Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Building an extension.......

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2007, 02:04 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Building an extension.......

Where do I start? (yeah, from the ground up!)

I have an old wooden lean-to conservatory at the moment, it's a bit small and is starting to look a bit 'tired'. So, I'd like to remove the lean-to and extend my lounge. I want a single story - 'garden room', I think is the phrase. I have some ideas, but will I need planning permission, what about building regs etc.

Any (sensible) advice appreciated.

Old 11 April 2007, 02:06 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Saxo Boy is the one to ask but it sounds like you will need planning permission.
Old 11 April 2007, 02:10 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've not heard of a garden room but sun or summer room.

You will definitely need planning permission.
Old 11 April 2007, 02:17 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

You'll require a building warrant but planning permission will depend on a great many factors. The best way to get a definitive answer is to approach your local authority with an idea of the external size and height of your extension, where on the house you'll be building it, etc, etc. They will look at all the criteria and advise you whether planning permission is required or not and can talk you through the process if it is.
Old 11 April 2007, 02:19 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

You will definitely need planning permission
Not neccessarily, many sun rooms, garden rooms, extensions, etc are permitted development (i.e. they affectively have deemed planning permission)
Old 11 April 2007, 02:21 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

What I'm looking for (sun room / garden room etc) is a single story extension - approx. 4 x 3m. leading from my existing lounge, one wall will be all brick (dividing wall with my neighbour) with two walls partly glazed, i.e. half height wall with the rest glass. Oh, I suppose I'll need French doors too leading to the garden.

My thoughts were that maybe as I already have a conseratory, about 2 x 2m and I'm not vastly increasing the floor space (2 x 2m = 4sqm to 3 x 4m = 12sqm net gain of 8sqm) I may not need planning permission. I stand to be corrected though.

Also, someone mentioned that if I take out the existing window from lounge and make it a doorway I'd need to put a door there - sliding door etc? I'd rather just make it a walk through without any doors!
Old 11 April 2007, 02:27 PM
Smudga
Scooby Regular

Any form of addition to the house (unless its a sort of greenhouse) and is used in conjunction with the dwelling is classed as an extension.

In saying that not all extensions require planning approval as some properties have 'permitted development rights' i.e. you can extend your house up to 50 cubic metres if semi or terrace and 70 cubic metres if detached or 10 or 15% of the volume of the house, whichever is the greater.

There are exceptions to this, if you are in a conservation area or similar or the building is listed or it has previously been extended and used up the 'permitted development' allowance.

The easiest way to establish if consent is needed is to visit the Local Authority Planning department and either speak to the duty planning officer or pick up a copy of a free publication by the DTLR titled 'Planning a guide for householders'.... it tells you more on the above.

Building regulation approval will be required for the extension.

Hope it helps

Oopps seems you guys can type quicker than me
Old 11 April 2007, 02:30 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the posts guys been a help so far........

.............. now, who want to help fund the project?

Anymore suggestions welcome.
Old 11 April 2007, 02:44 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

You are allowed (under permitted development rights) to build a room either 75 cubic metres or 15% (which ever is greater) of your house total current volume, without the need for planning permission.

You still need to send them a copy of the plans, but their permission isn't needed.

For a 12' x 12' sunroom allow between £9K and £14K, depending on finish etc. so a 6 ' x 6' should come in at £5.5K

Old 11 April 2007, 03:18 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Just spoken with the council.

I don't need planning permission to build upto 70 cubic metres, but as I have a detached garage on my property this is included in the 70 cubic metres. So, my 3 x 4m sun room / extension doesn't need planning permission.

Next; Building Regs. If the 'extension' is greater than 50% glazed I don't need Building Regs , but if the roof is less than 75% transparent then I do . As I'm going for a flat felt roof I'll be needing Building Regs at £440!
Old 11 April 2007, 05:49 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by gpssti4
one wall will be all brick (dividing wall with my neighbour)
If you are talking about extending the party wall then you will have to clear that with your neighbour, and probably seek advice from a solicitor about boundary rights. Is your neighbour having similar built at the same time? If not then he has a right to light etc. which you may be deemed to be blocking if he can see your construction from his lounge for example. I would check this with solicitor / council too. If you are engaging an architect to draw up plans then he should also be able to advise.

Also give careful consideration to what you are building over, e.g. drains, airbricks, and where the downpipes / gutters are going to go.

HTH
Old 11 April 2007, 07:42 PM
miff13
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
Just spoken with the council.

I don't need planning permission to build upto 70 cubic metres, but as I have a detached garage on my property this is included in the 70 cubic metres. So, my 3 x 4m sun room / extension doesn't need planning permission.

