with other carriers, partly because you cannot even use the iPod features, and possible more, without activating it first, and that means signing up for a contract with AT&T

Want proof about the SIM Card? How about this:

There is also this official Apple document that details how to remove the SIM card prior to iPhone repair.

Perhaps MSN having something to do with Microsoft might be why their facts are not correct

Last edited by Markus; 01 July 2007 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02 July 2007, 12:24 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I think the reason for the big media coverage is because this is a new area for Apple, as the iPod was when it was released. Will it take off as the iPod did or will it fail in light of the very competitive mobile phone market?

When it comes to Canada I may consider getting one, it depends mainly on the price of the device, and I doubt any free upgrades on contracts will allow you to get an iPhone for much less than the RRP.

It also depends on the price plans. 2 years does not bother me too much, I think my current contract is 2 or 3 years. I don't change phones that often, as my main use, shockingly is calling people, however, being a Mac fanboy, having an iPhone does appeal. However the price plan has to be good. If it's similar to the AT&T one, in otherwords unlimited data, then I will be tempted. The $30 pcm plan from AT&T would suit me quite happily as I don't make too many calls.

Would I use some of the other features? Quite possibly. There are times when I've been out and about and I've wanted to look something up on the internet and my current phone (SE T637, or something like that) won't cut the mustard, whereas the iPhone would at least allow me to run safari. A classic example was last weekend when out sailing, I was asked a few questions and being able to pull up a website to answer them would have been handy. There's also the geek factor here, when you're out on the water around Toronto Island it's very cool to be sitting there surfing when there is a lull in the wind

Another aspect is the development of applications for the iPhone. I have been known to dabble with creating applications, typically in Applescript, but I've also played with Desktop Widgets, and creating something for the iPhone shouldn't be that much different from widget creation, and that kind of thing appeals to me.

I've already started thinking of a few things I could do, for example, and this can be done if you have anything that can view the web and download files. Let's say you are out and about and want to download, for example, the latest autopatcher update via a torrent. What you could do is surf over to the page on the iPhone, download the torrent file, then connect to your machine via the web, and you go to your upload file page, upload the torrent file from your iPhone, then tell your machine to start your BT client (if it's not already running and scanning a directory for new torrents).
As said, that is something you can do right now, but I'm sure there are other things one could do that would make the iPhone really shine, and who knows I might come up with something.