Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Insurance company trying to stiff me on a replacement TV

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2007, 10:14 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance company trying to stiff me on a replacement TV

Engineer agrees that the old TV is beyond economic repair.

insurance co's av people have called back and offered a replacement for my top of the range Sony, it is a JVC with a lot less features and JVC not being in the same league as Sony tube/picture or audio wise anyway!

My Sony was the best part of £ 1000.00 some 9 or so years ago, it came with 5 speaker pro logic, 3 x RGB(component) scarts, NTSC playback, PiP, etc which the JVC does not.

PowerPlay insist that this is the replacement and will only offer the value if not which is some £ 202.00.

My policy is 'New for Old', does this sound right, are they correct and do i have to take this. It seems poor service and hardly a direct replacement for a much, much better TV

Last edited by The Zohan; 23 May 2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 23 May 2007, 10:20 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

I hardly think they're trying to stiff you. By your own admission it's a nine year old telly, it was probably going to die of its own accord before too long. Think what they're offering you is quite fair to be honest. Personally I'd take the money and put it towards a decent one.

Otherwise we'd all be spilling stuff on our ancient TV's to get brand new, top of the range, HD jobs.
Old 23 May 2007, 10:29 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
I hardly think they're trying to stiff you. By your own admission it's a nine year old telly, it was probably going to die of its own accord before too long. Think what they're offering you is quite fair to be honest. Personally I'd take the money and put it towards a decent one.

Otherwise we'd all be spilling stuff on our ancient TV's to get brand new, top of the range, HD jobs.
How about an analogy then
Own a ferrari, it get written off, insurance company offer you a new Fiat Panda as the ferrari is no longer made, would you take it, and be happy

After al it has 4 wheels, seats, engine, not the same or same quailty but after all, it is a car. Chances are no

My TV was 9 years old but in great nick and a brilliant picture and sound and i had no intentions of replacing it.

I do not feel that i am being offered like for like ir decent moneyy to replace.
NBew for old should mean exactly that and if Sony still made a 28" CRT with the same features then i would be happy to take it, not some poor quality JVC which is just not the same. I do not eexpact £ 900.00+ back but not the derogatory offer of £ 200.00.
Old 23 May 2007, 10:34 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
How about an analogy then
Own a ferrari, it get written off, insurance company offer you a new Fiat Panda as the ferrari is no longer made, would you take it, and be happy

After al it has 4 wheels, seats, engine, not the same or same quailty but after all, it is a car. Chances are no
Hardly a great analogy. If you wrote off a Ferrari then the insurance company would give you the market value for it. If you bought it for £100k in 1998 it would probably be worth about £25k now so that's what you'd get
Old 23 May 2007, 10:38 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

How do you know it is a rubbish TV?

Your ferrarri analogy doesn't work either, very unlikely to have gone down too much in value and if the car wasn't made anymore you'd get offered the value of the item which is what has happened here. Your 9 year old telly was worth a couple of hundred notes at best.

Decent 28" widescreen TVs can be had for that now. Unfortunately the price plummets as the technology wears on. Remember when DVD arrived and a player was £400 easy. Get new one for 30 notes now.

I suspect you are being offered a perfectly good quality widescreen TV that has all the same features of your old one. Just because it cost £900 then the equivalent now probably would set you back just a few hundred. Your aren't going to get a plasma or something instead.

Demand a Sony fair enough but don't expect to get anything costing a fortune! Take the money and get yourself something with built in freeview i reckon, be much better than your old unit.

5t.
Old 23 May 2007, 11:13 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

My Sony was the best part of £ 1000.00 some 9 or so years ago, it came with 5 speaker pro logic, 3 x RGB(component) scarts, NTSC playback, PiP, etc, etc which the JVC does not.
Let me put this simply

The TV offered is not the same spec as It does not have the same features or fuctionality
The Tube in the replacement is a JVC or whoever makes their tubes and not a Sony tube which IMHO are about as good as it gets.

Who in their right mind would have a new for old policy, pay the premiums accordingly and accept a lower specced and lower quality replacement.

