Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Parking fine - what to do next

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2007, 06:19 PM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking fine - what to do next

Have just returned from a meeting in Bristol and having parked in a specified car park next to Temple Meads railways station, I get back 5 minutes after my ticket expires to find a fixed penalty notice of £75 payable to CHP. The ticket was timed at 2 minutes after my time expired.

Ok, so I am over the time, but £75 seems a bit steep. I checked the car park notice as I left but could see no reference to charges apart from tow away for parking in non allocated places. I am going back tomorrow for a better look.

I have heard that Tescos are having to be very precise in how they word their penalty charge notices, and I am wondering if anyone here has any advice on this. If I had been an hour over fair enough, but this seem very excessive as almost they are watching to the minute just to cash in.

Advise greatly appreciated.

I can pay £50 in a fortnight in full settlement if I chose to do so.
Old 15 April 2007, 07:43 PM
turbomatt
Scooby Regular

I dont think you will have any other outcome other than to pay up im afraid seems harsh but theres no grey areas, if your over the time then you get fined .
Old 15 April 2007, 07:45 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

What to do next?

Send a cheque to the address on the ticket mate, might be harsh as it was only a couple of minutes but after you've gone over the time limit, it doesn;t matter if it's a minute or an hour
Old 16 April 2007, 08:17 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by SteveScooby
What to do next?

Send a cheque to the address on the ticket mate, might be harsh as it was only a couple of minutes but after you've gone over the time limit, it doesn;t matter if it's a minute or an hour
/\/\ What he said.... /\/\
Old 16 April 2007, 11:40 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They are only after your money at all costs after all!

Les
Old 16 April 2007, 11:45 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Now if you were clever enough and got back to the car just a few minutes late you should have bought another parking ticket, you write to the council saying you was intending on leaving your car there, the tickets are so close together and that they would probably waiver the fine.

Worked for me anyway
Old 16 April 2007, 12:41 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Appeal the ticket based in incorrect signage and check that there is a seperate issue date and date of offence if not then appeal based on this. Make sure you appeal twice the first goes to the people who issued the ticket and they will reject this out of hand the second goes to and independant appeals process who should be more friendly. I am sure though that two minute can be accounted for by differences in clocks and times. etc.
Old 16 April 2007, 04:02 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Is this a Council car park or a private one? If it is a Council car park you are basically stuffed and have to pay up.

If it is a private one you can ignore it, and the registered keeper may eventually get a letter asking for payment. The Registered Keeper then responds asking for their evidence as to who the driver was. No evidence then no case to answer. At no time should you admit to being the driver and RK though. Have a search of the Police and Law froum at Pistonheads although you'll have to register first. Quite a few threads on it.

Incidentially I have ignored a ticket in a private car park recently and am waiting to see what happens.
Old 16 April 2007, 04:06 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Chrisgr31
then responds asking for their evidence as to who the driver was. No evidence then no case to answer.
Erm, if the car was parked then there was no driver, or am I missing something
Old 16 April 2007, 07:39 PM
I want to believe
Scooby Regular

Private Parking Companies/Charges - Advice Paper (everything you need to know) - Consumer Action Group
Old 16 April 2007, 08:44 PM
Dr Who
Scooby Regular

Incidentially I have ignored a ticket in a private car park recently and am waiting to see what happens.[/QUOTE]

Probably get a few reminders through the post, then in 12 months when you think you've got away with it you'll get get a knock at the door with some friendly bayliffs demanding about £1200 for unpaid parking fine plus costs etc etc
If you ignore them they don't simply vanish into thin air as many people believe
Be interesting to hear how you get on though keep us informed
Old 16 April 2007, 09:03 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Debt collectors may show up, but for a bailiff to be present they should have had to take him to a civil court. He should get notice of proceedings so that he can offer some sort of defence.
Old 16 April 2007, 10:20 PM
m1cks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nickejmartin
Have just returned from a meeting in Bristol and having parked in a specified car park next to Temple Meads railways station, I get back 5 minutes after my ticket expires to find a fixed penalty notice of £75 payable to CHP. The ticket was timed at 2 minutes after my time expired.
Blame it on the train
Old 18 April 2007, 01:39 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr Who
Incidentially I have ignored a ticket in a private car park recently and am waiting to see what happens.

Probably get a few reminders through the post, then in 12 months when you think you've got away with it you'll get get a knock at the door with some friendly bayliffs demanding about £1200 for unpaid parking fine plus costs etc etc
If you ignore them they don't simply vanish into thin air as many people believe
Be interesting to hear how you get on though keep us informed
Been 2 months or so now, and nothing received yet.