I-Phone Deal

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2010, 09:36 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I-Phone Deal

Hi All,

This may have been done to death but I couldn't find anything on search. I'm thinking of getting the missus an I-Phone 3GS for her birthday.

Looking at current deals O2 seems the best at £179 for the phone and £30pm 18m contract (100mins calls and unlimited text).

Anyone bought recently and could advise of a better offer - or perhaps a better phone with similar features?

Cheers

blubs
Old 12 April 2010, 09:40 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Apple have set the prices, so you will get the same offer from all the service providers. Thats what I was told, and what I found when looking myself.
Old 12 April 2010, 09:42 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

and a new one is out in june
Old 12 April 2010, 09:53 PM
C_B_B
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
and a new one is out in june
Has the spec been released yet?
Old 12 April 2010, 10:30 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

No specs as yet. It will probably run OS 4 though as I can't see apple kist releasing it for current devices
Old 12 April 2010, 10:43 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/65430...0-3gs-f?page=2
Old 12 April 2010, 11:44 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
No specs as yet. It will probably run OS 4 though as I can't see apple kist releasing it for current devices
Rumours were saying it would be able to multi-task, like the other brand existing phones do. As I say, it's a rumour.
Old 13 April 2010, 12:11 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Worth checking out tesco too as they share the 02 network
moneysaving expert .com do a search

Why not payg will be a lot cheaper if you are a light user I've only used £30 since sept 09
tend to send emails then texts or calls

Great bit of kit iPhone once you have one it transforms your life
Old 13 April 2010, 08:03 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Rumours were saying it would be able to multi-task, like the other brand existing phones do. As I say, it's a rumour.
rumour has it, it will also make phone calls (though you have to be connected by a long piece of string for national calls ) and play music ..wow
Old 13 April 2010, 08:09 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Its not rumours, its fact - all part of iPhone OS 4.0, will also run on current 3GS iPhone and is a free upgrade

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/preview-iphone-os/
Old 13 April 2010, 08:26 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by blubs
Hi All,

This may have been done to death but I couldn't find anything on search. I'm thinking of getting the missus an I-Phone 3GS for her birthday.

Looking at current deals O2 seems the best at £179 for the phone and £30pm 18m contract (100mins calls and unlimited text).

Anyone bought recently and could advise of a better offer - or perhaps a better phone with similar features?

Cheers

blubs
I got this phone free for my daughter, with Vodaphone. £25 per month, unlimited free internet, unlimited texts and 300 minutes. 2 year contract
Old 13 April 2010, 08:28 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
Its not rumours, its fact - all part of iPhone OS 4.0, will also run on current 3GS iPhone and is a free upgrade

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/preview-iphone-os/
me thinks SW is jesting with you
Old 13 April 2010, 11:10 AM
Bealescooby
Scooby Regular

ooooh that update looks good , i cant wait ...........

I had mine last november and it,s changed my life for the better lol

I pay £45 a mth and get 1200mins unlimitted text and internet and got the phone free it is over a 24mth contract but to be honest i dont want any other phone and the updates will keep comin to make it an even better phone

It will also guarantee an arguement with the misses as when u 1st get it , u can't put it down
Old 13 April 2010, 12:09 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

OS4 brings multi-tasking to the 3GS, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, and any new hardware that comes along (iPad will get OS 4.x in late fall), so it's not a hardware specific thing.
Old 13 April 2010, 12:12 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordharding
Great bit of kit iPhone once you have one it transforms your life
Why is it only Iphone users that say this sort of thing? Have they been totally taken in by the marketing spin or something. You don't hear people with phones like the Touch HD2, which is vastly superior to the Iphone, say things like this.
Old 13 April 2010, 12:15 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was thinking of getting my missus one, can you get an Iphone on Three or will I need to migrate her contract across to another provider ?
Old 13 April 2010, 12:40 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Why is it only Iphone users that say this sort of thing? Have they been totally taken in by the marketing spin or something. You don't hear people with phones like the Touch HD2, which is vastly superior to the Iphone, say things like this.
It is an odd thing for people to say about a lump of plastic, wires and glass but for many it evokes quite a strong bond. Put it down to the way Apple market it or wrap the whole package up as an experience, but it certainly does something

Remember years ago in the age of Filofaxes and how attached people got to them. There were even support groups for people who lost them
Seems it has a similar pull for people

Last edited by SwissTony; 13 April 2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 13 April 2010, 12:44 PM
jsh1
Scooby Regular

In what way is the HD2 vastly superior to the iPhone. I have been an HTC fanboy for ages with the last one being a Touch Pro 2. They offer many features that the iPhone does not, and being a power user myself I was concerned that the iPhone might not deliver but it does.

It doesnt crash or lock up like ALL windows mobile phones that I have used and I have to say that there isnt a single feature on an HTC that I cant without.

The iPhone has a rock solid operating system, is very fast in operation (unlike window OS) and does everything that I need or want a phone to do.

