Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

24 Hour Blood Pressure Test

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2007, 09:22 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 24 Hour Blood Pressure Test

Going back a few years I had a bout of mild despression following the ending of a 7 year relationship...
The depression led to panic attacks, which before they were diagnosed led to me being tested for brain tumours, epilepsy and heart problems.
The upshot was that my 72 hour benders were taking their toll and I was to cut down on all things bad and things would improve.

I had had to go back for 6 monthly BP checks ever since and am always slightly high but no enough to warrant treatment.

Over the last few months, the head of the practise has taken me under his wing as a mini project and so today after a series of checks coming in around 156/95 he decided to give me a 24 hour check.

I have to wear the sleeve cuff for 24 hours on my left arm. It comes off at 14.30 tomorrow. Then there is a belt with a walkman device (oooop there it goes) that every 15 mins by day and every 30 by night compresses, squeezes the life out of my arm and reads the pressure. Sleeping tonight should be fun!
There's a little digital display for me to monitor should I want to (and I have been)...
Since 2pm, I have averaged 143/87 which I dont think is too bad...

In a few more days I go back to discuss the results...

Anyone else had one of these, or on medication for HBP etc?

Nice
Old 18 June 2007, 09:27 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

That's a good idea, to have this 24 hour monitoring cycle. It will show up anything untoward. Hopefully nothing will be untoward I hasten to add.
Old 18 June 2007, 09:32 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Have you noticed any fluctuations whilst on Scoobynet

I have been on courses of Varapamil, but it wasn't for high blood pressure, it is for Cluster Headaches to try and help thin the blood and ease the pain of them

They told me if I continued on them on the higher dosage I would have to be monitored regulary with ECG's etc and other heart tests, as the dosage I would have been on, could slow the heart down a bit too much

They are tablets for HBP though really

The only thing it said about them, was that under no circumstances should you eat Grapefruit no matter what, as there can be adverse effects with the tablets

Also smoking doesn't help, don't think you do if I remember correctly
Old 18 June 2007, 09:46 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Hi Ab, I've had a couple of these 24 hour tests. They are a bit intrusive but they do the required job. In my case they over ride the " white coat syndrome", I tend to get in a bit of a state when I have my 6 monthly review .On the 24hr test, I tend to get used to the damn thing inflating every 20 mins or so, and that removes the fear.
Funnily enough, it was stress which kicked off my need for treatment for HBP but it is a genetic thing too.
Hope you go on ok, and that you take whatever the doctors say in good spirits.
Cheers Yve
Old 18 June 2007, 09:48 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
The only thing it said about them, was that under no circumstances should you eat Grapefruit no matter what, as there can be adverse effects with the tablets

Couldn't you eat wafer-thin slices of grapefruit?
Old 18 June 2007, 09:50 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Bubba..... that's an absolute NO No .
Old 18 June 2007, 09:51 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apparition
Bubba..... that's an absolute NO No .
It's just a joke. Like on the Royle Family.
Old 18 June 2007, 09:52 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

No not at all Bubba

I do like a bit of Grapefruit too, that said I'm not on the tablets now, so can eat as much grapefruit as I like

There is obviously something in the grapefruit, maybe zinc/iron or something like that that causes problems
Old 18 June 2007, 09:54 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I had one of those 24hr tests done about a year ago, mine was running at around 165/110 average at the time due to w*rk related stress/anxiety etc. I've since left the job I was doing (and the company) and it's back around 137/84 most of the time these days, and I feel loads better.

It really surprised me how much difference stress actually makes to your physical health, it's not to be underestimated.
Old 18 June 2007, 10:46 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Bubba po
It's just a joke. Like on the Royle Family.

Oooops I got it, Jim

Hope it all goes well Abdabz, I've never had a problem with blood pressure but the other half has, so may mention this to him
Old 19 June 2007, 10:27 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Cheers for the replies!
Well what a sleepless night that was! Every half an hour the sound of the compressor and the pressure on the arm brought me round. I think I slept through just two of the half hour tests all night
Drove into work to show willing, but was told to "work from home" today so that's what I am doing...
My dad suffers from hypertension and is treated for it. I did smoke, Sonic from 16-32 but gave up 4months ago I have the odd one now when I am pished. I get pished too often and need to cut down on the booze, although I excercise a lot through cycling and running etc...
The doc reckons if I lose half a stone things should be sweet...

Of the results I have seen so far over the last 20 hours:

Highest Sys:155
Highest Dia: 104
Lowest Sys: 123
Lowest Dia: 73
Average resting heart rate 69 (wahey)
Average over all recorded results: 143/87 - not worthy of medication - I expect a few stern words re drinking culture and dominos pizza... And quite right too!

Well, 4 more hours of 15 minute squeezy intervals, then it's done and maybe I'll catch up on that sleep!

Old 19 June 2007, 10:48 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

That's pretty good, though you might want to keep an eye on the diastolic to make sure it doesn't creep above 90 long term. I use one of the LLoyds Chemist automatic blood pressure monitors at home, maybe a couple of times a week. They're very easy to use and accurate too, the Doctors at my local surgery use them. Not bad for £9.99 either.

Just had mine checked this morning by the Doc again, while I was getting a blood test. 132/80 - which is pretty good for a fat b@stard like me.
Old 19 June 2007, 10:50 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Cool

Ababadazadamda..... here's a useful tip!

Whenever you get high blood pressure just watch some **** the excess blood is diverted to your pink poker and thus takes the strain off your system

Like natures own little dump valve ...........

On a serious note..... nah, there isn't one!
Old 19 June 2007, 01:18 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Good luck with all that Abdabz, I used to have BP of around 160/80 until I had a quad bypass and now it is 120/65. It certainly makes a difference in how you feel.

Les
Old 19 June 2007, 02:54 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Leslie
Good luck with all that Abdabz, I used to have BP of around 160/80 until I had a quad bypass and now it is 120/65. It certainly makes a difference in how you feel.

Les
Quad bypass
You have been through the mill, Les
Old 19 June 2007, 04:08 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Ababadazadamda..... here's a useful tip!

Whenever you get high blood pressure just watch some **** the excess blood is diverted to your pink poker and thus takes the strain off your system

Like natures own little dump valve ...........

On a serious note..... nah, there isn't one!
That can cause problems of the opposite extreme as a result of my gargantuan love-rods wondergirth