Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2007, 07:45 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FA0 Salsa King

Hi Phil.

Are you able to help with this?

Room size 16x16. Wallpaper already stripped off. Walls have had rewiring done/chased and new sockets so there is some making good to do. Old house so there are some minor cracks in the plaster.
Timber windows that cover almost all of one wall (ie facing the street)
How many days labour would it take prep then wallpaper all the walls (lining them first), paint the windows, ceilings, skirting and door to a good standard?

Sorry if details are vague, but feel free to ask.

Thanks

Deep
Old 01 February 2007, 07:48 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

would you like my opinion?
Old 01 February 2007, 07:50 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gatty
would you like my opinion?
On what?
Old 01 February 2007, 07:51 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

on the cost, i understand salsa maybe a decorator?

i am a plasterer for 12 years done plenty of renovation work.

just trying to help.
Old 01 February 2007, 08:23 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by gatty
on the cost, i understand salsa maybe a decorator?

i am a plasterer for 12 years done plenty of renovation work.

just trying to help.
You'd probably take his cash and then plaster Deep into the wall, you filthy racist you

P.S. Deep : I still owe you that fx volatility figure, I know
Old 01 February 2007, 08:42 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Suresh;6615726]You'd probably take his cash and then plaster Deep into the wall, you filthy racist you

ha ha ha
Old 01 February 2007, 10:31 PM
fieldy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Hi Phil.

Are you able to help with this?

Room size 16x16. Wallpaper already stripped off. Walls have had rewiring done/chased and new sockets so there is some making good to do. Old house so there are some minor cracks in the plaster.
Timber windows that cover almost all of one wall (ie facing the street)
How many days labour would it take prep then wallpaper all the walls (lining them first), paint the windows, ceilings, skirting and door to a good standard?

Sorry if details are vague, but feel free to ask.

Thanks

Deep
4-4 1/2 days

Trending Topics

Old 01 February 2007, 10:54 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Ok Gatty I'd like to know your opinion. I can't make you out though, sometimes you make outrageously racist comments, and then you want to help me out

Have you got multiple personalities?
Old 02 February 2007, 09:12 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
You'd probably take his cash and then plaster Deep into the wall, you filthy racist you

P.S. Deep : I still owe you that fx volatility figure, I know

Too busy making your filthy city boy bonus?
Old 02 February 2007, 10:25 AM
gatty
Scooby Regular

deep, beleive it or not i dont regard myself as racist maybe right of moderate but skin colour dont come into it!

i appologise if i offended you and anyone else with my more spontainious outburts when i get pushed.

With regards to your room, well i recommend that you save a packet on linning and use scrim tape and lafarge fine form on your cracks and carlite bonding on your chasing topped off with the fine form.

Fine form is a great way to renovate bad walls without linning and its a better finish.

to prep a room that size one man could do it in a day and 1/2 aday to sand down the fine form the next day. and in the other 1/2 day paint skirting and doors.

ok allow another half day if someone is on the slow side.

allow 2 tubs of fine form £40 tops

1 bag of carlite bonding £4.50

wall / ceiling paint and satin wood for your archy/skirtings and door.

all the best
Old 02 February 2007, 06:06 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Hi Gatty, no probs. I'm a bit right of centre myself!

Not intending on doing it myself but when the decorators give a quote they say it will take say 8 days and want to charge £x per day.I want to know if they are saying its going to take longer than it is so they can rip me off. So are you saying 5 days or less for a professional to do it?

Thanks

ps are you a tradesman yourself?

Last edited by Deep Singh; 02 February 2007 at 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02 February 2007, 07:42 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Hi Gatty, no probs. I'm a bit right of centre myself!

Not intending on doing it myself but when the decorators give a quote they say it will take say 8 days and want to charge £x per day.I want to know if they are saying its going to take longer than it is so they can rip me off. So are you saying 5 days or less for a professional to do it?

Thanks

ps are you a tradesman yourself?
yes plastering 12 years "traditional" floorscreeds/wet plaster/boring boarding.

