Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dealer being a git? And I'm not naming them!

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2007, 11:18 AM
406dude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dealer being a git? And I'm not naming them!

Hi All,

wanted some discussion on this - can see the dealer/manufacturer's point of view, but think they are being a bit slippery. Won't mention marque or dealer to keep Webmaster happy!!

Basically have a car approaching end of warranty period (20,000 miles, nearly 3 years old). Last week whilst driving, the brakes started making an awful noise and we feared that it was unsafe to drive so drove to nearest garage where a stuck caliper was diagnosed - pads and discs screwed so replaced at cost of £160. Manufacturer refusing to refund any part of this saying the car should have been towed to nearest dealer (not an option as we would have been left carless - a repair needed to be effected there and then, not a week later).

Spoke to manufacturer today where they spelt all this out, and even said pads and discs are wear and tear - I nearly tore the ******* head off! Pads to the backing and discs severely scored, I don't think so in 20,000 miles! Dealer won't do anything saying it will leave them out of pocket.

Personally, I feel that at least a contribution should be made - they would have had to replace them anyway! Trying to expain customer retention to both dealer and manufacturer has proved fruitless.

What are your experiences with this type of situation?

Many thanks,

Tim

Old 26 February 2007, 11:23 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

You can easily screw a set of discs and pads in 20,000 miles. Its entirely possible go through a set of discs in 5k depending on driving style. That is why they are consumable items under normal circumstances.

If the reason for their failure was because of a fault of another component that is under warranty, then you can try and recover your costs. From what you have said, one disc should be knackered from the calliper problem, the other should have been fine.

You will need those damaged discs to use as evidence to show them that the fault existed. You will have to show that one disc is ok, whereas the other is unreasonably worn due to a fault, and you should therefore be compensated.
Old 26 February 2007, 11:26 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I don't think I've ever had a set of pads (front or rear) last 20k miles.

I'm also surprised that you didn't notice something amiss before the pads were totally worn down.
Old 26 February 2007, 11:31 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

If the caliper was stuck then towing it would have given the same problems as driving it.

I would say get a letter from the garage that repaired the brakes in the first place
Old 26 February 2007, 11:32 AM
406dude
Scooby Regular

yeah, we have the parts, and it is pretty clear what has happened.

Plus this isn't really the type of car you would expect to see hooning around town centres!!
Old 26 February 2007, 11:34 AM
406dude
Scooby Regular

Also, I'm rarely in the car so didn't notice until it was too late....cough women cough
Old 26 February 2007, 11:35 AM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Originally Posted by 406dude
Hi All,

wanted some discussion on this - can see the dealer/manufacturer's point of view, but think they are being a bit slippery. Won't mention marque or dealer to keep Webmaster happy!!

Basically have a car approaching end of warranty period (20,000 miles, nearly 3 years old). Last week whilst driving, the brakes started making an awful noise and we feared that it was unsafe to drive so drove to nearest garage where a stuck caliper was diagnosed - pads and discs screwed so replaced at cost of £160. Manufacturer refusing to refund any part of this saying the car should have been towed to nearest dealer (not an option as we would have been left carless - a repair needed to be effected there and then, not a week later).

Spoke to manufacturer today where they spelt all this out, and even said pads and discs are wear and tear - I nearly tore the ******* head off! Pads to the backing and discs severely scored, I don't think so in 20,000 miles! Dealer won't do anything saying it will leave them out of pocket.

Personally, I feel that at least a contribution should be made - they would have had to replace them anyway! Trying to expain customer retention to both dealer and manufacturer has proved fruitless.

What are your experiences with this type of situation?

Many thanks,

Tim

Tim,

If both front sets of pads and discs screwed, then you'll be lucky to be compensated as its wear an tear.

Unless :

A) At last service the dealer didn't point out to you that pads unlikely to make it to next scheduled service

and/or

B) Brake pad wear indicator not working to alert you to the problem.

in which case you'll have a good case.

Calipers sieze from time to time, more so in winter due to the wet/cold/road salt conditions. But if both sets of fronts worn, the siezed caliper hasn't caused it.
Old 26 February 2007, 11:42 AM
406dude
Scooby Regular

I'm not very good at this am I

Just offside front disc and pads - nearside fine.
Old 26 February 2007, 11:59 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 406dude
Also, I'm rarely in the car so didn't notice until it was too late....cough women cough
Nuff said.

Especially as it was only one side.

An ex once drove a car of mine for miles with the handbrake on. She only realised when another driver alerted her to the smoke coming from the rear. She thought I was being unreasonable for getting annoyed...
Old 15 March 2007, 11:13 PM
406dude
Scooby Regular

ended up kicking up a stink with the manufacturer and got £120 back of the £160 - consider that a result I think!
Old 15 March 2007, 11:15 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I bet £10 it was a Renault.
Old 15 March 2007, 11:22 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Discs used to last about 20K in my old Pug, Scoob goes next week with the same discs that I got it with - done 50K on them, plus what was done before I got it.
Old 16 March 2007, 12:07 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
I bet £10 it was a Renault.
A Renault 406?