Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Some people can't understand the concept of looking after children!

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2007, 10:22 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some people can't understand the concept of looking after children!

BBC NEWS | England | Leicestershire | Police search for missing toddler

Unbelievable
Old 04 May 2007, 10:29 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my first job, many moons ago, in my local supermarket some parents did their shopping and left except that they forgot the young daughter and had to be phoned up to see if they could come and collect her.
Old 04 May 2007, 10:37 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thoughts with the parents, i just hope the girl turns up unharmed.
Old 04 May 2007, 10:39 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Thoughts with the parents, i just hope the girl turns up unharmed.
Lets hope they learn their lesson

Originally Posted by www.bbc.co.uk
A friend of the family told BBC News that the McCanns were having dinner a few hundred yards away from the apartment and had been checking on the children every half hour.
Old 04 May 2007, 10:43 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

3 is a bit too young to be left alone but besides the point you dont expect the to get abducted. Hope she turns up safely
Old 04 May 2007, 10:47 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Certainly hope they find the little girl unharmed. Does not seem very creditable behaviour on the part of the parents.

Les
Old 04 May 2007, 10:57 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by MattW
Lets hope they learn their lesson
I agree with your sentiments, we have two little girls, 4 & 2, we never leave them unattended, even if playing in the front garden, one of us is always there and we live at the end of a cul de sac with one road/path in and out.

I just hope little girl and that she turns up OK, the parents may have been a bit stupid but it may well be the child that pays the price.
Old 04 May 2007, 11:03 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Sadly.
Old 04 May 2007, 11:09 AM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I couldnt believe it when i saw it, the only saving grace for the parents is if one of the other children with the three year old was at a responsible age. Still no excuse for leaving them alone though and it must be hell for eveyone.
Hope she turns up safe and sound
Old 04 May 2007, 11:13 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

If she was on her own when she was abducted then that's appalling. If she is found safe (and I hope she is) I hope on the familes return social services are invovled to review whether the parents are capable...
3 isnt a "bit" too young to leave a child alone, it's 11 years too young in the eyes of British Law (I think). I appreciate that they were abroad, but they must have taken leave of their senses...
Old 04 May 2007, 11:18 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I'll wait until facts become clear, but given the father is a doctor they are obviously not the average chav family on holiday. It also mentions that the resort provides a baby-sitting service allowing the parents to have dinner - not clear exactly what that service is.

Add to that the peer pressure if this was a common practise on the resort.

In any case it's still symptomatic of the selfish attitudes and lack of familial structure that is prevalant in the west.

Last edited by KiwiGTI; 04 May 2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04 May 2007, 11:57 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not good. Hope she returns safe and sound.
Old 04 May 2007, 12:23 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

No one expects someone to enter their hotel room and abduct their child, but theres no way my children would be out of range of a baby monitor.
Old 04 May 2007, 12:30 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Hope she turns up. Thought of that happening to our daughter leaves me cold

Our daughter is 5 and is never left alone. I can barely let her grandparents have her for longer than a few days without worrying.
Old 04 May 2007, 12:37 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

Went there on hols this time last year!

Mark Warner resorts are usually self contained and they have a baby listening service which operates late into the evening.

The Portugal resort was different (IIRC) and it was just appartments split over a large non-exclusive and wider area.

I think people let their guards down on holiday, so I can see how this happened.

Hope they find the child safe and well.
Old 04 May 2007, 12:39 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
I'll wait until facts become clear, but given the father is a doctor they are obviously not the average chav family on holiday. It also mentions that the resort provides a baby-sitting service allowing the parents to have dinner - not clear exactly what that service is.

Add to that the peer pressure if this was a common practise on the resort.

In any case it's still symptomatic of the selfish attitudes and lack of familial structure that is prevalant in the west.
A couple of points here..... Being well educated or having a good job is no guarantee that they will be any more responsible. Some of the kids at my sons schools have 'exemplary' parents on that score, but still get treated with utter disregard.

Also, peer pressure. You feel peer pressure when you're in school! If you cannot have the ***** to look after your children because of a few people who you couldn't really give a toss about, then there is no hope.

I'm no getting at you Kiwi, just addressing the points you raised.

I hope she is ok, my daughter is 3, and the thought of her being taken like this..........

Geezer
Old 04 May 2007, 12:45 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
Also, peer pressure. You feel peer pressure when you're in school! If you cannot have the ***** to look after your children because of a few people who you couldn't really give a toss about, then there is no hope.
Peer pressure is rampant in British society, call it "keep up with the Jones's" if you want. It's a driving force in modern life in the UK.
Old 04 May 2007, 12:52 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
A couple of points here..... Being well educated or having a good job is no guarantee that they will be any more responsible. Some of the kids at my sons schools have 'exemplary' parents on that score, but still get treated with utter disregard.

I'm no getting at you Kiwi, just addressing the points you raised.

I hope she is ok, my daughter is 3, and the thought of her being taken like this..........

Geezer
agreed, peer pressure may make you have an extra drink at the pub instead of going home on time or buy a certian brand or whatever, it should not have any bearing on how you look after your kids.

As a parent or guardian you have a huge responsibility and it should not ever be taken lightly. Kids rely on us as parents and guardians to keep the safe, to educate, encourage and to teach values and to love them and look after them and their best interests at heat at all times.

