Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

An idea on how to stop the trolls

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2007, 05:21 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default An idea on how to stop the trolls

When registering why refuse anyone with a Hotmail/Yahoo etc free account?

A few other forums are doing this now, and it does seem to work
Old 21 January 2007, 05:27 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But other accounts are as essy to set-up are they not?

I would like to see all multiple accounts deleted and people made to run just one, I only have the one account .......... but others who don't have the ***** to post as themselves use phantom accounts they set up moons ago for that very purpose.

Not sure trolls are a big problem on here, are they?
Old 21 January 2007, 05:29 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Not sure trolls are a big problem on here, are they?
Love it Pete
Old 21 January 2007, 05:31 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive used a hotmail acct for years and have been a member on here for a few as well . Not all of us are trolls! Now, deleting multiple accts, that has my vote
Old 21 January 2007, 05:31 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

HEY!!!!

I've just clocked up 20,000 posts!!!
Old 21 January 2007, 05:35 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Why not install a ****-o-meter mod, that way all the posts that lets say reach an 8 on the ****-o-meter scale are automatically deleted.

That way lewis's 20,000 posts would be dwindled down to about erm.... zero?
Old 21 January 2007, 05:37 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

it would put pete in a minus figure, so he would have to make lots and lots of positive posts, to get his count back up to 0
Old 21 January 2007, 05:39 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

how about a points system....... maybe not

dont think you'll ever stop it to be honest
Old 21 January 2007, 05:40 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I was doing VERY well indeed when people could vote on my posts (the points system) - in fact I became one of the MOST RESPECTED posters!!

So, there you have it, the SN members actually would rather keep me than lose me .... anyway, this post is about Trolls, not me
Old 21 January 2007, 05:40 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

dont know why they dont allow you to only register one account per email address, like the forum settings are as default

Or maybe this new update they are doing they could merge all the accounts that are *known* to be the same user, ie by email address
Old 21 January 2007, 05:41 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I was doing VERY well indeed when people could vote on my posts (the points system) - in fact I became one of the MOST RESPECTED posters!!

So, there you have it, the SN members actually would rather keep me than lose me .... anyway, this post is about Trolls, not me
Bribing users doesnt count tho Pete
Old 21 January 2007, 05:44 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
Bribing users doesnt count tho Pete
How VERY DARE you!!!
Old 21 January 2007, 05:45 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Old 21 January 2007, 05:52 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Im sure the mods/admin know who has duplicate accounts, its not difficult to check a posters ip address.
Old 21 January 2007, 05:55 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boro
Im sure the mods/admin know who has duplicate accounts, its not difficult to check a posters ip address.
Thats true .... but you do get the odd 'Husband and Wife' teams using the same PC for different accounts.

But I favour a strict clampdown on multiple accounts .... UncleBuck (for example) would be in DEEP trouble then!!
Old 21 January 2007, 05:57 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Yes but with the advent of NAT you could legitimately have, for example, 3 posters with 5 accounts between them all having the same IP address so it's not as easy as it first appears.
Old 21 January 2007, 05:57 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

SN allows wives on here too?

Man, id stop that also!

Two birds, one stone, lol.
Old 21 January 2007, 05:58 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

ahh but it looks bigger - which must please the sponsers
Old 21 January 2007, 06:04 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

This is ALL down to the moderators. people report threads/users, they judge whether to punish them or not.

It's a fine line, keeping over-moderation down VS not allowing good debate etc. Places like s2ki, pistonheads etc. have the moderation thereabouts right, SN does not. There's also the profile of the typical owner of a scoob as opposed to other car types. A scoob will attract far more insecure macho types and this is reflected by some people on the forums. However, on the whole most people here are a-ok but the moderation isn't punitive enough. That in itself is fine but it will lead to a different forum/bbs experience than certain other sites.
Old 21 January 2007, 06:05 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Yep, and occasionally 'leak' them to normal users

but then you can hide your ip (although vBulletin has an addon that will remove the 'proxy' address and show the real originating ip address)

Ip addressess alone are not enough, look at a large corporation that potentially there could be a few SN users who appear to originate from the same ip address, rare but not uncommon

Also some ISP's have transparent proxies so therefore multiple users could appear to come from the same address all legitimately too
Old 21 January 2007, 06:12 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I think we should have a multiple account amnesty ...... 2 weeks to declare your multiple accounts or be NAMED AND SHAMED!!!
Old 21 January 2007, 06:12 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX

Firstly, hardly any trolling takes place on this forum so it's an issue not worth addressing. There are some people who may have ideas that dont conform to the majority; for example I think people who try to get off with speeding fines are, in general, w@nkers...

