Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Fecking Northampton - Parking this time!

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2001, 04:26 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northampton Borough Council have found another way of taxing the motorist - just about ALL of the parking in Northampton town is NOW Pay & Display - they have employed extra traffic wardens (eugh!) and are helping their coffers to swell by nicking everyone - The revinue used to go to the Police - Now to the Council (so i am told).

Smart move NBC - i won't bother with town centre any more i can get most of the things i need at the local retail parks or out of town supermmarkets. The town is already struggling to fight the out of town devvelopments and there are more vacant shops every week. Doing this will only make it worse, more shops will close and the town centre will 'die' it will become vandalised, run down and empty.
I cannot belive the stupidity of the local councilors - they cannot see past the end of their noses - F**K me, i am no town planner and even i can see what the consequencies will be.

Anyway

As far as Northampton goes - watch for the speed cameras and be careful where you park!

God, this county is starting to really suck!

Rant over

Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 10 July 2001).]
Old 10 July 2001, 04:36 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Erm, but if you didn't park illegally..

Or am I the only one who checks that they're allowed to park where they are? (Having falling victim to cowboy clampers in the past)
Old 10 July 2001, 04:42 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Talking

Fecking Northampton - is that a new service from Tyres Northampton for the, erm, discerning customer?

Good to see that NBC are doing their utmost to put people off the centre. The local traders must be so pleased!
Old 10 July 2001, 04:44 PM
ca
Scooby Regular

Paul,

I fI were you, I would write to the expensive HiFi shop (or somesuch) you usually shop at, CCing the Chief Executive of the council and the local newspaper, detailing why you won't be shopping there in future.

It'll take you 15 minutes and might get a result!

Positive action at work!

C
Old 10 July 2001, 04:52 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

David
this is not a case of parking illegally - they have effectively 'removed' all of the free spaces every space is now P&D and the council now gets the revinue - so what do they do - Take on more traffic wardens! Northampton already has one of the highest Council Tax rates and we get so little for it - the head of the Labour council was removed recently for allegedly being on the fiddle.

It is wrong
We vote them in, we trust them with our council tax money and they find ways of using this money to extort more from us.
This is so wrong it should be illegal.
They will kill off the town centre,
they will lose people their jobs when the shops shut, they will loose revinue from rent/rates, etc and they will then need to make it up via tax increases.

Just off to buy a can of petrol, matches nick some empty milk bottles and a tee shirt to rip into lillte strips and pay a visit to the council offices - frying tonite!
Old 10 July 2001, 04:55 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Paul Habgood:
<B>David
this is not a case of parking illegally - they have effectively 'removed' all of the free spaces every space is now P&D and the council now gets the revinue[/quote]

So given you're aware of this, you'll know to make sure you pay wherever you park. Job done.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR><B>We vote them in[/quote]

I bloody didn't !!
Old 11 July 2001, 01:07 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

I live in a small town in East Sussex. We have free parking in all car parks. Every now and then the borough council moot the idea of introducing pay and display, but residents and shopkeepers get steamed up about it and they back down.

It is such a killer for local shops.

Dave
Old 11 July 2001, 01:13 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Ca - Nice one - just e-mailed the letters page in the Chron & Echo.

Paul
Old 11 July 2001, 02:02 PM
ca
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Paul Habgood:
<B>Ca - Nice one - just e-mailed the letters page in the Chron & Echo.

Paul[/quote]

Paul - Don't forget to post a link here, if you get your name in print.

C