Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

LCD or Plasma?

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2007, 09:38 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LCD or Plasma?

I was in Sainsbury's and they have the Sony KDL40U2000U 40 inch LCD or £899! Seems very cheap - so I have looked around and I see that big LCDs and Plasmas are all around the same price point at the same sizes - things change very quickly.

My experience of LCD is that it is very susceptible to source - can look fabulous, can look terrible.

Anyone got one the U series Sony's or what would you get for £1,200 maximum?

Rannoch
Old 07 April 2007, 09:42 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

saw this model last night in Sainsburys too....... made me happy I'd got my 42" Panasonic Plasma

LCD isn't my cup of tea, but you KNOW you'll get just as many for and against it too.....

Dan
Old 07 April 2007, 09:53 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

u series is that one of the first bravias? i think my parents have one as i chose it and it's fantastic, lcd always shows off hd better than plasmas anyway
Old 07 April 2007, 10:00 AM
zoton
Scooby Regular

Default Hold on a minute

Had a Sony 40 LCD and wanted a plasma so I sold it.

However I now have a beautiful W series. Product of the year in many pro mags and the blacks are amazing. Full HD 1080p screen and it upscales standard TV to a glorious resolution. This means for HD transmissions and DVD there is no upscale of pictures...what they send is what you get...amazing honestly.

I spent weeks on this decision and it is each to there own. But I have no fear of screen burn and a jaw dropping picture on everything I push through it.

Click and collect with say Comet gets this at less than £1300 (it was and still maybe £1799 in store) Also search out those voucher codes on the net first.

Good luck neither technology is best there is only best for individuals. Having said that the W and X series Bravias are unbeatable for resolution and picture clarity in my less than humble opinion.

Also check out AV Forum great advice and this AV stuff can be nearly as expensive a Subaru

Good luck

Mark
Old 07 April 2007, 11:15 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

The A bit of the AV is already worth more than my Subaru

Thanks for the input on the V bit
Old 07 April 2007, 12:58 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

I also had the LCD / Plasma decision to make and couldn't decide for months. I eventually went, after much research, for a 40" Samsung LCD and it was the best decision I could have made. The two worries with LCD is the black levels and motion blur. Some LCD's, like mine, have a black level equivalent to that of a high end Plasma, there is very little to tell. The motion blur issue was a worry for me as I am a big football and movie fan. Luckily, it was never an issue with my TV as it handle fast signals / movement with no blur at all.

Go for LCD!!
Old 07 April 2007, 05:55 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After months of research and looking at different set pictures I almost went for the 40" Sony LCD 1080 version. I've now had a further round of readups and picture tests and I've ordered the 42" Panasonic PX70 plasma from John Lewis with a price match to Richer Sounds
Old 07 April 2007, 07:23 PM
Minitrue
BANNED

Location: The Ministry of Truth. War is Peace: Freedom is Slavery: Ignorance is Strength

Originally Posted by Rannoch
I was in Sainsbury's and they have the Sony KDL40U2000U 40 inch LCD or £899! Seems very cheap - so I have looked around and I see that big LCDs and Plasmas are all around the same price point at the same sizes - things change very quickly.

My experience of LCD is that it is very susceptible to source - can look fabulous, can look terrible.

Anyone got one the U series Sony's or what would you get for £1,200 maximum?

Rannoch
It does sound cheap doesnt it? I have a KDL40W thats just over a year old and cost over four times as much! The model identifiers can be misleading as the W was the top model but now its used on an also-ran... Id look at Sony's website to try to establish where the U fits into the scheme of things. When mine was new the S and the V used the same actual screen but the V had a far higher image quality due to its superior driver boards (the W used these and had an integrated amplifier).

MoT
Old 08 April 2007, 04:40 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

http://www.plasma-lcd-facts.co.uk/

Old 08 April 2007, 04:54 PM
wrc350+
Scooby Regular

lcd works fine for me though i was swayed by currys.
Old 08 April 2007, 05:08 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

LCD at anything smaller than 44" is superior to Plasma, although if used without a HD signal you may find that Plasma will make a standard TV signal look nicer.

I believe only Samsung panels (which can also be found in the latest LG offerings i believe) are any good for 50".

As detailed, Black on a Plasma will normally be displayed better than that of a LCD due to the way the filters work on LCD technology (although this is starting to improve vastly with some of the latest leading brands offerings such as Panasonic, Samsung and Sony).

Be careful with warranties on LCD also, make sure the warranty will cover single pixel-outs and that you dont have to wait for a cluster to appear (like 5 or something within a certain proximity) before they replace the panel as warranties on LCD are a massive exploit for some manufacturers to not have to replace faulty sets.

Last edited by marmski; 08 April 2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08 April 2007, 05:33 PM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

44" thats a bit optimistic, smaller than 37" yes but not 44 oh and the black level is due to lcd requiring a 'backlight' so you never realy get a true black where as plasma dosnt need this so it can in effect turn off the pixel giving a much better black.
Old 08 April 2007, 08:09 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Interestingly Sony has stopped making plasmas all together and now ONLY makes LCD. I've read excellent mag reviews on the 2000W but AV forums has loads of people saying they have 'clouding' issues with it.
Old 08 April 2007, 08:17 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Interestingly Sony has stopped making plasmas all together and now ONLY makes LCD. I've read excellent mag reviews on the 2000W but AV forums has loads of people saying they have 'clouding' issues with it.
I believe Toshiba have also stopped making them now as well. They viewed Plasma as a "intermediate" technology to be used until LCD improved enough to challenge it
Old 08 April 2007, 08:18 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa
The "Facts" from companies that sell Plasma's hmmmmmm!!!!!!

Things move on month on month, parts of that websites survey were done nearly two years ago and the majority of it is over a year old. Buy the magazines, read independant reviews and look for yourself in proper Demo rooms.

Cheers
Lee

Last edited by logiclee; 08 April 2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08 April 2007, 08:34 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

LCD and plasma will be both old technology in a couple months once SEDs are here.
Old 09 April 2007, 03:01 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by logiclee
The "Facts" from companies that sell Plasma's hmmmmmm!!!!!!
Erm, they make LCD's too

As for Sony only making LCD's now, they don't make either, they buy the panels in, or at least they were. The same panels could be found in Sony/Samsung/Hyundai screens........