8 days!!!! wtf if they charge £10 a day then yes but straight away that tells me there chancers.

2 1/2 days max for one good tradesman whos used to working at pace.

i work the big sites where time is money so i always work flat out, domestic workers tend to have more tea breaks

good luck
Old 02 February 2007, 08:06 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Thanks
Old 04 February 2007, 11:07 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

bttt, because I'd like to get Salsa's opinion on this aswell.
Old 04 February 2007, 05:02 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Just got the info off SJSkyline that you had FAO me, as been at Richards house this weekend.

DeepSingh.. I'll PM you in a bit.

BUT.... I'd would say.. I'm glad we don't let plasterers do the decorating.. its us who have to make their walls look better.

The reason for lining is to give a good surface for the wall paper to be hung on. Taking too much of a chance to paper direct onto just a plastered wall. You do paper direct onto a well prepared/sized* walls (*using a thiner solution of paste on the wall before you paper it, this is to even out the perosity of the surface) when using Blown Vinyl papers.

we're on a job at the mo that w'vebeen on three weeks, two of these weeks were stripping and preping, rubbing down and sizing the wall. also rubbed woodwork down. Its a big staircase and last week two of us have LINED the walls. I pasted while dad lined.. we've still not finished it yet.. we've had to leave where the leccy is chasing out (he couldn't start till the 5th -tomorrow-) and the rads need removing so we can strip and get behind them.

getting back to it. the wall paper is costing about 80pounds a roll!! looking at 32 rolls at the price and they'll be another 20 rolls of some other paper (that will be a bit cheaper) that needs to be confirmed later this week. Lining goes without saying when dealing with quality wall papers and coverings!

Old 04 February 2007, 05:14 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by salsa-king
Just got the info off SJSkyline that you had FAO me, as been at Richards house this weekend.

DeepSingh.. I'll PM you in a bit.

BUT.... I'd would say.. I'm glad we don't let plasterers do the decorating.. its us who have to make their walls look better.

The reason for lining is to give a good surface for the wall paper to be hung on. Taking too much of a chance to paper direct onto just a plastered wall. You do paper direct onto a well prepared/sized* walls (*using a thiner solution of paste on the wall before you paper it, this is to even out the perosity of the surface) when using Blown Vinyl papers.

we're on a job at the mo that w'vebeen on three weeks, two of these weeks were stripping and preping, rubbing down and sizing the wall. also rubbed woodwork down. Its a big staircase and last week two of us have LINED the walls. I pasted while dad lined.. we've still not finished it yet.. we've had to leave where the leccy is chasing out (he couldn't start till the 5th -tomorrow-) and the rads need removing so we can strip and get behind them.

getting back to it. the wall paper is costing about 80pounds a roll!! looking at 32 rolls at the price and they'll be another 20 rolls of some other paper (that will be a bit cheaper) that needs to be confirmed later this week. Lining goes without saying when dealing with quality wall papers and coverings!

lol, semi skilled painter telling a time served plasterer

i could rip off the walls back to brick re plaster and paint in 4 days on my own.

as regards to quality, i am a member of the plasterers federation, my work is a1 i can assure you.

if you can **** you can paint and i mean that , the way you make money is pissing faster.

if you would had come onto this post with a bit more respect for a "traditional" plasterer then maybe i would had refrazed my post a bit, as you come straight out with an insult what more can you expect.

i have seen revovation projects over 5mk mark using methods that supersead old techniques.

maybe its time to move on.
Old 04 February 2007, 05:30 PM
Seamaster
BANNED

So in four days you ar expecting the render ,hardwall or bonding to dry out, thats after you have skimmed it as well? then paint it?? and what about drying times?? or is it just rush rush rush??

also a good painter is not easy to find . One that understands all the different stages and keeps to them, rather than a 1 x multi primer and 1 x top coat type painters. Good painters know how to make paint, Linseed etc. paint using brushes only for high quality classic finish or HVLP for ultra flat. Rollers dont even belong !!

