Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Where shall I buy a Tag Carrera from?

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2007, 09:10 AM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Where shall I buy a Tag Carrera from?

Guys

My wife wants to buy me a present (recon she wants more shoes or something) anyway, I'm looking at getting this Tag Heuer Carrera watch (CV2014.BA0786)

I've contacted a Tag Authorised dealer in California who has quoted me $3,000 (inc sales tax) = £1550 as I have some friends flying over in a month who are willing to bring it over.

Doesnt look like its much of a saving from the RRP £1695.

Any recommendations on where to buy it from?

Thx in advance......
Old 12 April 2007, 09:16 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

YHPM
Old 12 April 2007, 09:17 AM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My gf got a Tag (not that model) from the Tag Outlet shop at Bicester Village (01869 249 008).

I remember suggesting she delay the purchase as I was sure I could find it on the net much cheaper, but I couldn't...
Old 12 April 2007, 09:51 AM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

Are you dead set on a Tag? Imho there are always better watches available for the price... Anonimo for Italian style (not grossly overpriced like Panerai, but made by the people who made Panerai before Richemont bought them out); Sinn for technical quality - 142 series, 900 series or H4 are all technical watches like the Carrera ChronoTachy.

However, if you do want the Carrera, tagwatchesdirect is a UK webshop that has one for £1370. Wouldn't surprise me if you could get it cheaper.

I'll admit to being biased in favour of Sinn watches - always amazing quality for the price point. But they are quite technical-looking usually and that's not to everyone's taste.

Here's an H4:

Old 12 April 2007, 10:10 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Longjing
Are you dead set on a Tag? Imho there are always better watches available for the price... Anonimo for Italian style (not grossly overpriced like Panerai, but made by the people who made Panerai before Richemont bought them out); Sinn for technical quality - 142 series, 900 series or H4 are all technical watches like the Carrera ChronoTachy.

However, if you do want the Carrera, tagwatchesdirect is a UK webshop that has one for £1370. Wouldn't surprise me if you could get it cheaper.

I'll admit to being biased in favour of Sinn watches - always amazing quality for the price point. But they are quite technical-looking usually and that's not to everyone's taste.

Here's an H4:

That's a disgusting looking watch.

Agree with the Tag thing though, but in the "Heat" and "Hello" magazine society we live in loads of people seem to want Tags/Omegas/Rolex's even though there are far better watches available.
Old 12 April 2007, 10:18 AM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

thats the first watch I've seen with MPH on it, is this a marketing ploy or a reflection of its ability to keep time?
Old 12 April 2007, 10:57 AM
darms
Scooby Regular

Longjing

I know there are alot of other watches in this price range, but like the look and feel of the Tag.

I'm not too sure on purchasing one from somewhere like tagwatchesdirect, as I'm worried that there may been problems with the warranty should anything happen. Has anyone had any experience in buying such a watch from a internet reseller?
Old 12 April 2007, 10:59 AM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RichWalk
thats the first watch I've seen with MPH on it, is this a marketing ploy or a reflection of its ability to keep time?
It's a tachymeter watch... OP has picked a Tag tachymeter, hence that option.

Tactful as ever Kiwi Not my favoured style really, but people like all sorts.

This is my current Sinn:

Old 12 April 2007, 11:13 AM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darms
Longjing

I know there are alot of other watches in this price range, but like the look and feel of the Tag.

I'm not too sure on purchasing one from somewhere like tagwatchesdirect, as I'm worried that there may been problems with the warranty should anything happen. Has anyone had any experience in buying such a watch from a internet reseller?
All that matters is whether you like it! Like with cars really...

Not used that lot, and it's a fair concern. I've bought a few watches on-line, but always from the same bloke in Bolton who was recommended once. None of them have had problems so I can't say what the after sales would be like in a pinch.

That said, I wouldn't be too happy buying a US watch either - are you going to send it back to Callifornia if it goes pop? Europe would make more sense to me - that's where TAG are, after all. Cheap flight to Zurich and get one there maybe?
Old 12 April 2007, 11:46 AM
FATBOY_STi
Scooby Regular

I bought a TAG from Singapore (though i was there on holiday !) - they are about 50% of UK prices - mine was in UK stores for £895 - I bought it for about £450.

.....and before you ask it is real as it has been back to Tag for cleaning !!

...not sure if you can buy them online though and get it shipped.
Old 12 April 2007, 12:59 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ight=tag+heuer
Old 12 April 2007, 03:45 PM
bugsti
Scooby Regular

It's a tachymeter watch... OP has picked a Tag tachymeter, hence that option.

Tactful as ever Kiwi Not my favoured style really, but people like all sorts.

This is my current Sinn:

The H4 is a flight computer watch.

The next watch I get will be a Sinn. I think they are great.
Old 12 April 2007, 04:49 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugsti
The H4 is a flight computer watch.

The next watch I get will be a Sinn. I think they are great.
It is indeed... with chrono and tachy functions.

I'm a Sinn evangelist myself. They make some fantastic technical watches.
Old 12 April 2007, 10:12 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

LOL, that first Sinn looks like a copy of a Breitling and the second a copy of an IWC. Do they do anything original?
Old 12 April 2007, 10:17 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Buy a Poljot - great quality - and great price. This is mine. Love it to bits.