JVC make OK TV's, not in the same league as Sony.

Last edited by The Zohan; 23 May 2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old 23 May 2007, 11:51 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

The replacement should offer the same spec (although NTSC is down to your video/dvd not the TV).

I'd trade off a scart socket for freeview though. Also the technology has moved on a lot. The JVC might not have (but probably does) a high a quality as a Sony but a new one really should have the same if not better than your existing unit.

Take the cash and get one you really like!

5t.
Old 23 May 2007, 11:58 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
The replacement should offer the same spec (although NTSC is down to your video/dvd not the TV).

I'd trade off a scart socket for freeview though. Also the technology has moved on a lot. The JVC might not have (but probably does) a high a quality as a Sony but a new one really should have the same if not better than your existing unit.

Take the cash and get one you really like!

5t.
Hi there, plan to take the cash TBH.

The TV has NTSC playback, will playback 525NTSC pictures, it is listed as one of the features. I also have a top of the line Sony PAL/NTSC playback video as well, the two items cost some £ 1400.00/£1500.00

What i want is to get as much as possible so i cna replace with the best i can, do not mind putting money towrds it but i do mind being told the JVC is like for like when it does not have a lot of the features i had.
Old 23 May 2007, 12:15 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Understood.

These insurance things are nearly always a rip. ex used to work for the one Currys/Dixons used. You are better off saving the money yourself. In this case, find a TV that is the same spec (no freeview though) and ask them to give you the value of that TV. Does have to have the same features after all...

Wouldn't touch something that doesn't have built in freeview or hd ready at the moment.

did manage to play NTSC pics through an old hitachi tv years ago, never listed as a feature though!

Good luck with the hunt.

5t.

Last edited by fivetide; 23 May 2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 23 May 2007, 12:17 PM
* * * KEV * * *
Scooby Regular

I had exactly the same thing m8 but i wouldn't accept what they where offering. They have to offer you a "Like for Like" replacement TV which means it has to be either the same spec as the damaged TV or better.

Hold onto your guns and they'll budge. Good Luck!!
Old 23 May 2007, 12:43 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

It all looked so good the other day

New for old policy, you gets what you pays for, did not go for the cheapest insurance, went for the best, at a price i was prepared to pay

The insurance covered the TV when it was dropped, by accident, long stort short, two of us moving the room around, lifted the TV off its stand, dropped it, it hit the stand and landed on the screen on our wood floor. Not ideal!

Looks like you did get what you paid for after all, a shabby service, I have never come across a reasonable (in attitude) Ins Co in my life.

Good luck
Old 23 May 2007, 12:44 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi Paul,

For my sins, I work as an insurance claims advisor.

What has been said above is correct. In other words, if your policy cover is on a replacement or "new for old" basis (as opposed to "indemnity"), you are entitled to a "current equivalent" to your damaged TV.

That may difficult to establish with a nine year old telly, but it's generally accepted that this means an article of similar specification (ie the same features) as the damaged item.

There you go, clear as mud.

Andy Mc
Old 23 May 2007, 06:08 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Offerd £ 210.00 - rejected
Offered £ 410.00 - rejected and asked to speak to a manager
We have agreed on £ 625.00

Now looking at a 32" Samsung LCD TV model no LE32R87BD for £ 519.00 from Amazon, we have an ewxcess of £ 100.00, so price wise spot on
Old 23 May 2007, 06:15 PM
JayPSC
Scooby Regular

Offerd £ 210.00 - rejected
Offered £ 410.00 - rejected and asked to speak to a manager
We have agreed on £ 625.00

Now looking at a 32" Samsung LCD TV model no LE32R87BD for £ 519.00 from Amazon, we have an ewxcess of £ 100.00, so price wise spot on
Lol b@stards aint they, trippled your money by holding out. Same happened to my mate with his car. Never accept 1st (or second) offer & kick off & ask to speak to the manager, always works
Old 23 May 2007, 06:28 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

about time I called that TV repair man to come look at my TV that the kids broke

Mine was quite old, but has only been used sparingly and still had a damn fine picture