TV choice sending me bonkers!!

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2007, 06:43 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TV choice sending me bonkers!!

Its driving me fecking insane!

I'm after a 40inchish lcd/plasma. Just as I think I've made a decision I check on AV Forums and someone is complaining about

Sony ....clouding

Sharp..... buzzing and banding

Panny.....purple snake! Purple snake? Sounds like a cocktail!

One tv is better with fast moving images, one slow, one better on freeview. Compressed images, 1080p does it actually make a difference?, screen burn, dead pixels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It just goes on and on

I just want someone to tell me the BEST TV for watching 75% SD, 15% DVD and 10% HD in size 40-42 for less than £1.5k.

PLEASE????????????????????
Old 10 April 2007, 06:47 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Those AV forum geeks are just as bad as audiophiles and car detailers. Saddos.

Its good to do research on such stuff, but maybe its time to revert back to the tried and tested method of going in the shops and seeing what you like best.
Old 10 April 2007, 06:54 PM
gillyz20let
Scooby Regular

panasonic th42px70. the purple snake crap is so overstated, ive never seen any sign of purple snakes on mine.
Old 10 April 2007, 07:05 PM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

iv got the same panny, no purple snakes for me either and a stunning set to boot
Old 10 April 2007, 07:22 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

I have the panny in the lounge & never had a problem with it.
Got a sony bravia LCD in the bedroom & cant fault it either.
From the naked eye in terms of picture the panny is slightly better but not enough to really notice.
Old 10 April 2007, 07:42 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh

I'm after a 40inchish lcd/plasma. Just as I think I've made a decision I check on AV Forums and someone is complaining about

Sony ....clouding

One tv is better with fast moving images, one slow, one better on freeview. Compressed images, 1080p does it actually make a difference?, screen burn, dead pixels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It just goes on and on

I just want someone to tell me the BEST TV for watching 75% SD, 15% DVD and 10% HD in size 40-42 for less than £1.5k.

DeepSingh,

Please listen to me...I have the answer!!!

I was in the exact same position as you. I went through two 42" Sharps with the dreaded banding issue before sending them back. After much extensive research I went for the 40" LCD Samsung LE40F71BX.

Samsung

After the immense disappointment with the two Sharps and horror stories about the Sony's, I cant tell you how happy I was when I got this TV. It is absolutely outstanding. The picture is amazing in SD and by all accounts the HD is unsurpassed.
The only thing that might put you off is that it has no built-in Freeview tuner. This didn't bother me as I have Sky+, and TBH the Freeview tuner on the Sharps were rubbish and could only pick up a handful of channels. Everything else is brilliant. It even has a built-in 10 memory card reader for photos and MP3's. It also has a USB port to attach a printer.

You cannot get better than a real world recommend. Go for this TV, it rocks!

Craig.

Forgot to add....its a full HD panel not just HD. Resolution is 1920 x 1080

Last edited by CRAIGFIN; 10 April 2007 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 10 April 2007, 08:42 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Ok two votes for the Panny. This is good news as the price of this is very keen ie £900 at Empire Direct. In terms of plasma screens though I'v been told there are none with 1080. Does that mean it can't fully support Sky HD broadacasts or have I misunderstood?

Craig, I hadn't thought about the Samsung but will go and check it out tommorrow.

Thanks

All input appreciated
Old 10 April 2007, 09:03 PM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

I've been in a similar situation with AV Forums, you just end up more and more confused and no further forward.
Old 10 April 2007, 09:06 PM
Minitrue
BANNED

Location: The Ministry of Truth. War is Peace: Freedom is Slavery: Ignorance is Strength

Sony ....clouding

Deep; I have a big and very expensive Sony LCD, one year ago it was the very best that you could buy and magazine reviews raved about it (at over £3,400). If I was spending my money right now Id be looking at a 42" Panasonic gas plasma display.....

MoT
Old 10 April 2007, 09:12 PM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

You'll find that Craigs Samsung is being replaced this month with a new model.

Sorry to confuse things.

AV Forums doesn't do much for ones sanity that's for sure.

My advice would be to buy the new model without reviewing it anywhere, it's bound to be an excellent tv. If you look on the forum someone is guaranteed to find fault.

Old 10 April 2007, 09:15 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but at what cost. I haven't checked the price but I reckon it will be more than his £1500 budget.

It had better be or else I'll be upset!!
Old 10 April 2007, 09:43 PM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

sky dosnt broadcast in 1080p you get the choice of 720p or 1080i out of the sky box which are both fine for the panny.
Old 11 April 2007, 08:52 AM
bonerp
Scooby Regular

Just bought an 87 series Samsung and very happy. Its got HDMI, screen goes up to 1080, its got movie plus which works well in high speed frame films etc. I'm no expert but seriously happy with it. Looks bloody good in my living room too!
Leave AV Forums alone. Tossers - the moderators are worse!
Old 11 April 2007, 09:11 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

No snakes on my panny
Old 11 April 2007, 11:09 AM
Minitrue
BANNED

Location: The Ministry of Truth. War is Peace: Freedom is Slavery: Ignorance is Strength

"Im sick of these mother-f*cking snakes on this mother-f*cking panny!"
Old 11 April 2007, 11:19 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

lol - I too read about the snaking on the Panny. Apparently, there's a downloadable firmware update that addresses those tvs that have the problem......

I was quite concerned, but 4 months later - it's BRILLIANT.

Don't read too much into the AV forum issues....... they'll find fault with everything

However, in their defence, my research found issues with ALL the flat panel sets - they all have something wrong with them!! It's a case of deciding which potential issue you can live/deal with.....

Dan
Old 11 April 2007, 12:54 PM
EVOVI
Scooby Regular

If you are spending upto £1500 then get the Pioneer 427XD...I have just got one after months of crap PQ and purple snakes on my Panny PX60.
I was offered a new Panny but despite the new one not showing purple snakes I was not confident that they would not appear after time.It took over 3 months before my panny starting showing them..
All Plasma tvs will buzz some are louder than others,the Pioneer is supposed to be loud but I have found it alot quieter than the Panny.
I was told my many different people if you have £1500 to spend get a plasma..
Old 11 April 2007, 01:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sony ....clouding

I was were you are now ............ conflicting reports, the BEST TVs as rated by the AV Forums looked absolute crap when viewed in the shop.

THEN I saw an LG ........... the rest is history - all the reviews, all the research, all the studies, all the searching were totally useless in the end.

USE YOUR EYES is my best advice .... the AV Forums are full of ***** (the same as you get on here talking bollox about fuel surge, re-maps, heatsoak and Cocklinks) ................ pinch of salt needed!!

Look at the 42" LGs