Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

If you resign from your job?????

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2007, 09:55 AM
Group N
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you resign from your job?????

If you resign from your job are you entitled to claim money from your employer in lieu of any holiday entitlement still outstanding? Contract of employment does not state anything......

thanks for any advice
Rob
Old 15 February 2007, 10:04 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

I believe you can claim any unusused entitlement (or certainly every company I've worked for has).
Old 15 February 2007, 10:09 AM
tmo
Scooby Regular

You can claim any accrued holidays (i.e. 25 days divided by 12 = 2.083 days per month) but only full months not part of.
And its non taxable
Old 15 February 2007, 10:12 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Pffft beat me to it and said it better
Old 15 February 2007, 10:54 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

You are entitled to be paid for any holidays you are entitled to, but haven't taken, calculated pro-rata for the portion of the year you have worked.

Eg if you've worked 26 weeks of the holiday year, you are entitled to half your annual holiday, less any leave you have taken. (Also, if you've taken holiday in excess of the entitlement to date, it is due for repayment).

I disagree with tmo above, holiday entitlement can (and probably should*) be calculated to the nearest week, and would be taxable (it *might* not be taxable if it was being paid as part of a redundancy payment).

(* - the Working Time Regs reference "portion of the year", no mention of "rounded down to the nearest month").

John.
Old 15 February 2007, 11:06 AM
tmo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john_s
You are entitled to be paid for any holidays you are entitled to, but haven't taken, calculated pro-rata for the portion of the year you have worked.

Eg if you've worked 26 weeks of the holiday year, you are entitled to half your annual holiday, less any leave you have taken. (Also, if you've taken holiday in excess of the entitlement to date, it is due for repayment).

I disagree with tmo above, holiday entitlement can (and probably should*) be calculated to the nearest week, and would be taxable (it *might* not be taxable if it was being paid as part of a redundancy payment).

(* - the Working Time Regs reference "portion of the year", no mention of "rounded down to the nearest month").

John.
my points are taken from the last three contracts of employment i have, and also the contracts i have enforced.
If you are monthly salaried the calculator used is completed periods of employment not part of i.e. full month not days. No employer would pay you .069 of an accrued holiday entitlement for working a single day.

Tax
i was referring to redundancy payment, having read the initial post again it is apparent Group N has resigned, so you are correct john this is not applicable and therefore any payment made would be taxable
Old 15 February 2007, 03:06 PM
Group N
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all replies -

Anyone looking for staff???