Secondly, I am a member of a site which does this refusal of new members from hotmail/yahoo accounts... Well I dont want to register my work email address so it would have to be my yahoo account...
In the end I had a to p155 about registering an email account on my brothers domain wotsit just to use this other forum

The only way to get rid of trolls is to use the very effective "ignore" option. I havent read any of moses tripe for months
Old 21 January 2007, 06:26 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX

no offence moley, but ti think thats not fair. why should i get an email account i have to pay for in many cases, just to use this forum. i think youll agree im not a troll, only have one account etc, but i always use my hotmail account for any email requirement, mainly as its the most reliable one to have.

as said no offence intended.

andy
Old 21 January 2007, 07:59 PM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

oh come on!!!!!
ps lewis/ds thingy troll is laughable
Old 23 January 2007, 12:59 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I don't think it is worth bothering about. Everyone recognises them for what they are and its quite satisfying to hand them the perfect squelch at times.

Les
Old 23 January 2007, 04:37 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Disabling the use of free email accounts for new registrations might be a good first move, however there are a lot of free providers out there so a game of chase would ensue. As for being forced to pay for an email address, some, if not most ISPs, for example plusnet, will give you not only a chunk of webspace but also an email address when you sign up with them, thus it's not a problem.

Killing the majority of multi-id accounts would be another bonus too. Those who aren't hiding behind proxy servers, for example, family members using the same machine with different accounts, would be easy to exclude. If they happen to use a proxy server, well, I'm sure if the account was inadvertently disabled an email to the webmaster explaining you're not a troll would possibly get it reinstated.

Part of the problem could be that people feed the trolls, plus they do not report them, which should be done. The other part is mods need to act on what is being reported, both swiftly and decisively. Have a look at how many mods there are and try and work out how many of them are actually actively moderating threads/posts. You might find that there are a few who actually don't do much moderating, which I think could be part of the problem.
Add more mods? perhaps, but if they aren't going to do the job, what's the point. It's a thankless task, that's for sure, plus most of us do have lives outside of this little community and that tends to take precedence, and rightly so. Might be different if you were paid for being a mod, perhaps not.

Personally I think mods should have more power, if they don't already. Having just a couple of people (Shaun, Simon and Sammy from what I recall) able to ban users/email address/ip ranges/using other non-mentioned methods, does limit quick action as they tend to be around a little less than the other mods. Guess it depends how much you trust the other mods, and also how much control you wish to relenquish to them. If I have a team of trusted individuals then why not give them the power to run things in your absence and stop people from thinking that you just don't give a damn about the communities complaints, and seemlingy do nothing to prevent the increase of trolls.
Old 23 January 2007, 04:43 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
but then you can hide your ip (although vBulletin has an addon that will remove the 'proxy' address and show the real originating ip address)
Will only work if the proxy adds X-forwarded-for (or similar) headers, which not all do.
Old 23 January 2007, 04:48 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cottonfoo
Will only work if the proxy adds X-forwarded-for (or similar) headers, which not all do.

Yes I know
Old 23 January 2007, 05:29 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

When it comes to proxy servers, I can't think of a valid reason why you'd use an anonymous proxy for posting on a forum from your home computer. If it's a corporate or educational proxy server then it'll probably be correctly configured to forward the appropriate info and thus can be easilly identified as being ok (unless it's being used by a troll of course, which is possible I guess).

Alas no mater what you put in place the sad trolls will no doubt find a way to circumvent things so they can continue being annoying, which is somewhat odd to say the least.