Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Job references

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2007, 09:25 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Job references

Has anyone ever applied for a job and the potential new employer asked for work references which were promptly provided and then not be invited to interview.

This has just happened to me. I have always done my job, got on with past employers, never taken the pi$$, given loads of notice to help train up new staff if need be and always left on good terms.

Do you think this is down to a bad reference?..I was under the impression that an out and out bad reference was illegal now. They can refuse to provide one but to actually write a bad one was not permitted.
Old 01 June 2007, 09:30 PM
lucylastic
Scooby Regular

Not sure if it's actually illegal, but I think if you are going to give a bad reference you have to be able to support it, and the individual has a right to ask for a copy if they think it may be unfair...
Old 01 June 2007, 09:39 PM
MY,k436suy
Scooby Regular

From my own past experience (And i've always put "references available upon request" on my c.v.) its just been a phone call from any new employer to the old to confirm all's ok. Never been asked for one on paper.
I'd personally want to see any written one's first though before passing on.
Old 02 June 2007, 12:00 AM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Thanks both.
Old 02 June 2007, 04:03 AM
shep ppp
Scooby Regular

You cannot give a bad reference if requested, but a refusal to supply one would be taken as
Old 02 June 2007, 07:26 AM
swampster
Scooby Regular

It depends on the reference type... quite often these days prospective employers send standard questionnaires, that have all kinds of cleverly worded questions on as well as other stuff about the amount of days sick etc you've had off. It's perfectly acceptable to fill one of these in accurately and truthfully without character assassinating somebody. However the answers to the questions can paint a less than rosy picture..
Eg...
1. How many days absent due to sickness has Joe Bloggs taken in the last 12 months: 3

2. How many time in the last 12 months has Joe Bloggs arrived late for work without prior approval: 4

Hey presto you're screwed!
Old 02 June 2007, 12:02 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Thanks.
Old 02 June 2007, 12:21 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I only provide references on the basis that I have the job already, far too many agencies waste referees time by pestering them and trying to use them as a contact for future jobs.

Many companies also have policies specifically prohibiting the provision of references - IBM for example.
Old 02 June 2007, 08:39 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I understood it was normal practise for a previous employer to simply confirm that the applicant had worked for them and their start/finish dates, nothing more. That way their ***** are covered against accusations of being too negative (applicant sues over unfair bad reference) or too positive (new employer sues for having misrepresented an applicant who turns out not to be up to scratch).
Old 02 June 2007, 11:41 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swampster
It depends on the reference type... quite often these days prospective employers send standard questionnaires, that have all kinds of cleverly worded questions on as well as other stuff about the amount of days sick etc you've had off. It's perfectly acceptable to fill one of these in accurately and truthfully without character assassinating somebody. However the answers to the questions can paint a less than rosy picture..
Eg...
1. How many days absent due to sickness has Joe Bloggs taken in the last 12 months: 3

2. How many time in the last 12 months has Joe Bloggs arrived late for work without prior approval: 4

Hey presto you're screwed!
It is amazing how that sort of thing can scupper you. I know I've had about 25 days sick in the last 12 months, due to surgery to remove gallstones and gallbladder - all bar 1 of those days was either in hospital or under strict instructions from the hospital that I shouldn't work until they'd taken the plastic tube out of my side. The previous 12 years since I started working, I didn't have a single day off sick - but the question wouldn't take that into account. "Hey presto", I'd lose the job.
Old 03 June 2007, 12:53 AM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.

What bothered me was the fact that references had been asked for (application form not CV, directly to the employer and not via an agency) yet I was not invited to interview. This was completely new to me.

I have had about 3 days sick due to 'man flu' over the last 12 months, never late - very relaxed reasonable previous employer. Irrespective of time of arrival I would insure that I did a full day plus extra every time.

I already have a couple of interviews lined up and they havn't even asked for references. Fingers crossed for those!!