I am not sure about the exact circumstances of this case or if the parents are at fault, on the surface it looks like this may be the case.

Parents education or social standing should not really have a bearing on how much you love or look after a child, that is maternal/paternal instinct.
Old 04 May 2007, 01:48 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

Agree with all said so far. How they will live with themselves if they dont get her back unharmed I dont know.

I had a though earlier while listening to the news and hearing that there had been a break in, is it possible that it was 'just a burglar' and that the child wandered off on her own after being woken by the break in? Fingers crossed she may turn up safe yet
Old 04 May 2007, 03:00 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
agreed, peer pressure may make you have an extra drink at the pub instead of going home on time or buy a certian brand or whatever, it should not have any bearing on how you look after your kids.

As a parent or guardian you have a huge responsibility and it should not ever be taken lightly. Kids rely on us as parents and guardians to keep the safe, to educate, encourage and to teach values and to love them and look after them and their best interests at heat at all times.

I am not sure about the exact circumstances of this case or if the parents are at fault, on the surface it looks like this may be the case.

Parents education or social standing should not really have a bearing on how much you love or look after a child, that is maternal/paternal instinct.
Agree all you want, but the word you've used is "should" and that is not the reality in this world. Peer pressure dictates many things that you are supposed to have a "maternal/paternal" instinct for. We are so separated from reality these days many parents don't have a clue.

Ceasarians, breastfeeding, discipline, education, childcare, nannies etc are all examples of what can be altered because of societies perception and pressure.

Let me make one thing clear though - I think these parents are clearly irresponsible and selfish and are directly responsible for the disappearance of their daughter. I've since read that there were 2yo twins in the same apartment)

I'm married to an Asian and the very thought of being without our son on holiday is abhorrent, it defies all purposes of having a family holiday. If they needed to be alone then they should have organised direct adult supervision for their children.

It's still obviously they are not the average chav family, I've not met many burberry cap wearing cardilogists married to doctors, but yes that doesn't mean they are perfect.
Old 04 May 2007, 03:03 PM
Infractfree
BANNED

Shocking, if you know the area then you'd know how safe it is. If she wandered off then there really isn't much hope for her as she'd have been found by now.

More likely is an abduction, at least that seems better than the option of her being dead in a ditch somewhere or in the sea. It's like a 'little England' there, I wonder if it was a fellow brit that took her?

Poor girl.
Old 05 May 2007, 09:28 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

36 hours now. Not looking good
Old 05 May 2007, 09:46 AM
bartmanuk
Scooby Regular

on sky news last night it said the tapas bar the parents were eating in was only 40 yards from the apartment and they were checking on the kids every 15-20 mins, so its not quite the couple of hundred yards as 1st reported nor the every 30 mins checking, i dont think its right to be slating the parents when we dont know the full facts, as said earlier they are not your average chav family, both parents are doctors so they must have some savvy IMO.

just hope they find her ok,

BM
Old 05 May 2007, 10:42 AM
Scoobless
Scooby Regular

Location: UK300 to P1 to LEON CUPRA R to MONDEO...life sucks!!

Whether they are a "Chav" family or not is besides the point,they have behaved very irresponsibly concerning the care for their children,i wouldn't leave mine who's nearly 8 by himself whilst i was out enjoying myself....
Old 05 May 2007, 10:48 AM
bartmanuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobless
Whether they are a "Chav" family or not is besides the point,they have behaved very irresponsibly concerning the care for their children,i wouldn't leave mine who's nearly 8 by himself whilst i was out enjoying myself....
they were 40 yards away and could see the front door of the apartment from the bar where they were having dinner, its not like they were out partying.
Old 05 May 2007, 11:19 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't blame the parents ruthlessly. 40 yards is no distance. If they could keep an eye on the front door of the apartment, they would have been fully confident of childern being safe. If someone was determined to ****** the girl away, they would have done it, even if she was on the beach, at arms length form her parents; picking shells and pebbles.
It's a very unfortunate story Hope the parents find their child soon. My thoughts are with the family.
Old 05 May 2007, 11:22 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bartmanuk
they were 40 yards away and could see the front door of the apartment from the bar where they were having dinner, its not like they were out partying.

Now, now. You mustn't let the facts get in the way etc......

Do hope they find her. Soon and alive and fine. dl
Old 05 May 2007, 11:44 AM
Scoobless
Scooby Regular

Location: UK300 to P1 to LEON CUPRA R to MONDEO...life sucks!!

Originally Posted by bartmanuk
...But they still left a 3yr old in a flat without parental supervision...there's no excuse for that
Old 05 May 2007, 12:01 PM
Prince Popeye
BANNED

Some of the comments on this thread are just ott. How leaving some kids in YOUR apartment and checking them every 15 mins is irresponsible is beyond me. They loved their kids and obviously were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I could count the number of times i've seen small kids on their own thru housing estates etc. Obviously its the parents fault for letting them play and not the paedo for going into that area.

Its one of those unfortunate events and shame on all the people who have branded these parents. They have enough to cope with without the righteous brigade coming down on them.

I am amazed no one has condemned the sick fc*k who has taken the 3 year old yet

Quick Reply: Some people can't understand the concept of looking after children!