Importing a mountain bike from the USA

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2007, 03:21 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing a mountain bike from the USA

Hi there,

I know there are some mountain bikers here on Scoobynet. I wondered if any of you have imported bikes from the States (obviously very tempting with the current exchange rate).

I know there is import duty to be considered, but I can't find a firm figure for what this is. After searching on the internet it seems to be anything from 5% to 14% of the total (including postage), plus VAT.

Does anyone know for certain what percentage is used when you're importing a bike?

Thanks.
Old 13 June 2007, 04:22 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

No idea, but they do have there brake levers the other way round to us so you'll have to swap then over when you get it

That or go flying over the bars every time you grab a handful of what you thought was back brake
Old 13 June 2007, 04:47 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

there's a breakdown of most items somewhere on the Revenue and Customs site. I've used it before for camera kit (which seems quite random)
HM Revenue & Customs: Home Page
Old 13 June 2007, 05:06 PM
obi
Scooby Regular

If you have a few days available...

Obtain a rubbish bike, bike bag and cheap air ticket. Go to America, throw away rubbish bike,buy nice bike,ride it to achieve used look, put bike in bag, fly home.

Count money saved.
Old 13 June 2007, 06:44 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I bought a secondhand [it said so on the receipt] bike in the States. Paid a few quid tax on it whan I got it into the country and it effectively paid for my holiday there Do it in person if you are spending a few quid...
Old 13 June 2007, 07:49 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked into doin this a few years ago. I spoke to customs and excise and they said it was 20% import duty + VAT when it came into the country. It made the bike more expesive than it would of been Retail in the UK
Old 14 June 2007, 08:09 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by obi

Obtain a rubbish bike, bike bag and cheap air ticket. Go to America, throw away rubbish bike,buy nice bike,ride it to achieve used look, put bike in bag, fly home.

Count money saved.
Guy at work did this. Built up his new bike in the hotel room and left all the old cheap bits behind.
Old 14 June 2007, 08:20 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

If you have it sent over in parts, the duty is much lower
Old 14 June 2007, 01:35 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

i looked at a couple of bikes in Collorado a few years ago. The shop offered to give us a receipt saying that had it in for repair, which they reconed helped ge tthrough customs. Not sure though - didn't take the risk
Old 14 June 2007, 02:50 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
If you have it sent over in parts, the duty is much lower
There is no different rate for D&T based on method of transport. What makes the difference is IF its stopped for duties if you send it. Each part will have a value still, and each package will taxable.

But IF you send it and ARE charged duties and taxes, the VAT is charged on the full amount including shipping costs.

It can work out well. best suggestion would be get someone in the States to "return" your s/h property
If its purchased in the UK and just being sent from one country to another it will not get assessed for taxes.
Old 14 June 2007, 03:28 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by obi

Count money saved.
Something like that was in What Mountain Bike.

Two guys went to the US with 2 crappy old bikes in bags. Dumped old bikes, bought new ones, rode them a bit to make them looked used and came home without being stopped.

Other guy I think mailed the frame back to himself and it got caught and he ended up paying more than for the frame in the UK.
Old 14 June 2007, 03:36 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Taking it "used" on the plane is the best way and fine if your travelling to and from the USA, like I am next month lol Lots of shopping to do.

Sending your own property is the other option.
I sent $1800 worth of snowboarding gear over in Jan, cost me £35 lol
Old 14 June 2007, 05:38 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Fly over and bring it back as hold baggage.
Most airlines will let you take a bike or any other sporting equipment in addition to your luggage allowance at no extra cost. You would be very unlikely to get charged this way, unless you are stupid enough to wheel it through customs in its brand new box or with tags on

I you ship it, expect to be raped.
Ballpark figures you should need:
-Price+shipping cost combined.
-10% of that total added on
-then 17.5% of the new total added onto that.
The duty rate does vary (can be up to 20% on some items) but as a general guide the above will do.

Can get cheap economy flights for naff all- almost certain to save some cash. You could even do a turnaround on it (fly out and back on same day) but this doesnt suit some people!
Old 14 June 2007, 06:02 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone for the replies - plenty to think about!

Looks like I could have a short holiday into the bargain!
Old 14 June 2007, 06:09 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

If you can find someone in the States to ship it your laughing
Old 14 June 2007, 10:53 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
There is no different rate for D&T based on method of transport. What makes the difference is IF its stopped for duties if you send it. Each part will have a value still, and each package will taxable.
You misunderstood me. I meant parts as in component parts, rather than different packages. You can still get it sent over in one package, you just build it over here.
Old 14 June 2007, 10:59 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
You misunderstood me. I meant parts as in component parts, rather than different packages. You can still get it sent over in one package, you just build it over here.

I got it by the end of typing my reply lol, just could not be bothered to edit by then lol.

I know what you mean mate, but in reality a complete built bike usually has a lower retail value than a built one, so if they made their own assesment on it, it would appear to be bike parts for resale.
Where as a whole bike can be a single persons possession, and could be sent as their own bike being returned to them, from repair or use in the USA.

I would honestly say, if he knows someone out there to do anything for them, take all the tags etc off it, stick some dirt on it and shove it in a bike bag, and ship it

Out of interest, what bike is it you are after mate ?