Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cancun

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2007, 09:53 AM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cancun

I'm planning a trip to Cancun, Mexico in the summer with some family members, and wondered if anyone had been, if so what did you make of it?
Old 17 January 2007, 10:16 AM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

I'll let you know...looks like I'm heading off again next month: southern States, Mexico (including Cancun), Chile, Peru, Argentina etc. etc.
Old 17 January 2007, 10:23 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Hi humidity during the day/evening.... fantastic clubs and bars, second to none .....daydreams about dancing on the bar at La Boom......

Nothing like the real mexico of course
Old 17 January 2007, 10:27 AM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Cancun itself - ie the main (can't remember what they call it) 'hotel region' (or summut) looks like Benidorm and is probably hell on earth (with all those members of the great unwashed (£399 for a fortnight all-inclusive Airtours type shell-suited brigade)) - However, there are a couple of nice hotels thrown in to that mix.

I went last year and stayed about 20 minutes south of Cancun itself, at Secrets Excellence - which was a superb all-inclusive, so I can only speak from that experience:

Food, service, rooms, everything were top notch. Meals in the 'French restaurant' would be £150+ a couple here, with great wine as well. In the rooms everything was marble - floors, walls, shower, bathroom, etc.

It's one of the only places I've been to that I would gladly return to...

...oh, and we went to Chichen Itza, which was interesting and cultural and all that - but FOOKING hot!
Old 17 January 2007, 11:19 AM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

i've been there twice now and it's fantastic,went to Chichen Itza and it's the hottest place i've ever been make sure you do the xel ha trip.went in april both times and it was hot so it's going to be even hotter if you go in summer.
Old 17 January 2007, 11:32 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

I went last year all inclusive to Cancun.

Hotel was that good we never really left the site to have a look round
Old 17 January 2007, 12:19 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

fantastic place, we went to just outside the main part of cancun and went all inclusive, however meals at restaraunts are cheap enough so we actually dined out quite a lot at various places. Pubs and clubs are great, remember watching the carling cup final at 8 in the morning at paddy obriens with a massive jug of fosters. Only problem we had was the americans (we went at spring break, bad mistake) I am all up for having a good time, but a lot of the americans are just pretensious ****$ thinking they are it, loudmouthed and arrogant to staff, however they do also tip a bit so seem to get preferrential service
Old 17 January 2007, 12:21 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

meant to add, we are planning on going back next year (plan this year is jamacia) last year was the dominican. The weather is very hot, but what I like is we had rain on one day for about an hour, and it was bone dry within about 30 mins of it stopping.
Chichen Itza is very hot, if you go take plenty of water and a high factor suncream /sunblock
Old 17 January 2007, 08:31 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

if i went back to cancun i would only stay at the moonpalace hotel loads of chat about it on this site have a search
Old 17 January 2007, 08:36 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Hotel was that good we never really left the site to have a look round
remember watching the carling cup final at 8 in the morning at paddy obriens with a massive jug of fosters
Thats what I love about brits, their need to venture to far away lands and explore. You should be added to the greats such as Sir Edmund Hillary, Sir Walter Raleigh, Sir Ranulph Fiennes. They would be so proud.
Old 18 January 2007, 12:12 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Been there twice this year, went to Secrets Excellence (now called Excellence Riviera). Amazing service + food.

Tours:

Xel-Ha (pronounced Shell-Ha) is a great day out, again with all inclusive food, you get snorkel, flippers and life jacket and just mooch around a lagoon and swim with tropical fish. Riviera Maya Mexico Xel-Ha Ecological Water Theme Park

Also went to Delphinus to swim with the dolphins.. chose it because if offered the most time in the smallest groups.. the venue will send a minibus to collect you.

As for MoonPalace, I've heard it's good, but a bit faceless, you know a bit conference-centre like..
Old 18 January 2007, 08:45 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Cool

Originally Posted by wakeboardar
if i went back to cancun i would only stay at the moonpalace hotel loads of chat about it on this site have a search
I went there for 2 weeks 8 years ago. Cracking hotel, lovely food etc. About 20 min taxi ride into downtown Cancun IIRC, double jacuzzi in every room and about a 50% 50% split between Yanks and the Brits, and I think they try to keep both nationalities separate.
Old 21 January 2007, 04:42 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wakeboardar
Stopped off at Moonpalace on the way back from Chicken Pizza - and it was fooking HUUGE. Certainly looked nice in the brochure, but in reality seemed more like an upmarket Butlins - it was so big.... I was tempted to stay there, as I fancied the golf - but in reality it was so hot I'd never have found the inclination to shift my frying *** from the poolside to even think about swinging a driver!

Very, very glad I stayed where I did - which was utterly fantastic... as DB mentioned, Secrets Excellence, now called "Excellence Riviera".
Old 22 January 2007, 08:58 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by MrShades
Certainly looked nice in the brochure, but in reality seemed more like an upmarket Butlins - it was so big....
Strange.
Old 22 January 2007, 09:33 AM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

We were there last summer. To be honest I was expecting it to be little more than a Latino Toremolinos, but I was extremely pleasantly surprised. We stayed in the Royal Sands and had access to the 4 other hotels in the group but hardly used them. We rented a car and did everything we could.

It's not expensive (apart from swimming with dolphins, which was brilliant but cost far too much), it's friendly as anything and it's a fascinating place.

Oh, and getting to release baby turtles back into the sea as part of a conservation programme was brilliant. So was seeing the tarantulas walking down the hard shoulder on the motorway...

It's a big world and we like to see it so we tend not to go back to the same place twice. But if we did then we'd go back there

SB
Old 22 January 2007, 12:30 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Tarantulas!?

Looking to book the trip this week but having difficulty flying at the start of July from Glasgow and choosing a hotel reasonably close to where the action is.
Old 22 January 2007, 01:28 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Yes, tarantulas. It was raining and they came out. Big enough to clearly identify from the outside lane at about 80mph. One at the toll booth on the motorway being investigated by a couple of dogs. They looked far more scared of it than it was of them - they were circling it carefully. It just kept on walking

Never saw any anywhere else, though. I think they just live outside the urban areas where they don't get bothered.

Oh, and try Ek Balam if you want something a little less commercial than Chichen Itza. They only found it fairly recently and you can still climb the steps and so on. Great view from the top of the main temple - all the way across to Chichen Itza about 30 miles away.

SB
Old 22 January 2007, 05:11 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by DavidBrown

Xel-Ha (pronounced Shell-Ha) is a great day out, again with all inclusive food, you get snorkel, flippers and life jacket and just mooch around a lagoon and swim with tropical fish. Riviera Maya Mexico Xel-Ha Ecological Water Theme Park
I second this. Absolutely great day out. I stayed at the big Marriot hotel (5-star!). It was superb.
Old 22 January 2007, 05:34 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

You could also try Playa del Carmen - a few miles south of Cancun.
If you're into diving, Cozumel has some fantastic dives.

I'll second what everybody's said about Chichen Itza - it's seriously hot, especially in August!! And there are mozzies there even during the day. If you're into the Mayan ruins, there are other trips you can do around the Yucatan, although it will involve a lot of time on the bus.