Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Best lazer jamm...um, er, I mean garage door opener.

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2007, 09:47 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best lazer jamm...um, er, I mean garage door opener.

Laser Pro Park, LT400 ?

Anyone up on these at the moment - best ones etc?

Cheers

Ro.
Old 16 April 2007, 08:24 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I'd be interested in this too. I'd also like to know how effective these are from someone who really understands the physics of lasers.
My road angel booklet says that the width of the laser beam (when from short range) can be as small as 200mm. How big is the jamming field? ie with such a small width does the jammer not have to be placed in EXACTLY the same postion as where the laser hits to be effective?
Old 16 April 2007, 09:13 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

As far as I know these things when set up correctly are very effective, unfortuantely I think there use as now almost nil due to the fact that it is widely known that the laser trap operator flags up the reg number every time a jamming signal is detected and that if it happens a few times the vehcle can be " examined " further at a later date.

now could be wrong about all the above and would be very interested to hear from anyone whi continues to use one to correct me re this but as far as I know this is the currect sitaution with these things.
Old 16 April 2007, 09:22 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Jono, not sure I understand what you mean. Laser operators are very rarely in the same place, they are not that common full stop. So the chances of them being alerted to you again and again is rare.
If I had a laser jammer I would go a step further and make sure I had a legitimate device that was controlled by it so even if they examined my car there would be a good reason why I had it.
I'm just unconvinced by the science of it
Old 16 April 2007, 10:40 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Not a problem mate, if they are not even that commonly seen in your area then would forgett paying £300 + for one then !!!!

just saying that your reg plate can be put on a central computer register and if it comes up again as a vehicle that has again given off a jamming signal or suspected off jamming the signal then you car could be investigated further.

I think you will find the reason for the silence off there use on here is that not a lot off owners will admitt to having several hundred pounds worth off worthless kit now !!!

do a search on here mate, at one time laser jammers were talked about an an almost daily basis, with even a group buy organised.

again I could be wrong and please do correct me if I am , have again ran a jammer myself for over two years only removing it a few months agao for the very reasons given above.

would rather run my TOMTOM one with its monthly updated cam database and just keep that bit more vigilant for camera vans than risk being caught with a jammer on my car

dont forgett that laser jammers are very well known to the authorities, they know what to look for and know when you have one fitted for a genuine pupose or not !!!

would be great to hear from others on this very subject but as I found out with my own similar post a few weeks ago I fear the end off sucusfull use off laser jammers is now well and truly over.
Old 16 April 2007, 10:44 PM
tronlc
Scooby Regular

Ok got LRC100 and LPP's

Both have done their jobs!!

Dependng on location of van/distancethe roadangle/bel eurodont always go off, but as the "items" are in/around numberplate they always go off! Drove up the same road 3 timeswheer I knew a van was to get him to eventually test them for me! I am also in the process of gettingan LTI 20-20 so I can fully test!
Old 16 April 2007, 10:57 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

i think there was someone local to me that got done because of a jammer, used it one to many times and the police suss and got a warrent, seached the house etc, so i would imagine its a roppy area. i think what it boils down to is, if you cant do the time don't do the crime, after all it is speeding none the less
Old 16 April 2007, 11:02 PM
tronlc
Scooby Regular

mm I think alot of it is scare tactics...If youve got *****....

The LPP are parking sensors anyways... cant do you for having parking sensors esp if the supplied manuals say they are parking sensors, irrespective of the side effects that may or may not be caused......

Think of it some poor sods have been locked upfor doing 150 ish yet people who beat up old people etc get a slaped wrist.
Old 16 April 2007, 11:05 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tronlc
Ok got LRC100 and LPP's

Both have done their jobs!!

Dependng on location of van/distancethe roadangle/bel eurodont always go off, but as the "items" are in/around numberplate they always go off! Drove up the same road 3 timeswheer I knew a van was to get him to eventually test them for me! I am also in the process of gettingan LTI 20-20 so I can fully test!

LTI 20-20 that will be the one that makes up its own idea off speed readings then ??!!! stationary cars doing 30mph etc !!!!!

but yep fair enough will prove if the actual laser detector / jammer etc is actually working !!!

again think its generally accepted that the laser detection devices on the road angel , speed camera devices with laser detectors built in etc are next to useless . the unit itself sits on your dash how is it going to see a very narrrow beam being fired at your number plate or lighs area ??

even if you do get a detection warning its too late your speed has been detected - ticket in the post , thank you very much !!!!

do most cam vans still use the LTI 20-20 ?? been around for a while now am sure it will have been replaced with something a lot newer and with not such an infamous repuation ??!!
Old 16 April 2007, 11:11 PM
tronlc
Scooby Regular

You still have a second or so to react to when the device detects a laser signal,that could be enough if your fast to scrub some speed...

