Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Remembering workmates who have moved on.

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2007, 03:09 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remembering workmates who have moved on.

I dont mean left,but died. Does anyone work anywhere where old workmates are remembered in any way?
Old 11 February 2007, 04:00 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

A bloke at work who died in an accident was a keen rugby player and was in the works team. For a few years after, the first game of the season was a 'memorial match' and his parents used to turn up and present the trophy afterwards.

I think the team folded in the end due to lack of regular players.
Old 11 February 2007, 05:15 PM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

No, not where I work. A colleague died of cancer...big tribute and massive funeral........but forgotten within the month

Our new computer system even erases all the old hand written information done by her.

C'est la vie
Old 11 February 2007, 07:34 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

we had a bloke called kelvin who did our books
i didnt like him at first i thought he was a big head.
over time he grew more appealling and did everything you asked of him and some more.

he used to spot all the little mistakes, like when the dopey directors would pay someone tWice ot not charge something out like vat
in his spare time he was in the rotary ran a golf society
and was a golf club captain.
he started fellling a little light headed in the office and his knee was hurting him as well so we went for a scan on his knee, they spot the big C on his lungs he paid privately for cancer treatment, because he couldnt wait,
it still got him.

because the books were months behind and the dopey cow, who got his job was hopeless, cashflow really suffered, eventally it ran out of money and went bump.
the go getters all got jobs instantly though, but the hopeless directors didnt
whenever spurs are on i think off him. bloody shame.

one day we were talkin about all the arseholes in the world who are paedos etc and its always the nice people who get **** on.

he said that the reason you dont know of any mongs gettin their come uppance is because you dont know any mongs you only know nice people.

he was a good bloke he was,
Old 11 February 2007, 07:36 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Sorry to **** all over the sentimentality of this thread but hundreds of thousands of people die every year, there is no need to have memorial services unless you are a close relative and even then who really bothers.
Old 12 February 2007, 04:14 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I work on the railway, being an industry where many people spend their entire working lives. There have been a few of the older guys pass away, there is normally a bench or plaque bought for them.

The drivers tend to have a train named after them if they have served many years
Old 12 February 2007, 11:40 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Sorry to **** all over the sentimentality of this thread but hundreds of thousands of people die every year, there is no need to have memorial services unless you are a close relative and even then who really bothers.
You must have been at the back of the queue when they were handing out souls Kiwi!

Les
Old 12 February 2007, 12:06 PM
Seamaster
BANNED

No ....he was first in the queue for a " R soul".
Old 12 February 2007, 12:09 PM
Seamaster
BANNED

Not at work but school. at my first prep school (told you i wasnt a ned !)
we had a teacher called Miss Bliss. She was like a Mother to all of us. Once or twice I have logged onto my old school websites and its amazing the respect she still has over 30 years later. they have a mass for her and many many attend.

Some times people need to be remembered . It reminds us to move forward in life and set the same example .
Old 12 February 2007, 01:24 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I don't think it's just rampant sentimentality at work here. Some people I worked with died and it didn't really bother me either way other than a cursory "oh that was a shame, hope their family are ok" type thought.

But if someone has been very popular and has lots of friends, then it's sometimes appropriate to remember them in a small way. I'm not talking about hiring a cathedral or anything, but if they were active in some work/social circle then they often get something named after them. Whether it's a fishing contest they always entered, football/rugby/cricket trophy they played in, certain bend on a rally stage they always used to marshall at etc etc.