Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone got a Kyosho Nitro Car I need HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2001, 11:06 AM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Cheers for the tips,

Rob I s0dding hope the engines not shagged, already cost me £40 getting the servo and radio replaced

Orbv, There seems plenty of compression there, (specially when it floods )

To be honest I'm really not going to touch it again till Thursday when the pro's have a look at it. I'm clearly doing something wrong as I used nearly a whole tank of fuel yesterday just trying to get it started.. Seems the fuel is just being spat out the exhaust pipe all over the floor.
Last night I got it running for about 1 minute, however as soon as I take off the plug heater it stalls again.

John

[Edited by mega_stream - 12/3/2001 11:55:57 AM]
Old 02 December 2001, 05:22 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Got mine 2nd hand yesterday, looks the nuts, big Scooby body but its been nothing but a pain in de damn ****!
New transmitter and servo later, can't get the fr1cking engine to run for more than a few seconds..Touch the throttle and it stalls, removed the glow plug heater and most of the time it stalls.

I know its probably got something to do with the air/fuel mixture but I'll be buggered if I can get it to run. Spent about 4 hours today pulling the poxy starter, seems to be spitting fuel out the exhaust most of the time its just not firing up.

I'm after some tips or a good web site for help

Cheers

Frustrated John
Old 02 December 2001, 05:45 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi, glad someone else on here has 1. i had 1 until last week when i had the same probs (bought mine secondhand), couldn't get the thing to run properly - adjusted the air/fuel/revs, kiched it a bit then thought bugger it (not literley), sold it 2 days later at £40 loss.
Went out and bought a new one from a proper shop, got it home and guess what - yep wouldn't start. tried for nearley 2 hours then gave up, took it back to the shop and after 20 mins it was running, duff glow plug.

make sure your glow starter is charged up (takes up to 15 hours), take out the glow plug, remove the fuel pipe fron the carb (just pulls off) and pull the starter a few times - this gets rid of the excess fuel. put the fuel pipe back on and the glow plug back in - (not too tight or the engine wont turn properly) and hold the car on its side and the excess fuel will pour out of the exhaust. you should now put the glow start back on and try starting using short sharp pills so you dont break the starter (£17 for a new one), adjusting the fuel needle 1/8 of a turn at a time you should get it running. blip the throttle a couple of times and if it stalls try adjusting the fuel again, basically its all trial and error.
7 of us went out the other night, nice big spotlit carpark and all we seemed to do was try to get them running, when one started the others wouldn't and visa versa, in the end i got my electric one out, nowhere near as fast but it went on all night with a few battery changes.
good luck, when its set up properly it'll be fun - 40-50mph

Rob
Old 02 December 2001, 06:13 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers Rob, I'm not alone then

I do hope it wasn't yours I bought, if theres a duff one going around!

I've had enough of mine today, seem to have spent the entire fr1cking weekend trying to get the sodding thing to run. The local model shop have a late night Thursday and they have a blast session round the big car park, hopefully someone there will be able to help me. I think my glowplug's ok as I've taken it out and it glows. I think it might be a duff air filter. I just need to forget about it now till Thursday or I'll drive myself mad

Old 02 December 2001, 11:27 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
should run even without the air filter, just down to trial and error with the fuel settings probably.
the shop i bought my new 1 from said the kyosho models suffer from fuel tank probs, when air gets in and through the fuel pipe cutting the fuel?
as i mentioned though 7 of us messed about for 2 hours the other night with different makes - protec, cen, kyosho, so must be as it is :-(.
if the shop says u need a new engine let me know as i have a new one just bench run in - cheap

rob
Old 03 December 2001, 08:52 AM
orbv
Scooby Regular

1. Turn the engine by hand, this there a lot of compression?
2. Return the engine fuel settings to factory defaults and re adjust from there.
Old 03 December 2001, 09:38 AM
Scrappy2
Scooby Regular

set your mixture valve first, wind it all the way closed, then open it up 2.5 turns, this should get the engine running. Then give it full throttle and close the needle until the engine pitch doesn't get any higher, this will be the optimum setting. If the car doesn't idle well, you need to adjust the low speed idle screw....
Old 03 December 2001, 10:25 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

cool! I've got a 'grale kyosho nitro car, had it for 4 or five years now! have not used it for a while as the pull starter is knackered. don't suppose anyone has a spare one, or a spare engine for it . would like to get it running again as it's great fun. do remember giving friend nasty brusies on shins when making it jump and he was in the way