Default omega seamaster with quartz movement

not worth it?

Omega Seamaster Watch 226450

the quartz is £950 but if want automatic its £1200
Old 07 May 2007, 06:57 PM
Infractfree
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion it removes one of the few redeeming points about the watch, it's mechanical movement.

I'd rather buy pre-owned (but hardly/not worn) and get a 'real' watch. That watch is a much better choice than the predictable blue version as worn by 'James Bond' though
Old 07 May 2007, 07:01 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

i see your point and do agree the automatic is a lot more desirable
Old 07 May 2007, 07:50 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

It's an undisputable fact that Seiko make the best Quartz movements - so you could save yourself a lot (£800) and buy one of those.
Old 07 May 2007, 07:53 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

How accurate are the Omega Automatics ? I always get told that watch purists never get auto's as they don't keep good time. Mind you if we are talking about a few secs a week...
Old 07 May 2007, 08:16 PM
Infractfree
BANNED

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
How accurate are the Omega Automatics ?
Not nearly as accurate as the quartz version. Any mechanical watch will be less accurate than a quartz or a £5 casio digital. That isn't the point though.

Tolerances are within -4/+6 seconds a day for a chronometer version of the Omega

I also don't think a true watch aficionado is going to go for the Omega to be honest.....not that it's a bad watch.
Old 07 May 2007, 08:18 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Infractfree
Not nearly as accurate as the quartz version. Any mechanical watch will be less accurate than a quartz or a £5 casio digital. That isn't the point though.

Tolerances are within -4/+6 seconds a day for a chronometer version of the Omega

I also don't think a true watch aficionado is going to go for the Omega to be honest.....not that it's a bad watch.
Cool, just that the dude in Apreys said "if you're precious about time don't buy an automatic.." guess he meant wind up mechs not quartz..
Old 07 May 2007, 08:31 PM
Infractfree
BANNED

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
Cool, just that the dude in Apreys said "if you're precious about time don't buy an automatic.." guess he meant wind up mechs not quartz..
What is 'Apreys'?

Automatic refers to a self winding mechanical movement when talking about watches.
Old 07 May 2007, 08:33 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

sorry typo - meant Aspreys the jewelers, and he meant to advise on wind up mechs
Old 07 May 2007, 08:50 PM
Infractfree
BANNED

To be honest most watch salesman I've met haven't really got a clue what they are talking about. Fancy pants London jeweller or not!
Old 07 May 2007, 09:26 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

If you want accurate buy a Casio Waveceptor that tunes into radio waves and sets the exact time daily to the Rugby clock.

Most watches of desire are automatic (self winding) or manual, neither of these have batteries like quartz watches.

You are paying for the workmanship that has gone into making a tiny machine, although most Tags, Omegas, Rolexs are made from mass manufactured mechanisms rather than hand made.
Old 07 May 2007, 09:34 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

You don't pay a grand for a watch just to tell the time. It's male jewelry, usually expressed by a respected brand with an automatic mechanical movement for those who appreciate good engineering.

Any £5 quartz LCD watch will beat a mechanical for accuracy, but that's not the point. It's the difference between cubic-zirconium and real diamonds, eg buy your GF a CZ engagement ring and the wedding is off

Omega Seamaster is a class watch with pedigree and heritage. Prince William wears one, but I notice Jeremy Clarkson has swapped his for a black-strap chronograph. Trendy these days.

But when talking watches at this price, ask 100 people and you'll get 100 different answers.

