Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Lady Di Dying? Channel 4

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2007, 10:07 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Lady Di Dying? Channel 4

Channel 4 are saying that the programme will not show Di dying.

Without being to harsh here should they be show???

The images where all over the internet at the time and will no doubt surface again. We see JF Kennedy doing the double nod regularly, currently images of the Falkalnds War with dying and very badly burned soldiers, carcasses all over the street in Iraq. Are their relatives consulted............I think not!

Perhaps if Harry had gone to the Gulf he may have seen what other are put through !

Flame suit on

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 05 June 2007 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05 June 2007, 10:54 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a problem with it being shown, it's probably in the public interest so that's why it's being shown. If people don't like it or find it offensive then they can always switch over or go outside and play.
Old 05 June 2007, 11:06 AM
Biggsy
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
We see JF Kennedy doing the double nod regularly

Old 05 June 2007, 11:17 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

No I don't think it should be shown, it just demonstrates further, the general moral decline of this country.
Old 05 June 2007, 11:36 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by Paul3446
No I don't think it should be shown, it just demonstrates further, the general moral decline of this country.
Morale decline does not mean that freedom of speech or choice should be compromised. The TV has an Off or Change Channel button.
Old 05 June 2007, 11:39 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Morale decline does not mean that freedom of speech or choice should be compromised. The TV has an Off or Change Channel button.

would you want the footage of your mother dieing, shown on the tv?
Old 05 June 2007, 11:46 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
would you want the footage of your mother dieing, shown on the tv?
There is footage of people dead or dying on the telly all the time, I don't imagine they ask the relatives if it's ok or not.

Do you think Jackie O wants to see JFK getting shot over and over again? They are public figures, it's just the way it is.

I don't see why Di should be given special treatment and not shown. I also don't see the need to show it anyway, who gives a sh*t? The program does not actually show the pictures of Di in the car, nor does it show any video, it's media hype as usual. Good for CH4 though, plenty of people will tune in for sure in the hope of seeing something.

Geezer
Old 05 June 2007, 12:18 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I agree with those who say it is wrong. It is a cynical exrcise to get higher ratings and to make money for the providers of the pictures.

It is quite wrong to show intimate pictures of her demise for gain and for the delectation of those who want to watch such an exhibition.

As was said above it is an indication of the depths of moral depravity into which this country has sunk.

There always was a code of behaviour and this sort of thing is beyond the realms of decency.

Les
Old 05 June 2007, 12:26 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

This is nothing to do with freedom of speech, it is to do with sensitivity and decency. TV has always been regulated, so it is nothing new.

As for the "there's an off button if you don't like it" argument, presumably this means that you think that it is OK to show anything on TV, such as paedophilia for example?
Old 05 June 2007, 01:23 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Channel 4 have rejected Harry's letter to not show the pictures of her
Old 05 June 2007, 01:24 PM
New_scooby_04

This is nothing to do with freedom of speech, it is to do with sensitivity and decency. TV has always been regulated, so it is nothing new.

As for the "there's an off button if you don't like it" argument, presumably this means that you think that it is OK to show anything on TV, such as paedophilia for example?
Not really, as quite apart from it being morally abhorent and physically repulsive, paedophilla is also illegal.

My understanding is that the pictures are being used to examine some of the evidence about the immediate aftermath of the crash, specifically the statements being made about the conduct of the paparazi (sp?) They do not show Diana, nor any other victims of the incident.

It's going to be a contentious and emotive issue and personally I don't see the point in the whole thing- there seems little to be gained from dragging this whole sad affair up again. That said, I'm not about to call for it to be binned for that reason; I understand that it's an important/interesting topic for many.

Ns04
Old 05 June 2007, 01:29 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Not really, as quite apart from it being morally abhorent and physically repulsive, paedophilla is also illegal.

My understanding is that the pictures are being used to examine some of the evidence about the immediate aftermath of the crash, specifically the statements being made about the conduct of the paparazi (sp?) They do not show Diana, nor any other victims of the incident.

It's going to be a contentious and emotive issue and personally I don't see the point in the whole thing- there seems little to be gained from dragging this whole sad affair up again. That said, I'm not about to call for it to be binned for that reason; I understand that it's an important/interesting topic for many.

Ns04
They all say that sir!

Les
Old 05 June 2007, 01:34 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

And showing pictures of someone dying when their family have expressly asked that they don't, isn't morally abhorent?
Old 05 June 2007, 01:45 PM
New_scooby_04

And showing pictures of someone dying when their family have expressly asked that they don't, isn't morally abhorent?
The pictures DO NOT show ANYONE dying!! C4 has been VERY explicit about this!

I wonder how many people would even regard this as an issue if the parties involved were "joe averages"? Of course, that shouldn't make a jot of difference, but I do wonder....

BTW frankly, I personally find it daft that this is even a headline when you consider that the big news is surely that Putin has indicated that were the USA to place components of the star wars programme on EU soil, Russia would re-aim its ICBMs at European targets!

Cold war 2 anyone??

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 05 June 2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05 June 2007, 01:49 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

As stated paedophilia is illegal, therefore no argument and yep it must not be shown.

As I said Channel 4 are not showing the pictures.