I welcome your definition of "vastly superior"

And before you jump down my throat, I am no way an Apple fan boy, I just appreciate it when a product is well thought out and works.

Jason
Old 13 April 2010, 02:36 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Pretty easy to define it, multitasking and flash.

The HD does everything the Ipod does as a "gadget" which, at the end of the day that is all it is, but the Ipod can not cope with a business environment at all.

I know WinMo isn't to everyone's liking, I could of also said Android type phones as well, but my point was, it is only Ipod users that say things like that, you do not hear people with much better phones than the Ipod say "it has changed my life etc"
Old 13 April 2010, 02:57 PM
jsh1
Scooby Regular

Pretty easy to define it, multitasking and flash.

The HD does everything the Ipod does as a "gadget" which, at the end of the day that is all it is, but the Ipod can not cope with a business environment at all.

I know WinMo isn't to everyone's liking, I could of also said Android type phones as well, but my point was, it is only Ipod users that say things like that, you do not hear people with much better phones than the Ipod say "it has changed my life etc"
I appreciate where you are coming from, but my experience is similar in that I cant understand why I didnt make the leap to iPhone sooner.

Multitasking to be fair, is something the iPhone hasnt been able to do, but is coming in OS4. That said, it has NEVER been a problem for me, whatever you are doing pauses its current state for you to come back to it, and I cant say I have ever had cause to have 2 things running at once - if you can give me an example of this, by all means do!

As far as flash is concerned, I am so glad that it doesnt handle it. I hate flash and serves little purpose these days anyway. I think that you will that there has not been flash on WinMo until very recently so a bit of an irrelevant argument. HTML5 seems to be the way to go on this front anyway, which the iPhone supports.

Also given the amount of iPhones that have been sold globally, it seems that Flash is not really a concern for many people.

I dont think the iPhone has changed my life, but certainly made running my business easier and is a joy to use every day

Jason
Old 13 April 2010, 02:58 PM
jsh1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
I got this phone free for my daughter, with Vodaphone. £25 per month, unlimited free internet, unlimited texts and 300 minutes. 2 year contract
Hi Lee, I think you will find its probably the 3G version you have got for your daughter and not the 3G-s
Old 13 April 2010, 03:00 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

I'm with voda fone. free texts, free internet, 600 mins any time/any network. £35 a mth.

think handset cost me £80. 3GS one.

I understand the flaw with android phones is the fact they have so few apps compared to the i phone, ditto android phone apps are very expensive.

also the iphone has been out a while, they've had chance to get them right.
Old 13 April 2010, 03:23 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

The iPhone works well for more people. That's my opinion.

Corporate users will have more choice following the version 4 update later this month, further increasing the market that the iPhone 'works' for.

Flash is dying, even the **** industry has recognised this and provides alternative video formats. Games are the other argument for Flash, obviously mute on the iPhone which has few games available.
Old 13 April 2010, 04:32 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Flash is dying, even the **** industry has recognised this and provides alternative video formats.
Complete nonsense. Flash is actually becoming the defacto standard for streaming video on many of the biggest **** sites on the web.
Old 13 April 2010, 04:37 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austinwrx
I'm with voda fone. free texts, free internet, 600 mins any time/any network. £35 a mth.

think handset cost me £80. 3GS one.

I understand the flaw with android phones is the fact they have so few apps compared to the i phone, ditto android phone apps are very expensive.

also the iphone has been out a while, they've had chance to get them right.

On the same deal here. Very happy thus far apart from a struggling signal sometimes.
Old 13 April 2010, 04:39 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by jsh1
Hi Lee, I think you will find its probably the 3G version you have got for your daughter and not the 3G-s
Nope. The 3G failed twice, so as a gesture of goodwill, they sent her the 3Gs.
It was a hassle, but worth it in the end. She is chuffed to bits with it
Old 13 April 2010, 04:46 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

If Apple do not adopt Flash, then Flash will die. Far too many people have Apple devices that cannot access this kind of content. Not to mention that the type of person who have iphones etc are people who have the cash to access "paid for content services". And developer that ignores that market is going to lose out in a major way to their competition.
Old 13 April 2010, 04:47 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Any*.... cannot seem to get Snet to allow me to edit my own post today
Old 13 April 2010, 04:54 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Complete nonsense. Flash is actually becoming the defacto standard for streaming video on many of the biggest **** sites on the web.
Becoming? If that statement is true then what is the de facto standard? And does it run on the iPhone? Are you sure you want more lemons to suck on?
Old 13 April 2010, 04:57 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I got a 3Gs one yesterday - good bit of kit, won't change my life and the Bluetooth is utter crap.

A few of you say you've got unlimited free internet - I thought the only 'free' items are calls, wi-fi and data?
Thought you had to pay £10 pm more for internet access.

What I'd like to know is when I'm not in a wi-fi area and I send an email, does this come off the monthly allowance or are emails billed separately? (£35 pm, 600 texts, free data & wi-fi on mine).

Last edited by zip106; 13 April 2010 at 05:03 PM.

Quick Reply: I-Phone Deal