They still have the 20-20's the ultralyte LR is the new version but still, as far as I am aware, use the same diodes, but why would they want to replace all those units that work when the new ones have the same issue relating to that speed issue...

I am looking forward to getting the 20-20 as I can test my various setups Even thought I know somework!
Old 16 April 2007, 11:29 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate totally disagrea with you there as I am sure the majority off folks will tell you detect the laser yourself and you have been targetted and currant speed recorded, no amount off braking within one second is enough !!!

again if you know about laser detection you will realise why it is almost impossible for you to get a laser alert from one off these detectors ( the jammers which are located normally above the number plate about earlier have to be set up almost criticaly as to receive the very narrow signal so why / how is a detector sitting on the dash / windscreen well away from the laser beam going to detect it ?? and once again if you do ( signal scatter ) its just confirmation that you are the lucky one out off the bunch who has been targetted !!!
Old 16 April 2007, 11:46 PM
tronlc
Scooby Regular

Readup on how the LTI etc work they send a "cone"
out that gets bigger the further away the target is, also look at how they acquire the speed and u will see you have a small time from when the signal is sent out...

Do some research on them and you will see what I am talking about, loads out there do a search
Old 17 April 2007, 07:27 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tronlc
Readup on how the LTI etc work they send a "cone"
out that gets bigger the further away the target is, also look at how they acquire the speed and u will see you have a small time from when the signal is sent out...

Do some research on them and you will see what I am talking about, loads out there do a search

Okay mate wonder how big you think this " cone " area is ??? I take it you are aware a small spirit level is / was supplied with the lrc100 to get the unit excatly level - yep it realy is that critical !!!

not going to delve into the workings off a laser gun too much as its something that can get well beyond me but at the end off the day dont underestimate how well these devices do the job in hand !!!
Old 17 April 2007, 08:06 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Jono, just so I'm clear have you stopped using a LJ because of the legal implications or because you feel they are not effeective? Is this LTI a jammer or detector?
Old 17 April 2007, 10:59 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Laser jammers when set up correctly are probably about 95% effective, the lti 20-20 is the actual speed measuring device used by the laser operator ie the cam van.

yep stopped using mine for two reasons

1/ being an older " blinder " model not 100% sure how effective it actual was at jamming the signal

2/ yep felt that haven driven past a few camera vans with the thing switched on that maybe just maybe I had used up all my lifes ??!!

lastly - being the older twin head model the firing / detection heads were actualy very noticable upon close inspection on the front off the car.

so this is the reasons I stopped using the jammer, again I feel that with the use off my TOMTOM one v2 with its monthly updated speed cam database then this is more than enough for most off my journeys and it is actualy very rare to find a camera van that is not actually on the list off presett locations on the tomtom unit. so why spend another several hundred pounds more when this thing is 100% legal and very good for what it is.

wish a few more users off these jammers would come forward thou and give there own thoughts regards if it is still advisable to run these " garage door openers " these days ??!!
Old 18 June 2007, 10:23 PM
tronlc
Scooby Regular

Rite.. Laser Pro Park... 100% effect front and rear on a 4x4 with lots of crome!! tested on about 20 runs at various ranges, with many further tests planned.........
Old 18 June 2007, 10:47 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

nice to hear of your success....keep us posted
Old 18 June 2007, 10:49 PM
tronlc
Scooby Regular

Will do, going to put them on the impreza next week and test! and test some LRC100's fitted to bike!

Even targeted the top of the windscreen at about 400 meters and the LPP did the job and didnt give the jam code on the 20-20
Old 19 June 2007, 01:43 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
I'd be interested in this too. I'd also like to know how effective these are from someone who really understands the physics of lasers.
My road angel booklet says that the width of the laser beam (when from short range) can be as small as 200mm. How big is the jamming field? ie with such a small width does the jammer not have to be placed in EXACTLY the same postion as where the laser hits to be effective?
Its an interesting thought Deep, but I would guess that the signal from the jamming device is pretty wide angle for that very reason that you quote. As long as it gets some light energy into the laser beam it should be enough to spoil its measurements.

Les
Old 19 June 2007, 02:25 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I thought the problem with the lasers was beam spread? What is the talk about having a narrow band?

The argument put forward in several bike mags is that the laser comes back off the biggest object so if a truck is going in the other direction that's what the reading comes off.

A bloke in a bmw successfully argued in court that he had been doing 70 in the middle lane of the motorway when another car overtook him. He got the summons through but the operator was forced to admit that the reading could have been from the other vehicle which was overtaking in the outside lane and not the car he was getting a picture of.

5t.
Old 19 June 2007, 03:05 PM
tronlc
Scooby Regular

Give me a few weeks and I will test it over a few thousand runs!!!

Yeah it goes to the beam width and I have read all about the cone increasing etc over distance BUT from my current small experince its *****! As the beam was aimed abotu a meter away from the parking sensor at a range of about 300 meters and the still set the parking sensor off