Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

St Johns Ambulance

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2007, 03:45 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default St Johns Ambulance

Just had a woman at the door asking if i would like to set up a Direct debit to St Johns Ambulance at approx £80 per year to assist the NHS in responding to 999 calls in our area.She said in the event that the NHS ambulance was delayed they would have people in the area who could respond quicker until an ambulance arrived..any thoughts .. is it the thin end of the wedge

Last edited by powerman1; 01 February 2007 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 01 February 2007, 03:48 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I thought that we already paid taxes that covered emergencies like this and this should not be the realm of the St Johns Ambulance brigade.

Yes, this is the thin end of the wedge and it is being shoved up our backsides!
Old 01 February 2007, 04:33 PM
kend
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerman1
Just had a woman at the door asking if i would like to set up a Direct debit to St Johns Ambulance at approx £80 per year to assist the NHS in responding to 999 calls in our area.She said in the event that the NHS ambulance was delayed they would have people in the area who could respond quicker until an ambulance arrived..any thoughts .. is it the thin end of the wedge
Sounds a wee bit dodgy.

Some ambualnce services do commision SJA (West Mids do) to transport some low priority cases to hospital - to free up front line crews for the genuine emergency stuff. When this is done it is funded by the ambulance service concerned.
Old 01 February 2007, 06:09 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

No. it's quite a good cause. I think they are called "first responders" or something like that and they respond to life threatening situations that require quick intervention. for example, someone with a difibrillator in you immediate neighbourhood could easily save a life if they were on site in 5 minutes as opposed to 10 minute for an ambulance.
Old 01 February 2007, 06:10 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Latest News from St. John Ambulance
Old 01 February 2007, 06:38 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Stuff that! Up here in St Helens (land of the gods) the town is rife with paramedics who drive sporty estate cars doused in yellow and green... They are the rapid response vehicles which I believe my taxes help pay for.

I wouldnt pay an extra £80 a year for 4 wrinklies running round with a stretcher desperately trying to beat the speed and prowess of the emergency paramedics

Not necessarily dodgy, put totally preposterous!
Old 03 February 2007, 03:40 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Stuff that! Up here in St Helens (land of the gods) the town is rife with paramedics who drive sporty estate cars doused in yellow and green... They are the rapid response vehicles which I believe my taxes help pay for.

I wouldnt pay an extra £80 a year for 4 wrinklies running round with a stretcher desperately trying to beat the speed and prowess of the emergency paramedics

Not necessarily dodgy, put totally preposterous!
You might feel differently if they saved your life though surely?

Les

Trending Topics

Old 03 February 2007, 04:32 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Got my mean head on now so i am not going to go with it....estimate i have fourty years left times £96.0 a year =£3640= couple of good holidays
Old 03 February 2007, 05:04 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by Leslie
You might feel differently if they saved your life though surely?

Les
I guess my point is there are a plethora, nay, a fleet, nay an army of emergency paramedics who leap majestically from emergency to emergency...
St Johns ambulance are not required for these types of emergency. They are excellent at crowd events etc ...
4 weeks ago, my father in law (to be) requried an emergency care from an ambulance type person. On our way there Mrs Abdabz (to be) rang through. I did my high speed trip across town to get to his house and within 6 minutes, the ambulance and a paramedic car had beaten us there
Soooo I'll keep that £80 in my sky rocket and use if for cigs and booze
Old 03 February 2007, 07:40 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
I guess my point is there are a plethora, nay, a fleet, nay an army of emergency paramedics who leap majestically from emergency to emergency...
St Johns ambulance are not required for these types of emergency. They are excellent at crowd events etc ...
4 weeks ago, my father in law (to be) requried an emergency care from an ambulance type person. On our way there Mrs Abdabz (to be) rang through. I did my high speed trip across town to get to his house and within 6 minutes, the ambulance and a paramedic car had beaten us there
Soooo I'll keep that £80 in my sky rocket and use if for cigs and booze
That may be the case where you live but I'm sure there are plenty of areas where it could make a difference.
Old 04 February 2007, 08:02 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

so on top of the millions squandered by the govstapo on saving the NHS...

private firms want you to cough up to potentially save your life....

says it all really....

nothing to do with certain health authorities adopting the rest break policy (another stupid EU diktat)

which has already started claiming lives....

what next tax on air?

Mart
Old 04 February 2007, 11:05 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I agree with what you say generally Abdabz about the responsibility of the ambulance services, but nevertheless I think St. Johns do a good job and could well make the difference at times.

Les
Old 04 February 2007, 09:29 PM
Tuts bird
Scooby Regular

We (NWAS) use St John Ambulance for low grade emergencys and patient transport, more so at peak times like over the winter. Their services are paid for by our ambulance service.

We (NWAS) have a first responder team which are utilised in areas that have limited ambulance cover (rural).

If you want to fork out for a private ambulance service then that's up to you but don't let them persuade you that it will make all the difference in an emergency.

What would make a difference is the following:
People not phoning when they have a cold or have had a cough for 3 weeks
People not phoning who fell over but have no problem walking/weren't knocked out/no obvious injury just want to get "checked out"
People not phoning when their mate goes out and gets rat arsed but won't take responsibility for themselves
People not phoning with toothache
People not phoning at 3am because they can't sleep
GPs actually going out to see people who just need some antibiotics for a water infection

And the meal break thing - we should be paid to be available and if they won't pay us then we won't be working (we're not insured for a start), it's all up to management, not crews decision. All of the stories that appear in the media state that there is no guarantee the patient would have survived had a nearer vehicle attended. We work 12-14 hour shifts going from job to job which can be both physically and mentally exhausting. We need a break every now and then. Those people who call for the reasons listed above are what is really killing the patients, not us grabbing a quick butty.
Old 04 February 2007, 10:30 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tuts bird
We (NWAS) use St John Ambulance for low grade emergencys and patient transport, more so at peak times like over the winter. Their services are paid for by our ambulance service.

We (NWAS) have a first responder team which are utilised in areas that have limited ambulance cover (rural).

If you want to fork out for a private ambulance service then that's up to you but don't let them persuade you that it will make all the difference in an emergency.

What would make a difference is the following:
People not phoning when they have a cold or have had a cough for 3 weeks
People not phoning who fell over but have no problem walking/weren't knocked out/no obvious injury just want to get "checked out"
People not phoning when their mate goes out and gets rat arsed but won't take responsibility for themselves
People not phoning with toothache
People not phoning at 3am because they can't sleep
GPs actually going out to see people who just need some antibiotics for a water infection

And the meal break thing - we should be paid to be available and if they won't pay us then we won't be working (we're not insured for a start), it's all up to management, not crews decision. All of the stories that appear in the media state that there is no guarantee the patient would have survived had a nearer vehicle attended. We work 12-14 hour shifts going from job to job which can be both physically and mentally exhausting. We need a break every now and then. Those people who call for the reasons listed above are what is really killing the patients, not us grabbing a quick butty.
Old 04 February 2007, 10:42 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tuts bird

wasnt knocking your meal break, i was having a pop at the authorities who introduced it... whatever happened to common sense?

re gp at 3 in the morning for anti bio,s... depends on what, ive called a gp out at 3 am to look at our littlest, and was perscribed antibio,s ... given some on the spot

prhaps moving penecillin to an over the counter drug, would ease some of the false calls

Mart