Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Contact lenses ??

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2007, 07:13 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contact lenses ??

Currantly into my first week off a trial period off using contact lenses, does it get any better ??!! still struggle to get them both in and out of my eyes, feel that the lenses that I have here are in no wway as strong as my regular glasses although am not sure if my final pair being made up will be stronger as these were ones that were given to me there and then off the shelf in the shop.

the lensses on trial are the ones that can be worn for a month before requiring to be changed , water based I think they were called ??

anyone advise re any off the above ?? due to go on a direct debit scheme with the optician when I get my regular pair off contact lenses just want to make sure they are okay before going ahead.
Old 05 April 2007, 07:24 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Had em about 20 years or so, you'll get used to putting them in, takes a while.

Use the left fore finger to hold the top of your eyelid open, look down and stick on, look up and release left fore finger slowly to prevent pop-out.

I switched from monthlys to dailys. Much, much better for me.

HTH
Old 05 April 2007, 07:26 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Oh, and I can see exactly the same with contacts or glasses, so if you can't, get it checked.

Also, remember contacts are one way, turn them inside out and they'll irritate like hell. Make sure you are putting them in when they look... err, bowl shaped... I'm sure the optician has showed you this though.
Old 05 April 2007, 07:34 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Putting them in and out should get easier with practice but if you can't see clearly with them or are in any discomfort then you definitely need to check with the optician if it is okay to continue.
Old 05 April 2007, 07:59 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thanks folks really do appreciatte your advice on this subject, the lenses seem to go in my eye a heck off a lot easier than they come out !!! a couple off times I have almost been convinced it is not there only too discover it a while later !!

yep know about the bowl shape thats fine.

just comparing them in strength to my regular glasses I find they are not as strong, no discomfort occasinally feel as if my eyes are a bit gritty / blurd but guess this could be them requiring cleaned again ??

will give it a while longer as I really do like the idea off them its just that again I just want to make sire they are for me.
Old 05 April 2007, 08:05 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i wore mine for 2 weeks inside out LOL

dumb woman showed me how to tell which way was correct, only she was wrong

ohh the relief when my boss at the time told me they were in wrong

i find that when i start to get tired they dry out quite fast amd start to irritate me

not worn them much over the past year, maybe 3/4 times, but after getting the xbox360 i found i couldnt read the text properlly when in the recliner so i started wearing them again LOL
Old 05 April 2007, 08:09 PM
miff13
Scooby Regular

Started using them a couple of years ago and it does get a lot easier, you're probably being a bit too cautious when taking them out but you'll get the hang of it quickly.

I can see just as well with them as when I'm wearing glasses so you may need a different prescripton. I'd change to daily ones though, a lot less hassle.
Old 05 April 2007, 08:11 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

another long term wearer here

Getting them out !! I remember that red eyes trying to fish them out

It gets so easy

I now wear daily disposable [5 years]
Old 05 April 2007, 08:12 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

gets lik 2nd nature after a while - i put mine in and take them out without a mirror now...can even do it while driving if i leave the house in a hurry!
Old 05 April 2007, 08:15 PM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wear ones called Focus Dalies, you put a new pair in morning. They are very comfy and its easy to see ,before you put them in, if they are the right way round. I pay £54 for 3 months supply (contactlenses.co.uk special price), i get an opticians check up once a year as well but dont buy anything else from them. They are very soft lenses which you just kinds 'pinch' out very time, not like the hard lenses I tried when I first started up. I could always feel them but these soft ones are so much better, easy to put in and take out. There are also more comfy Focus Dailes (softer) ones but they cost a little more.

...and they are be able to give you ones off the shelf becuase they just match them to the same as your glasses prescription. I am a -3.50 in both eyes (short sighted) so I dont have to worry about putting them in the wrong eye! The ones you get from now on will be no different vision wise unless you change prescription.

The Hoff
Old 05 April 2007, 08:27 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

I've worn gas permeable lenses for about 12 years now - I remember at first it was a hassle getting them out and putting them in, but you soon get used to it.

To start with, I wasn't convinced that the lenses were as strong as my glasses, but now they both seem to be the same, so looking back, I wonder if it was something to do with them settling down.
Old 05 April 2007, 09:34 PM
MJB2
Scooby Regular

When i did a trial, they said to wear them for an hour, then two..... and work your way up. These were the 30 day ones that you had to put in the cleaning stuff every night.

If in any doubt i would go and have another check up. End of the day they are about to start taking your money so want to make sure you are happy.
Old 05 April 2007, 10:08 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

I wear RGPs (not to be confused with RPGs - something an iranian "wears").

Tried softies for a bit - I have eyesight a bit like Mr Magoo and found I kept bumping into things, walking off cranes etc. Well, perhaps not quite, but my optician tells me that I will never get the same vision with softies cos they do not deal with my astigmatism in the way that the gas permeables do. Also, for those over 3 billion dioptres, like myself, the rigids give sharper vision.

Hope that helps y'all.

regards,

Andy