Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Image Copyright law? anyone know about it?

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2007, 08:06 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Image Copyright law? anyone know about it?

A company has recently set up a website selling products that are the same as the ones on one of my online websites (which I dont mind) BUT they have copied my photo images directly from my website!

How can I go about getting them to remove them?

Will they have to pay me for using them?

I dont want people to think I am associated with other companies as it will affect my reputation if (and when) they mess up! I also spent a lot of time and hard work getting the photos perfect.
Old 02 April 2007, 08:09 PM
Minitrue
BANNED

Location: The Ministry of Truth. War is Peace: Freedom is Slavery: Ignorance is Strength

Threaten their ISP.
Old 02 April 2007, 08:24 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Who is the copyright holder? Not knowing the circumstances, it could be the photographer. Make sure all Rights are assigned to you (a simple letter stating that you are the sole copyright holder is all it takes) then tell them to stop. An email will do, but make sure you're clear and firm.

If that doesn't work, then a recorded delivery letter from a solicitor to a postal address, is the next step.

If that doesn't work, it gets tricky and potentially costly. Your legals will advise.

Good luck,

Richard.
Old 02 April 2007, 09:03 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

The images belong to the photographer which is me!

I have the original full size files they only have croped 50kb jpegs.

I do have copyright notice on the bottom of every page but they obviously dont care about stealing other peoples work, im contacting a solicitor first thing in the morning as I have only just found out about it tonight.

Can I contact there ISP? Shall I get a copy of the letter sent to the ISP legal department as they are partly responsible?
Old 02 April 2007, 09:36 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Before you start getting all shirty with them and involving solicitors which will end up costing thousands (potentially) if it goes to court, have you asked them nicely to remove said images first???
Old 02 April 2007, 11:28 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Step 1: Find out if they've copied the photos or are just linking to them on your site. If the latter, rename the ones on your site and replace the files they're linking to with something "appropriate"
Old 03 April 2007, 06:54 AM
Rhana
Scooby Regular

I had a similar problem with a mission statement on a website. I was in the same position that I didn't want to be associated with the other people as this would have ruined the reputation that we had spent 6 years to build up. (the other people were 5 miles down the road which made it even worse)

Speak to or e-mail them nicely and ask them to remove them photos stating the reasons why you believe they should be removed. Don't be nasty because it just gets peoples backs up

Give them 14 days. Find out who their ISP is and look in the terms and conditions of the ISP. There will undoubtably be something about copying and copyright or intellectual property

Contact them again quoting the terms and conditions of their ISP and inform them that if they do not remove the offending material you will report them to their ISP. Again give them a time limit but this time tell them. Again don't threaten them

After your time period is up if they haven't removed the offending material contact their ISP giving them all the details and hopefully they will help

I only got to stage 2. I think most people just think they can get away with it and no one will notice. Once you have explained to them that what they are doing is wrong they should remove the photos.

Oh and you will get someone on saying "get a hacker and take their website down" well that's great until they get a hacker and take your site down. Its just stupid advice. Most people are reasonable

Good luck

Andy
Old 03 April 2007, 01:08 PM
weasel_uk
Scooby Regular

Had the same. Lock, stock copying of my own images from my website and even trying to sell them on e-bay, mugs, t-shirts, in their adverts, etc.

Your case seems identical to mine. Staright forward theft of images you hold teh copyright to. There is NO excuse.

Most of these "business people" are ignorant of copyright laws and think anything on the internet is FREE to use as they wish. Printing copyright statements on every page is pointless to those leeches. They are simply chancers.

I start out with a polite but firm e-mail and after occasionally strong re-iteration I have always had them removed.

There is always more than one company in their chain (Mug printers, E-bay, ISP, trading partners, Magazines, Adverts) and a statement that you will fully target their illegal use of your copyright images through all legal/support channels usually makes the culprit see sense - there is more than just one way to threaten their "business model". Lost sales or suspended e-bay accounts/feedback are more important to them than ignoring any court action.

Good luck.

D.
Old 03 April 2007, 04:50 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the info, Its actually 2 companies that are doing it now.

I have been given the wording by a solicitor so will be typing out the letter tonight, apparently I can charge them for using the images so will be giving them a bill if they dont take them off pretty sharpish. Solicitor said its a clear cut case

weasel_uk have you got an ebay vero account? They soon remove there photos when you do!