The pic's of Di dying have been broadcast all over the mainland of Europe in the past

Al Fayed is continually bringing this subject up and even funds the Daily Snails campaign to keep it in the media (no way his passport is coming soon), so Channel 4's effort is by no means a rating getter.................

We are the morale componant of this country, no doubt there are things you like that I don't, the joy's of democracy. We influence much of society today, if you don't like it then vote for people who do
Old 05 June 2007, 01:59 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Oh there's a suprise....CHANNEL FU**ING 4
Old 05 June 2007, 02:22 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

The pictures DO NOT show ANYONE dying!! C4 has been VERY explicit about this!

I wonder how many people would even regard this as an issue if the parties involved were "joe averages"? Of course, that shouldn't make a jot of difference, but I do wonder....

BTW frankly, I personally find it daft that this is even a headline when you consider that the big news is surely that Putin has indicated that were the USA to place components of the star wars programme on EU soil, Russia would re-aim its ICBMs at European targets!

Cold war 2 anyone??
Or Nimrod aircraft are falling apart, underprotected armoured vehicles and soldiers being injured in Iraq/Afghanistan everyday, unlike Harry
Old 05 June 2007, 02:26 PM
New_scooby_04

Or Nimrod aircraft are falling apart, underprotected armoured vehicles and soldiers being injured in Iraq/Afghanistan everyday, unlike Harry
Indeed!!! There are SO many more important things than the Diana crash, which was 10 years ago and -lets face it- has little real significance for anyone other than those directly affected, i.e. friends and family.

Ns04
Old 05 June 2007, 04:16 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

For all of you who are saying it's morally abhorrent, CH4 should be hung etc. etc., let me ask you, have you seen the assassination of John F kennedy?

If so, please shut up now.

And before you start harping on about how it was 43 years ago, I first saw it less than 10 years after it happened. Please feel free to explain why that is ok, and this is not (even though the program does not show a single image of Diana after the crash).

Geezer
Old 05 June 2007, 04:28 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer

And before you start harping on about how it was 43 years ago, I first saw it less than 10 years after it happened. Please feel free to explain why that is ok, and this is not (even though the program does not show a single image of Diana after the crash).

Geezer
did his family say they never wanted it shown on the tv?
Old 05 June 2007, 04:41 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Who knows, but it's irrelevant, the fact is that is has been shown, and no one has kicked up a fuss. Also, I bet lots of people on this thread who are syaing it's terrible will have willingly watched JFKs head explode, probably on more than one occasion. It's double standards.

Geezer
Old 05 June 2007, 04:46 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
Who knows, but it's irrelevant, the fact is that is has been shown, and no one has kicked up a fuss.
Geezer

maybe nobody kicked up a fuss in this country?

maybe plenty of people kicked up a fuss over the water?
Old 05 June 2007, 04:51 PM
New_scooby_04

They wouldn't have got a chance mate: it was being broadcast live: damage already done in the live footage and countless replays before it was even officially confirmed he was dead!
Old 05 June 2007, 05:05 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Jack Ruby v Lee Harvey Oswald.
American/British Soldiers v EFP's.
Ronald Reagan v Mad Assasinator (forgot his name)

And most of the sh*te on You Tube is uncensored and not with permission of a third party
Old 05 June 2007, 05:20 PM
Spring Heeled Jack
Scooby Regular

Location: was he a creature, an alien, or a man wearing some strange costume and a hidden jumping apparatus

Easy answer is - don't watch it. I know I won't be. I can't think of anything more boring.
Old 05 June 2007, 07:29 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Just let the girl rest in peace for christs sake!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot beleive channel 4 can be so insensitive they have been asked by her youngest son and lets face it if Harry wanted too I'm sure he will take legal action to stop it being shown.
Cheers
Colin
Old 05 June 2007, 07:31 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

They wouldn't have got a chance mate: it was being broadcast live: damage already done in the live footage and countless replays before it was even officially confirmed he was dead!

But the Zapuder (sp?) film wasn't shown live, and that is the definitive 'shot'. It had to be developed, and then sold to/given to broadcasters.

Whether they were asked or not is still irrelevant, it was in the public interest (not necessarily in good taste I agree) and had evidential value in solving the crime.

Even if you discount all that, there are still people who somehow think it's ok to see him die, but not Diana dying. Pure hyprocacy.

Geezer
Old 07 June 2007, 08:27 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Well, quite a good watch. No nasty pic's, quality hype by Channel 4, Al Fayed employee p*ssed as we knew and no seat belts worn, again old news. Much finger pointing and it will all be back in September for the Coroner. Can't wait

Nice to know that the pap's were not to blame. Like everyone the Frog Police jumped the gun, Al Fayeds Press Sec got it totally wrong as did most of the media.

but, still the Box heads and Ities printed last year. Never mind roll on September for more mud slinging.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 07 June 2007 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07 June 2007, 11:26 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

I agree. The programme followed its title "The witnesses in the tunnel" and focussed on the photographers. This was a valid angle to take, and not one that I had seen thoroughly researched previously.

The main lesson is that if you are ever in that situation, get your photographs and get out quick, otherwise you will be in jail for some time. Even though it was shown that the photographers had broken no laws.

Also scary that a UK picture editors house was 'burgled' by men in grey.