Next; Building Regs. If the 'extension' is greater than 50% glazed I don't need Building Regs , but if the roof is less than 75% transparent then I do . As I'm going for a flat felt roof I'll be needing Building Regs at £440!
If your house was built in the last 20 years or so there is a good chance "permitted development rights" were withdrawn as part of the original planning consent in which case you will need planning consent. The council always assume permitted development rights exist so you can't count on what they tell you. I know it sounds mad but you have been given the opinion of a planning officer, not a decision!
Old 11 April 2007, 08:09 PM
-JUST-POOTLING-ALONG-
Scooby Newbie

Sorry I seem a bit lost , as a tradesman all work we do needs to comply to building regs.You dont NEED them as such but must comply with them , also as a rule if you are not extending "as such" you will not need planning. Building inspectors are like traffic wardens avoid them at all costs.Also while complying with with these regs insolation and accoustics(sound deadening) is a big factor and the regs have changed again bannig (foil) type insolators for the time being making everyone pay a premium for kingspan...These building regs are pain if you are planning to and extra soskets,lights etc.You may fall into part "P" of the building regs which require the installer to self certificate their work, which could bring the rest of wiring in the house under the spot light.My advice for a pain free time dont go any bigger or bite the bullit and apply for planning.
Old 11 April 2007, 08:27 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by -JUST-POOTLING-ALONG-
Sorry I seem a bit lost , as a tradesman all work we do needs to comply to building regs.You dont NEED them as such but must comply with them , also as a rule if you are not extending "as such" you will not need planning. Building inspectors are like traffic wardens avoid them at all costs.Also while complying with with these regs insolation and accoustics(sound deadening) is a big factor and the regs have changed again bannig (foil) type insolators for the time being making everyone pay a premium for kingspan...These building regs are pain if you are planning to and extra soskets,lights etc.You may fall into part "P" of the building regs which require the installer to self certificate their work, which could bring the rest of wiring in the house under the spot light.My advice for a pain free time dont go any bigger or bite the bullit and apply for planning.
Just been hit with the insulation thing. Had my building regs stamped in Oct 06 with foil trisoft 10? insulation. Building inspector bitch from hell comes around and says must have some other stuff, extra £400!
Anyway, I think I've got them to agree that since my regs were stamped prior to the change I can still use the foil ( I hope!)
Old 11 April 2007, 08:42 PM
Old Farquar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Just been hit with the insulation thing. Had my building regs stamped in Oct 06 with foil trisoft 10? insulation. Building inspector bitch from hell comes around and says must have some other stuff, extra £400!
Anyway, I think I've got them to agree that since my regs were stamped prior to the change I can still use the foil ( I hope!)
These multifoils haven't been tested to the British Standards, and have used an alternative test to get the results they've claimed. A BS test was done on Thinsulex, one of the three or four main players, and it was found to be 30% as efficient as it was claimed. We ask for multifoils + 70mm Celotex / Kingspan etc or + 120mm glass fibre in a sloping ceiling. The official change over date was April 2006 so you did well with October!
Old 12 April 2007, 10:07 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Old Farquar
These multifoils haven't been tested to the British Standards, and have used an alternative test to get the results they've claimed. A BS test was done on Thinsulex, one of the three or four main players, and it was found to be 30% as efficient as it was claimed. We ask for multifoils + 70mm Celotex / Kingspan etc or + 120mm glass fibre in a sloping ceiling. The official change over date was April 2006 so you did well with October!
OF, are you able to confirm where I stand? Since the regs were stamped in Oct 06 are the council in a position to make me use the new stuff?

Many thanks and sorry for hijack
Old 12 April 2007, 10:27 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
If you are talking about extending the party wall then you will have to clear that with your neighbour, and probably seek advice from a solicitor about boundary rights. Is your neighbour having similar built at the same time? If not then he has a right to light etc. which you may be deemed to be blocking if he can see your construction from his lounge for example. I would check this with solicitor / council too. If you are engaging an architect to draw up plans then he should also be able to advise.

Also give careful consideration to what you are building over, e.g. drains, airbricks, and where the downpipes / gutters are going to go.

HTH
Presently there is a 6 foot high fence dividing our properties, also, the only window that it *may* have an impact on in their property is an opaque one with a vent in it. My wall won't effect the light for them - if anything, they could painted it white and it'd reflect even more!

My neighbour isn't doing any building work to my knowledge.

Thanks
Old 12 April 2007, 06:47 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

OF, you have mail!
Old 12 April 2007, 08:37 PM
Old Farquar
Scooby Regular

So do you!