Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Top Gear going States side!!

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2007, 12:01 AM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Gear going States side!!

Your having a laugh aren't you BBC? After "that" episode out in the States and the gangs constant ridiculing of American cars.....how the hell will this work?

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | BBC Top Gear in US TV deal talks
Old 10 April 2007, 07:07 AM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

If it does happen the numbers of programmes in a series in the UK will probably get lower, maybe 1 or 2. The last series was unbelievably short.
Old 10 April 2007, 08:30 AM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eldudereno
If it does happen the numbers of programmes in a series in the UK will probably get lower, maybe 1 or 2. The last series was unbelievably short.
Actually it was the same length as the spring series was last year. They have a longer run in the summer/autumn series. Spring is just an interim until then...
Old 10 April 2007, 10:40 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

In November 2005 it won an international Emmy award for the best non-scripted entertainment show.

It's always seemed very rehearsed/scripted to me!
Old 10 April 2007, 11:39 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Well thats odd because when we went it was for them to re-do the talking bits inbetween vid footage to suit the US.

Think it got binned because JC isn't very forgiving when it comes to yanks.

Was quite funny in rehersal introducing the show "Hello fatties!" was his first words.
Old 10 April 2007, 12:23 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
"Hello fatties!" was his first words.
Hmm, having seen the pap-pics from his holiday recently I do hope he included himself in that comment

As the most popular and profitable show the BBC have for export I can fully understand the r£a$on$ for them doing a US show, although I can foresee massive hypocrisy looming. We can only hope it doesn't impact too greatly on our shows. 6 shows in the spring and 9 in the autumn needs to be the minimum. Personally, I'd like to see 10 for each as long as they can keep it fresh, which has been looking difficult of late. Channel 5 have a chance to steam in and grab some audience and export royalties, but if they retain the current presenter line-up (especially Tim (dim but dull) Lovetoy) and format they will never achieve it. The UK viewers switch off in their droves now so they better sort it quick before it goes the same way as C4's Drivel (Driven).
Old 10 April 2007, 01:06 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

We all know that JC loathes most of the USA and it's people, let alone the majority of it's cars. I can't see him being over enthusiastic about driving the new chevy impla or ford expedition, or god forbid some form of pickup truck. He'd have to be paid very well indeed to wax lyrical about a car he loathes just to keep the US car companies happy, and I really cannot see that happening.

If they are going to review the same cars they do in the UK, then why not just keep the show in the UK? I think a lot of the appeal of the show is that it's a UK show for a UK audience. If it were to become a US show, it could well alienate a lot of it's current viewers by turning into some god awful US type show. The Car shows on the Speed channel are very thinly veild promotions for a car manufacturer, and I don't want to see TG turned into this.

One does wonder if the article was meant to be released on 1st April
Old 10 April 2007, 11:59 PM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
We all know that JC loathes most of the USA and it's people, let alone the majority of it's cars. I can't see him being over enthusiastic about driving the new chevy impla or ford expedition, or god forbid some form of pickup truck. He'd have to be paid very well indeed to wax lyrical about a car he loathes just to keep the US car companies happy, and I really cannot see that happening.

If they are going to review the same cars they do in the UK, then why not just keep the show in the UK? I think a lot of the appeal of the show is that it's a UK show for a UK audience. If it were to become a US show, it could well alienate a lot of it's current viewers by turning into some god awful US type show. The Car shows on the Speed channel are very thinly veild promotions for a car manufacturer, and I don't want to see TG turned into this.

One does wonder if the article was meant to be released on 1st April
1st April....hmmmmm suspicious!