Old 12 April 2007, 10:23 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Agree with the Tag thing though, but in the "Heat" and "Hello" magazine society we live in loads of people seem to want Tags/Omegas/Rolex's even though there are far better watches available.
I have had my Tag for 8 years and I can honestly say that neither of the aforementioned publications influenced my decision

I bought it because I liked it and the mid-size face suited my skinny wrists

T
Old 13 April 2007, 12:54 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carl
LOL, that first Sinn looks like a copy of a Breitling and the second a copy of an IWC. Do they do anything original?
There's not much new under the sun in mechanical watch design. Quartz movements give more room for manouevre... fancy a Storm? LOL indeed.

Lots of chrono pilot watches have that format and the same sub-dial position because 90%+ of these automatics use the same Valjoux 7750 movement.

But it would be fair to say that internal innovation is a stronger point than fashion design for Sinn. Argon moisture-repelling and oil-filled watches for high pressure, for example, and some internal gear suspension stuff that I don't understand.
Old 13 April 2007, 01:05 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

There's not much new under the sun in mechanical watch design. Quartz movements give more room for manouevre... fancy a Storm? LOL indeed.

Lots of chrono pilot watches have that format and the same sub-dial position because 90%+ of these automatics use the same Valjoux 7750 movement.
I'm more thinking of the shape of the case, the hands, the font used on the face. It appears that in 2004 the ex-head of IWC joined Sinn. Looks like he got them producing cheap knock-offs of his former product
Old 13 April 2007, 02:09 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

I'm more thinking of the shape of the case, the hands, the font used on the face. It appears that in 2004 the ex-head of IWC joined Sinn. Looks like he got them producing cheap knock-offs of his former product
It was 1994 I think. You could hardly make a more expensive version of your average IWC watch could you?

Anyway, it's true to say that some Sinns are like other watches only cheaper. Not sure what's bad about that though!
Old 13 April 2007, 02:44 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tonybooth
I have had my Tag for 8 years and I can honestly say that neither of the aforementioned publications influenced my decision

I bought it because I liked it and the mid-size face suited my skinny wrists

T
I think Tags have lost a lot of their credence as a watchmaker in the last few years. They are now purely a fashion brand.

I mean here someone is paying £1500 for a ETA movement that isn't worth £50, yet stick it in a Tag case and they can charge a ridiculous amount.
Old 13 April 2007, 03:00 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
I think Tags have lost a lot of their credence as a watchmaker in the last few years. They are now purely a fashion brand.

I mean here someone is paying £1500 for a ETA movement that isn't worth £50, yet stick it in a Tag case and they can charge a ridiculous amount.
More or less... the Carrera uses a Heuer calibre 16, which is a lightly decorated Valjoux 7750... and ETA now make valjoux movements.

But we don't all drive skodas, do we? It doesn't always have to be the best value item that we buy.
Old 13 April 2007, 03:55 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

It was 1994 I think. You could hardly make a more expensive version of your average IWC watch could you?
Dunno, mine appears to be worth £300 more now than when I bought it. I reckon that makes it pretty cheap
Old 13 April 2007, 11:35 PM
chameleon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by James Neill
Buy a Poljot - great quality - and great price. This is mine. Love it to bits.

Very nice mate, big fan of Poljots.

I have an Aviator Chrono Titanium but can't find a pic of it.

Check out the Traser automatics for bargain Eta movement watches with interesting military connections here [TraserH3 - Welcome I have one with black face and strap and love it

Also love the Traser chrono even though it's quartz.

Love the Sinn Flieger above, although really want the IWC version...

I love watches
Old 13 April 2007, 11:50 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Yeah that Poljot is particularly nice.
Old 14 April 2007, 12:03 AM
chameleon
Scooby Regular

Carl, what IWC do you have
Old 14 April 2007, 12:13 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

More or less... the Carrera uses a Heuer calibre 16, which is a lightly decorated Valjoux 7750... and ETA now make valjoux movements.

But we don't all drive skodas, do we? It doesn't always have to be the best value item that we buy.

My Carrera has a manual Lemania 1873 Movement and not a TAG logo in sight-only the Heuer one.(CS3113 model)
Wouldn't touch one with the Valjoux personally but then I am a picky git!

I have my eye on a vintage manual 60s/70s model Breitling at the moment that I have been trying to locate for a while, and one of those Poljots has been on my purchase list for ages. Cheers for the reminder

Watch threads aren't the same without yoza

As for the OP, get one in the US.
Managed to pick up a Carrera Twin Time for my brother for stupidly cheap a few months ago. Amazing exchange rate, plus %35 off made it very cheap indeed.

Last edited by Freak; 14 April 2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 14 April 2007, 03:22 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Yeah that Poljot is particularly nice.
"Sturmanskie Gagarin Watch - This striking and popular watch is a commerative edition of the first watch in space worn by Yuri Gagarin. This limited edition (of 1000 pieces) also went into space of the wrist of Russian cosmonaut Yuri Shargin in 2005."