Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Commuting from Northampton

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2007, 09:31 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Commuting from Northampton

I've been offered an interview for a job in Peterborough and I live in Northampton.

The job looks great, and would be really good experience for my CV. The trouble is, my wife has just had our first child, and I don't want to be in a position where I don't see our daughter apart from weekends.

I've had a look on Multimap, and it is a 45 mile commute on a single lane A road - I don't suppose anyone does this commute from Northampton do they, and could let me know rough travel times please?

Cheers

Steve
Old 03 April 2007, 09:49 AM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

I would allow an hour each way depending on what time your planning on leaving.
Old 03 April 2007, 10:00 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

A14 > A1, should be dual carriageway all the way and it is reasonably freeflowing apart from the A1 / A14 roundabout which can be unpleasant. Gatsos apleanty though on the A14, but once you know where they are they shouldn't present any great problems.
Old 03 April 2007, 11:17 AM
mpr
Scooby Regular

I did northampton to cambridge for a while and that is bad.... very bad. But you won't be on the nasty stretch of the A14 so I would think it was pretty good. The A1 north has plenty of lanes to go at too!

Best bet is to try it and see (take a day off work or go in late and do the morning drive at the time you would be doing it). Bear in mind that things will be worse in the winter with the shorter day light hours though :-(
Old 03 April 2007, 11:42 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Hi there

If going Npton to Peterborough i asaume you will go on the a45/605

Ir so allow an hour each way, depending on where you abouts you are working. fixed cameras on the 605, not many places to overtake safely.
Old 03 April 2007, 11:47 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Northampton to Peterborough is a breeze, honest Unless you live on the far side of N'hampton and work on far side of P'boro - that will make a big difference at busy times.

Go straight over the A14 at Thrapston and when you get to the Oundle area there are several quiet back-road options that will get you quickly to south P'boro (Stilton/Alwalton) or North (Wansford). Nice roads, too.

Tel me where the job is and I'll try to guide you.

Just don't go speeding through my village

Richard.
Old 03 April 2007, 12:25 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

A45 A605 atay away from the dreaded A14 !!
Old 03 April 2007, 02:07 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Basically, I'd be getting on the A45 at Wooton round about - near junction 15 of the M1, then going A45 to A605, then stay on there until it crosses over the A1(M). Then the company is in Orton Parkway - for those that know Peterborough.

At 8am ish in the morning do you guys really think this would only be an hour? That's great if it is. I was worried as the A605 looks like a single carriageway on Multimap, and thought that would be a nightmare at commuting times?

Thanks for all your info - much appreciated. Keep it coming please
Old 03 April 2007, 02:25 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The A605 can be a bit of a pain sometimes but I think the majority of the traffic will be going the other way.

Try it on a day off. 60 mins max.
Old 03 April 2007, 03:14 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Ah,

remember it well, used to commute from Bedford to P'boro daily years back. I was north Bedford then so used to drive to rushden and then A605 all the way. As hoppy says you can get off just before the A605 goes into p'boro and go through alwalton, was handy for me as I worked on the business park that road takes you into. Of course I used to drive it when there no speed cameras between thrapston and oundle, no bypasses with bloody roundabouts etc. etc., in fact it used to be mad! Use to cane and overtake like mad in my trusty old Golf GTI back then, ahhh happy days!

Gary
Old 03 April 2007, 03:39 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. I might give it a go over the bank holiday, but obviously that won't be like rush hour times.

Thanks for all your input.

Steve
Old 03 April 2007, 04:00 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Sub, A605 is single carriageway and over-taking both difficult and dangerous. But you can avoid most of that, including the Oundle roundabout, by turning right off the A605 at Barnwell. Follow the road through Polebrook and Lutton, then first left at crossroads and you'll rejoin very close to the A1 Alwalton. That is the Orton area so you can't be more than a couple of minutes from work from there

Where exactly is your new place of work? Orton Parkway is a dual carriageway - part of the ring road, not an address. A1(M) J17 might shave a few minutes depending, but is a busy junction. There are lots of options to avoid the slow Oundle pypass, which is the main trick.

Richard.

PS Get a map. Orton is a rabbit warren of identical industrial estates and dense housing

Last edited by Hoppy; 03 April 2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03 April 2007, 04:01 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sub97
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Basically, I'd be getting on the A45 at Wooton round about - near junction 15 of the M1, then going A45 to A605, then stay on there until it crosses over the A1(M). Then the company is in Orton Parkway - for those that know Peterborough.

At 8am ish in the morning do you guys really think this would only be an hour? That's great if it is. I was worried as the A605 looks like a single carriageway on Multimap, and thought that would be a nightmare at commuting times?

Thanks for all your info - much appreciated. Keep it coming please
YHPM
Old 04 April 2007, 10:04 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Thanks again guys.