Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

DVLA stinging me for £40

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2007, 08:30 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVLA stinging me for £40

I got a lovely letter from the DVLA today..

FAILURE TO RELICENSE VEHICLE.

So I now have a choice.
Pay £40 by the 31/03
Pay £80 by the 28/04

AND arrears of duty @ £29.17

It's been on a SORN since LAST January when it's last tax disc ran out and it's been dumped on the drive all year, as it's not in a road worthy condition.

Apparently they sent me a reminder in Jan to relicense or SORN again, which I didn't receive, so consequently forgot about the old rust bucket.

What I want to do is follow the avenue that I didn't receive the reminder to re SORN...
what do you think my chances are.

I actually fail to see what this charge actually applies to. It's not like i've been driving the bloody thing around all year.
What's the point?? It's been parked harmlessly on my own property and I have to tell the DVLA that, or else I get charged £40. WTF.
If it's not taxed then of course it's off the road.. where the hell else do you people think it is.
Pen pushing for the sake of paperwork.
If you want to do me for not having the thing taxed then by all means catch me driving the bloody thing (which you wont as three of the four tyres are flat )
Bunch of stealth taxing limey good for nothing tossers..
Sorry.

Last edited by Fuzz; 09 March 2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09 March 2007, 09:57 PM
34srm
Scooby Regular

we all no is bullsh*t but you wont get out ov paying it, keep all my cars taxed now its less trouble
Old 09 March 2007, 10:10 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

yeah, it sucks ****....just how this country is. You told them once its SORN, its not like you should have had to tell them that in the first place. You'd think that would be enough, but no, you have to tell them again.

All just to help catch a few ppl who don't pay, and they have millions (ok thousands) of cameras to catch anyway
Old 09 March 2007, 10:14 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Please enlighten me as to how it catches the ones who don't pay? (assuming you mean the tax and not the fine)

Surely if you are a ******, you will just SORN it and then carry on driving it as normal?

Andy
Old 09 March 2007, 10:24 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Bit of advise here.

now i'm not sure about the situation today but around 18 months ago i was fined 25 quid plus arrears. truth was i'd been on holiday came back and sat on my fat lazy **** thinking i't will do next week.

anyway gets a fine, so i got taxed straight away and sent them a cheque for fine along with a bullsh1t grovelling letter explaining why i had not taxed vehicle (i think i said granny had died or something)

anyway i swear i got a letter back off them along with my un cashed cheque saying they had reviewed it and under the circumstances felt that they would not fine me on this occasion.

what a feckin result
Old 09 March 2007, 10:28 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

I don't want to tax the bloody thing.
All I want to do is leave it on the drive as it has been, since the tax ran out last year.
But no, I have to fill in a form to say it's in exactly the same place / state it was in last year.
Did they forget that I told them a year ago it was off the road.

Andy
Old 09 March 2007, 10:32 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
Please enlighten me as to how it catches the ones who don't pay? (assuming you mean the tax and not the fine)

Surely if you are a ******, you will just SORN it and then carry on driving it as normal?

Andy
Andy,

Yeah they can do this but run the risk of getting court with the licence reader vans scattered about.

I don't see why they don't scrap it all together and bang it on fuel duty, it would only be a couple of pence more and the whole admin thing with DVLA would be saved.

Damian.
Old 09 March 2007, 10:38 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Whether it is simply un-taxed or SORNED they run the risk of getting caught either way.

Why do you need to SORN the thing is my point here??
It serves no purpose.

Oh hang on, yes it does...
When they conveniently forget to send me the reminder a year after SORNing it. they are then allowed to thieve £40 - £80 quid from me even though it hasn't turned a wheel in over 12 months.

Andy
Old 09 March 2007, 11:08 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Thats it. SORN rules have nothing to do with cracking down on untaxed cars and have everything to do with making peoples live a little harder by increasing meaningless paperwork and allowing them to catch a load of £40`s when people fall foul of the stupid rules.

Im currently disputing a fine thats been issued for a car I sold about 2 years ago. I went through this nonsense last years and it was all dropped and they said they had updated their records, but here it is again this year.
I wrote back explaining the situation.
They wrote me a letter saying they are going to write to me about it. WTF?
Old 10 March 2007, 07:24 AM
MiniShaz
Scooby Regular

Location: In the village where the 102 yr old woman still drives

It's been on a SORN since LAST January when it's last tax disc ran out and it's been dumped on the drive all year, as it's not in a road worthy condition.
Are you that pikey that lives down my road???? They've had a car on their drive for over a year, complete with flat tyres. It's a nice street we live on apart from their house and car.

Why not just get rid?
Old 10 March 2007, 07:33 AM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

The point of SORN is that you provide them with written evidence that you know the car is not taxed.

Makes it impossible to wriggle out of it when the camera vans catch you driving untaxed.
(and they make some easy cash when you forget to reSORN of course)
Old 10 March 2007, 03:31 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MiniShaz
Are you that pikey that lives down my road???? They've had a car on their drive for over a year, complete with flat tyres. It's a nice street we live on apart from their house and car.

Why not just get rid?
I'm no Pikey
I could probably get 20 cars on my drive if I needed, so the one Rangerover doesn't stand out like a sore thumb.
It's a project I haven't got round to starting yet, at the time, the price it was offered at was too good to miss.

Andy
Old 10 March 2007, 03:37 PM
stressymare
Scooby Regular

I'm no Pikey
I could probably get 20 cars on my drive if I needed, so the one Rangerover doesn't stand out like a sore thumb.
It's a project I haven't got round to starting yet, at the time, the price it was offered at was too good to miss.

Andy
send me the form Andy

ill fill it in for you

Old 10 March 2007, 07:09 PM
bobsabuilder
Scooby Regular

I had the idiots send a reminder for one of my vans to an old address even though I'd notified them 6 months earlier and had my new address on the V5! I didn't realise the tax had expired as the vehicle was off road at a mates garage after he'd put the wrong fuel in and was fixing it.

When I got the van back 2 months later and realised it had expired I went and taxed it, no problem doing that.

A year later I discover that I have a CCJ on my credit file (only found out as I got a free credit report)

After some digging it turns out that the DVLA had been writing to me at my OLD address and had fined me £80, then when I hadn't paid it they had gone to court and won a CCJ against me - All without me having any idea that this was happening!
Still not got it sorted out with them and still have that CCJ in my name.
I'm refusing to pay on the grounds that THEY messed up NOT me 'cos if they had sent the reminder to the correct address I would have taxed it in time.

They won't budge on the matter and neither will I.
The CCJ hasn't effected me one bit so **** em they can whistle for their money