Dont talk down a good painter. they can earn £160 + cash a day everyday when clients value them/
Old 04 February 2007, 05:38 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Seamaster
So in four days you ar expecting the render ,hardwall or bonding to dry out, thats after you have skimmed it as well? then paint it?? and what about drying times?? or is it just rush rush rush??

also a good painter is not easy to find . One that understands all the different stages and keeps to them, rather than a 1 x multi primer and 1 x top coat type painters. Good painters know how to make paint, Linseed etc. paint using brushes only for high quality classic finish or HVLP for ultra flat. Rollers dont even belong !!

Dont talk down a good painter. they can earn £160 + cash a day everyday when clients value them/
you right to a point .

he talked down to me (did u read his post?)

dab and skim i 1 day that method.

£160 a day i was earning that 8 years ago.

i would and do respect anyone that works let alone trades men who i respect even more.

not looking for a row but i am **** hot at what i do and i know exactly what i can do in a day,

i tell you what foget this post because it looks like you want a scrap about it.

and more to the point i am grafting early tomorrow i shift about 35-40 bags of hardwall a day on my own, so i dont wanna row about somthing i know 100% about.

just putting another veiw across and other methods. trying to help.
Old 04 February 2007, 06:17 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Nevermind all this rubbish.

Salsa-King - get those pictures of Amanda up
Old 04 February 2007, 07:20 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by MooseRacer
Nevermind all this rubbish.

Salsa-King - get those pictures of Amanda up
amanda went years ago, I'm now married to Jo... a lot better

Gatty, maybe thats where I must be going wrong.. not time served!

Seamaster, your right, we were taking about this sort of thing on friday, father/som talk about how packet paste has come on so long and i asked when the last time he used hot water mix paste, we were taught about it at college but theres never been any point in using it with the SOLVITE stuff out now... then i got the talk about when he was in his apprenticeship they made paste out of flour etc and he could still do it now, then went onto making paint from scratch... lead based!!
oh how we've moved on.
Old 04 February 2007, 07:43 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by salsa-king
amanda went years ago, I'm now married to Jo... a lot better

Gatty, maybe thats where I must be going wrong.. not time served!

Seamaster, your right, we were taking about this sort of thing on friday, father/som talk about how packet paste has come on so long and i asked when the last time he used hot water mix paste, we were taught about it at college but theres never been any point in using it with the SOLVITE stuff out now... then i got the talk about when he was in his apprenticeship they made paste out of flour etc and he could still do it now, then went onto making paint from scratch... lead based!!
oh how we've moved on.
each to there own eh?

you way is old and proven and at the end of it its still only linning paper only good for painting or one application of wall paper when you change your mind you have to start from scratch.

the way i suggest is quicker and more versatile sniff sniff

hay, wtf . its sunday night time for cider and chatting to my missus now the kids are in bed.
Old 04 February 2007, 07:45 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

whether you do it your way or not, if your hanging wall paper you'll still line it first.... as thats how its done.
Old 04 February 2007, 10:06 PM
Seamaster
BANNED

[QUOTE=gatt

i tell you what foget this post because it looks like you want a scrap about it.

and more to the point i am grafting early tomorrow i shift about 35-40 bags of hardwall a day on my own, so i dont wanna row about somthing i know 100% about.

just putting another veiw across and other methods. trying to help.[/QUOTE]

35 bags and more a day of hardwall is some work for sure. do you do "lime" work " etc ??

and at the going rate you wont be earning much for long .... The Poles have arrived and they are 100% going to take over the work. get it whilst you can !!

But for agood painter to end up with £160.00 a day he will be earning far far far far more than most guys here !!
Old 04 February 2007, 10:09 PM
Seamaster
BANNED

well ones thingts for sure gatty , your confident !
Old 04 February 2007, 10:26 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

ask DeepSingh about hiring 'cheap' portugese labour!! lol, he could write a book.... it would be a best seller in the horror section of waterstones!!!