Tick-tock,

Richard
Old 08 May 2007, 07:10 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

I have a previous incarnation of the Omega Seamaster in my dressing table drawer, after it filling up with water on several occassions I doubt the term seamaster. So I bought a Rolex and that seems pretty waterproof. My Omega was (or is) a quartz watch. Whatever persuaded me to spend all that money on a damn watch that needs batteries I'll never know.
Even at foive years old though Omega put in complete new internals for free.
However my opinion would be steer clear....
Old 08 May 2007, 08:21 AM
Infractfree
BANNED

Originally Posted by Hoppy

Omega Seamaster is a class watch with pedigree and heritage. Prince William wears one, but I notice Jeremy Clarkson has swapped his for a black-strap chronograph. Trendy these days.
Agreed the Seamaster has pedigree- the 'Seamaster 300' is a watch I'd like to own if I ever find a good example.

However some royal jerk and a bloke who admits himself that he has no style or taste whatsoever wearing something doesn't make it 'trendy'. Even if it did things that are 'trendy' are generally to be avoided in my opinion.

Also I think Clarkson wears a 45mm Black Planet Ocean rather than a straight 'Seamaster'- just like me and James Bond.
Old 08 May 2007, 03:25 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

I've had an Omega Seamaster chronometer for nearly ten years & it rarely leaves my wrist. It has done tonnes of dives and takes plenty of abuse at work.
IMHO buying the quartz model is akin to buying an Impreza Sport.
Old 08 May 2007, 03:48 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
If you want accurate buy a Casio Waveceptor that tunes into radio waves and sets the exact time daily to the Rugby clock.

Most watches of desire are automatic (self winding) or manual, neither of these have batteries like quartz watches.

You are paying for the workmanship that has gone into making a tiny machine, although most Tags, Omegas, Rolexs are made from mass manufactured mechanisms rather than hand made.
Kiwi,

Rolex make all their own movements, and have done so with the exception of the Daytonas up until around 2000? IIRC
Old 08 May 2007, 06:20 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ///\oo/\\\
Kiwi,

Rolex make all their own movements, and have done so with the exception of the Daytonas up until around 2000? IIRC
I don't think that's quite right... Rolex movements used to be made by Aegler, a Swiss watchmaker, until Rolex bought Aegler quite recently. So I think it's true to say that Rolex make their own movements now but didn't used to. I'm not sure Aegler movements were used by anyone else though, so the distinction is only technical.

Your point, I guess, is that Rolex don't use the relatively cheap ETA/Unitas movements that you find in most mechanical watches, and that's true. They are better, or at least more throughly tested and proven for durability and accuracy.

Omega use a variety of movements, some of which are rebadged ETA movements, and some of them are modified ETA/Unitas jobs or something a bit more fancy like Lemania. There are a variety of Seamasters, not sure whether they all use the same one (chronos will have a different movement for starters), but the basic Seamaster automatic uses an omega calibre movement which is essentially an ETA 2842 movement.

TAG mostly use ETA movements.
Old 08 May 2007, 06:31 PM
Infractfree
BANNED

An indepth look at the ETA 2892

The ETA 2824

For anyone that's interested-some ETA movements although cheap and ubiquitous are the 'Chevy V8' of the horological world.

Just because a manfacturer uses a base movement and dresses it up doesn't make their watches less desireable-IMO.

That said my favourite watch uses the 'El Primero'
Old 08 May 2007, 06:58 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infractfree
An indepth look at the ETA 2892

The ETA 2824

For anyone that's interested-some ETA movements although cheap and ubiquitous are the 'Chevy V8' of the horological world.

Just because a manfacturer uses a base movement and dresses it up doesn't make their watches less desireable-IMO.

That said my favourite watch uses the 'El Primero'
I agree with the sentiment that ETA movements are not cheap and nasty, and that they appear in some good watches. The ETA/Valjoux 7750 is in a massive number of chrono watches, because it's accurate and reliable.

TAGs are good watches. My own feeling is that you can get a watch as good for a fair bit less £, but people like them and so why not. You buy a watch cos you like it, not just to tell the time... always makes me smile when people who spend £££ on cars claim it's bonkers to pay more than £200 for a watch! Same deal, you spend money to get a nice thing.

The El Primero has a great rep, can't say I've ever owned a watch with one in though.